PDA

View Full Version : Third Party or Independent? Forget it!

Daveforliberty
10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I posted this on my blog, thefreedommovement.blogspot.com (http://thefreedommovement.blogspot.com). I thought I'd share it here as well:

It seems to me there is a concerted effort in the media to steer Ron Paul toward a third party or independent run. And I use the word “concerted” with its dictionary meaning: “contrived or arranged by agreement; planned or devised together”. In some cases they almost appear to be begging him to do so, flattering him with ideas that it could be more effective. I do not believe this is an accident. The establishment does not want Ron Paul to continue in the Republican party.

If the media can coax Paul into saying he’d consider a non-Republican run, America’s mindset toward him will change. He will diminish in some eyes, confirming to them he “doesn’t really have a legimate chance.”

For others, it means they will stop working inside the Republican party, stop being precinct committee persons, stop trying to send delegates to state and national conventions. The libertarian wing of the Republican party could wither and die, forcing would-be freedom-minded Republican candidates into less-influential third parties.

I want to say this as forcefully as possible: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should Ron Paul leave the Republican party prior to the Republican National Convention. Under no circumstances should he say publicly he will consider leaving, or running on a third party or independent ticket. This is true even if he is not winning enough primaries to secure the nomination outright. He needs to stick it out through all the Republican caucuses and primaries, all the way to the convention, and gather as many delegates as he can. Here’s why:

1) Anything can happen. The economy could collapse. The Middle East situation could continue to deteriorate to the point that Republicans revolt en-masse. Giuliani could be indicted for something. Thompson could have his cancer recur. Romney could hurt himself so bad flip-flopping that he puts himself in the hospital. McCain could blow a fuse, or a blood vessel. Delegates for other candidates could come up for grabs, and Ron is in the best position to grab.

2) I recently heard a reporter ask Ron if he agreed that he will at least make enough of an impact to force Republicans to let him speak at the convention. Ron said yes, that’s something he would be willing to do. Now imagine this. If the votes are close, and Ron Paul makes “the speech” we all know he’s capable of making, it could swing the nomination to him, and inspire the electorate as a whole to sweep him into office. At the very least he would likely propel the libertarian wing of the party into dominance for the foreseeable future.

3) Even if he doesn’t get the nomination, “the speech” will electrify the nation, and make an independent run or even a write-in campaign plausible. I heard Chris Dodd on the radio saying most Democrats are still undecided and one of the biggest things he’s hearing on the campaign trail is how both parties have abandoned the rule of law and the constitution. Just as many Republicans are fed up with the neoconservatives, many Democrats, perhaps even more of them, are incensed with the neo-liberals in Congress, and those running for president. Even the ACLU is buying airtime to trash the Democrats. If they nominate Hillary, many Democrats will be ready to bolt.

So Ron Paul saying “I have no plans to do that,” when asked if he will run outside the party is exactly the right thing for him to say, and to keep saying. Fighting all the way through to the convention is the only way to achieve the greatest likelihood of both a Ron Paul presidency, and a powerful, growing and sustainable freedom movement.

Once again, Ron Paul is smarter than the rest of us.

grfgerger
10-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Agree 100% with this post

Elwar
10-13-2007, 09:53 PM
He might want to respond that with the question:

"How many other candidates have you asked that question?"

libertarianguy
10-13-2007, 09:53 PM
test

McDermit
10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
He isn't going to bow out before the convention. Confirmed by HQ. Guaranteed.

Corydoras
10-13-2007, 10:15 PM
He isn't going to bow out before the convention. Confirmed by HQ. Guaranteed.

September 1 is a long way away. How do you know this?

Badger Paul
10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Agreed. Even if we go third party or independent, what then? Do we grab our 1% of the vote and go home? How can we ask for the loyalties of Republican voters in the future if we strike out on our own because we don't like their verdict in the primaries. If we're going to have any future at all we have to stick it out in the GOP like it or not.

Beerhall Agitator
10-23-2007, 12:17 PM
I agree completely with OP's great post. We are Republican no matter what until we win the nomination, or someone else does. Then plans to run or not to run as a third party should be made, but we shouldn't be concerned with that for the next several months. Ron Paul is a Republican, and we're going for the mainstream, not third party, nomination. Don't let anyone say otherwise.

Original_Intent
10-23-2007, 12:22 PM
First I want to thank the OP for an outstanding post!

Second I would like to address this reply:

Agreed. Even if we go third party or independent, what then? Do we grab our 1% of the vote and go home? How can we ask for the loyalties of Republican voters in the future if we strike out on our own because we don't like their verdict in the primaries. If we're going to have any future at all we have to stick it out in the GOP like it or not.

LOL @ 1%.

Disagree 10,000% with the need to stick it out in the GOP "like it or not" in order to have any future. It is the GOP that should be concerned about having a future, not us!

DjLoTi
10-23-2007, 12:36 PM
I normally don't post for opinion pieces, but YES - - THANK YOU THANK YOU

He is NOT running 3rd party!!!!!

wfd40
10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm guessing that this has already been forwarded onto Campaign HQ?

speciallyblend
10-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I normally don't post for opinion pieces, but YES - - THANK YOU THANK YOU

He is NOT running 3rd party!!!!!

just need one word though, yet;)

the original post is 100% correct ,but never shut the door;)

davidkachel
10-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Thread originator is right.
The only other thing we should do is let the Republican party know that none of us will be voting for ANY Republican candidate BUT Ron Paul. They can either stop destroying this country or face extinction as a party.
I'll vote for Hillary (projectile vomiting) before I vote for any ruling class annointed Republican.
I am not exactly young and this is the last chance I'll have to see liberty in my lifetime.
As far as I'm concerned "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" is not just a historical quote. It's Ron Paul or else.

quickmike
10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
I think the best threat every single Ron Paul supporter can make, is that they will vote for Hillary Clinton in the general out of spite if they dont nominate Ron for the Republican party.:D

Imagine a petition with 2 million names on it stating this. That would scare the crap out of them.