PDA

View Full Version : McChrystal Resigns...

angelatc
06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100044536/breaking-general-stanley-mcchrystal-tenders-his-resignation/

From the British Press, even.

John Taylor
06-22-2010, 05:03 PM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100044536/breaking-general-stanley-mcchrystal-tenders-his-resignation/

From the British Press, even.

Unbelievable.

Bruno
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
BP ftw!

oh...

lynnf
06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
guess the Great O showed him, huh?

lynn

angelatc
06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm thinking that the White House is probably trying to figure out a way to blame Bush.

Really though, wasn't the whole "let's put a whole bunch more troops there!" idea McChrystal's? It's not like he's winning or something....

John Taylor
06-22-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking that the White House is probably trying to figure out a way to blame Bush.

Really though, wasn't the whole "let's put a whole bunch more troops there!" idea McChrystal's? It's not like he's winning or something....

Did you guys read the Rolling Stone article? The general has a good head on his shoulders...despite being involved with these conflicts.

speciallyblend
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
obama learned from bush tactics. nothing new here just more bush plays from the bush playbook. the gop neo-con establishment must be having orgasms right now after obama's actions!! bush obama passion meter! love is in the air!!

speciallyblend
06-22-2010, 05:15 PM
guess the Great O showed him, huh?

lynn

he has 2 role models to look up to bush/hitler!!

John Taylor
06-22-2010, 05:16 PM
obama learned from bush tactics. nothing new here just more bush plays from the bush playbook. the gop neo-con establishment must be having orgasms right now after obama's actions!! bush obama passion meter! love is in the air!!

I think the neo-cons actually won't like this, except for those who love to increase the power of the chief executive.

specsaregood
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Personally, I think its all a big play to make the dems seem like they are still on the "anti-war" side, despite all evidence to the contrary. They can ill afford to completely lose the anti-war vote come november.

Bruno
06-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Did you guys read the Rolling Stone article? The general has a good head on his shoulders...despite being involved with these conflicts.

Depends on whom you ask. Pat Tillman's family might have a different opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman#Death

Lt. Gen. Stanley McChrystal approved the Silver Star citation on April 28, 2004, which gave a detailed account of Tillman's death including the phrase "in the line of devastating enemy fire", but the next day he sent a P4 memo warning senior government members that Tillman might actually have been killed by friendly fire.[13] Top commanders within the U.S. Central Command, including former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) General John Abizaid, should have been notified by the P4 memo,[14] which described Tillman's "highly possible" fratricide, four days before Tillman's nationally televised memorial service during which he was lauded as a war hero for dying while engaging the enemy.[15][16]

Jones reported that members of Tillman's unit burned his body armor and uniform in an apparent attempt to hide the fact that he was killed by friendly fire.[17] Perhaps most tragically, his notebook, in which, according to author Jon Krakauer, Tillman had recorded some of his thoughts on Afghanistan, was also burned, a blatant violation of protocol.[18] Several soldiers were subsequently punished for their actions by being removed from the United States Army Rangers.[17] Jones believed that Tillman should retain his medals and promotion, since, according to Jones, he intended to engage the enemy and, in Jones's opinion, behaved heroically.[17]

Tillman's family was not informed of the finding that he was killed by friendly fire until weeks after his memorial service, although at least some senior Army officers knew of that fact prior to the service.[17] According to author and journalist Jon Krakauer's book Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman, the extensive cover-up that followed his death included the military ordering Tillman's comrades to lie to his family at the funeral.[18] Tillman's parents have sharply criticized the Army's handling of the incident; Tillman's father charges that the Army "purposely interfered in the investigation" because of the effect it could have on their recruiting efforts, while Tillman's mother charges that "this lie was to cover their image".[19]

low preference guy
06-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Personally, I think its all a big play to make the dems seem like they are still on the "anti-war" side, despite all evidence to the contrary. They can ill afford to completely lose the anti-war vote come november.

anti-war vote? does that even exist? if so, is it 1.5%?

John Taylor
06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Depends on whom you ask. Pat Tillman's family might have a different opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Tillman#Death

Lt. Gen. Stanley McChrystal approved the Silver Star citation on April 28, 2004, which gave a detailed account of Tillman's death including the phrase "in the line of devastating enemy fire", but the next day he sent a P4 memo warning senior government members that Tillman might actually have been killed by friendly fire.[13] Top commanders within the U.S. Central Command, including former Commander of the United States Central Command (CENTCOM) General John Abizaid, should have been notified by the P4 memo,[14] which described Tillman's "highly possible" fratricide, four days before Tillman's nationally televised memorial service during which he was lauded as a war hero for dying while engaging the enemy.[15][16]

Jones reported that members of Tillman's unit burned his body armor and uniform in an apparent attempt to hide the fact that he was killed by friendly fire.[17] Perhaps most tragically, his notebook, in which, according to author Jon Krakauer, Tillman had recorded some of his thoughts on Afghanistan, was also burned, a blatant violation of protocol.[18] Several soldiers were subsequently punished for their actions by being removed from the United States Army Rangers.[17] Jones believed that Tillman should retain his medals and promotion, since, according to Jones, he intended to engage the enemy and, in Jones's opinion, behaved heroically.[17]

Tillman's family was not informed of the finding that he was killed by friendly fire until weeks after his memorial service, although at least some senior Army officers knew of that fact prior to the service.[17] According to author and journalist Jon Krakauer's book Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman, the extensive cover-up that followed his death included the military ordering Tillman's comrades to lie to his family at the funeral.[18] Tillman's parents have sharply criticized the Army's handling of the incident; Tillman's father charges that the Army "purposely interfered in the investigation" because of the effect it could have on their recruiting efforts, while Tillman's mother charges that "this lie was to cover their image".[19]

Of course, old news. McChrystal acknowledged that he didn't go over the report thoroughly, and that once he did, he sent word up the chain of command. I'm not saying he's perfect... he's clearly not a boy-scout, but he is an excellent soldier.

Theocrat
06-22-2010, 05:26 PM

"The Runaway General" (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/119236?RS_show_page=0)

Bruno
06-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Of course, old news. McChrystal acknowledged that he didn't go over the report thoroughly, and that once he did, he sent word up the chain of command. I'm not saying he's perfect... he's clearly not a boy-scout, but he is an excellent soldier.

Old news can be timely. The Pat Tillman movie is coming out, and McChrystal is under fire.

http://frathousesports.com/the-pat-tillman-story-documentary-movie-trailer/

phill4paul
06-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Haven't had the chance to digest this. Will be interesting.

speciallyblend
06-22-2010, 05:37 PM

we need to call the anti-war dems out on this but the gop needs some credibility to do this and they do not even come close on this subject. the gop needs to change on some issues 360%!! until then the gop really has no credibility to attack dems on non-interventionists policies or anti-war issues!!

if i were the dems i would run on legalized marijuana and call out the gop for their joke of smaller government!!

the gop could gain tons of credibility by supporting ending marijuana prohibition(bigger government) and ending occupation and undeclared wars(bigger government) but like i said on war issues and marijuana/drug war issues. the gop has 0 or negative credibility!

anti-war and the drug war are 2 issues that can WIN ,but the gop has no interest in winning. they are only interested in biggovgop powertrip aka bigger government. the major problem with the gop is credibility!! hopefully we can change that locally but statewide and nationally the gop lacks trust and credibility!

Matt Collins
06-22-2010, 05:41 PM
The impression I got from Ron on CNN's Wolf Blitzer a few hours ago was that Ron approved of him getting the axe.

roho76
06-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Obama will replace him with a community organizer.

Cowlesy
06-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Whatever, he'll just be replaced with a more docile version of McChrystal. McChrystal fully embraced the neoconservative foreign policy.

KCIndy
06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
No U.S. sources have confirmed any resignation yet, have they? So far, the only official word I've heard is that he's being recalled.... although yeah, I'm guessing it's very likely he's getting the axe.

John Taylor
06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Whatever, he'll just be replaced with a more docile version of McChrystal. McChrystal fully embraced the neoconservative foreign policy.

Yeah, that is probably true. I don't dispute that you're right about McChrystal's embrace of neoconservatism... but I do think that because of the civilian control of the military, he was given orders and sought to find the best way of implementing them. Now, he's no angel, but I think he's a fine soldier.---and reading that article actually makes me chuckle a little. He's surrounded by a bunch of genuine roughneck guys who call it like it is... even if they aren't resigning left and right to advocate non-interventionism.

LittleLightShining
06-22-2010, 06:20 PM

I never liked him from the beginning. Good riddance.

Bruno
06-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Either the bloggers source had it wrong, he made the resignment story up, the American msm is a failure or they are allowing Obama to buy time.

Cowlesy
06-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, that is probably true. I don't dispute that you're right about McChrystal's embrace of neoconservatism... but I do think that because of the civilian control of the military, he was given orders and sought to find the best way of implementing them. Now, he's no angel, but I think he's a fine soldier.---and reading that article actually makes me chuckle a little. He's surrounded by a bunch of genuine roughneck guys who call it like it is... even if they aren't resigning left and right to advocate non-interventionism.

Well I didn't say he embraced "neoconservatism," but certainly their view of foreign policy. And I find it hard to blame him for that, as their view of foreign policy glorifies the war machine, which bolsters anyone involved in it.

The guy is a warrior, who is looking for a battle, and the neoconservatives ultimate desire is spread democracy across the planet to make the world safe for democracy (control the planet), so they're the enabler saying, "Stick with us and will let you F up EVERYONE who stands in our way."

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Can we raise General Smedley Butler from the grave? What about Robert E. Lee? ;/

Dr.3D
06-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Well I didn't say he embraced "neoconservatism," but certainly their view of foreign policy. And I find it hard to blame him for that, as their view of foreign policy glorifies the war machine, which bolsters anyone involved in it.

The guy is a warrior, who is looking for a battle, and the neoconservatives ultimate desire is spread democracy across the planet to make the world safe for democracy (control the planet), so they're the enabler saying, "Stick with us and will let you F up EVERYONE who stands in our way."

That is one thing that really puts a burr under my saddle. What in the world do people think when they hear that the United States is "spreading democracy". Don't people understand that our country is not supposed to be a democracy nor does any democracy last very long? The only thing that is supposed to be democratic about our country is the way we elect government.

angelatc
06-22-2010, 06:38 PM
CBS has it now: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/22/eveningnews/main6608286.shtml

charrob
06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
geez... never thought i'd see the day when this would happen... hopefully it's positive and the next general wants to bring the troops home for good.

puppetmaster
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM

he's blaming his guy who booked the interview.....a fine soldier always lays blame....:rolleyes:

Zippyjuan
06-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Even if he did offer to resign (which would not be a surpising move- it gives cover to everyody and shows him as a good soldier- willing to take the consequences of his actions) it is still up to the president to accept or reject it.