PDA

View Full Version : Democrats spend big to lure Obama's minority and young voters back to the polls

bobbyw24
06-22-2010, 04:39 AM
By Karen Tumulty
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 20, 2010

As political gambles go, it's a big and risky one: $50 million to test the proposition that the Democratic Party's outreach to new voters that helped make Barack Obama president can work in an election where his name is not on the ballot.

The standard rule of midterm elections is that only the most reliable voters show up at the polls, so both parties have traditionally focused on the unglamorous and conventional work that turns out their bases. But this year, the Democrats are doubling down on registering and motivating newer voters -- especially the 15 million heavily minority and young, who made it to the polls for the first time in the last presidential election.

"It's a great experiment to see whether we can bring out voters whose only previous vote was in 2008," said Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.), chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

The party's overall budget for reaching new voters is more than twice as big as the $17 million it spent during the tumultuous 2006 midterm, which returned control of both houses of Congress to the Democrats.

Much about its "Vote 2010" effort has that way-back feel of two years ago: legions of canvassers going door-to-door, a stream of inspirational videos, an e-mail list of more than 13 million, and ads on Web sites including Latina.com, BlackPlanet.com, YELP.com and DailyCandy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/19/AR2010061903034.html

sevin
06-22-2010, 07:15 AM
After how many promises Obama has broken, how do they know these young people will vote democrat again?

Jordan
06-22-2010, 07:25 AM
After how many promises Obama has broken, how do they know these young people will vote democrat again?

Yes, most believe he's "fixing what Bushed screwed up."

However, I don't think there will be as many to show up. Mostly because the novelty of electing the first black president is gone.

VBRonPaulFan
06-22-2010, 08:54 AM

Because unfortunately, most of those young people are completely ignorant and don't pay attention to a damn thing that is going on. I'm only 27, and a lot of people I know that I talk to that are younger than me that voted for Obama 'just dont understand why I'm conservative', yet find themselves unable to debate or argue against any of the points I bring up about the Obama's terrible policies. They've just got it in their head that Obama is the new messiah and he's glorious, so he's got their vote. It's kind of a joke and it's really hard to convince those people otherwise.

Bruno
06-22-2010, 08:56 AM

Look at how many still voted for Bush's second term

roho76
06-22-2010, 09:18 AM
The difference is they don't need to pay us to show up at the polls. They'll just find a way to take the money and not show up? I mean we are talking about welfare cases here. They would get a real job if they had to work for what welfare pays them. This is the mentality that we are dealing with.