PDA

View Full Version : Death Tax Stalemate in the Senate

AuH20
06-21-2010, 10:38 PM
A 55% tax on assets/property worth over a million dollars!!!! What is a million dollars these days? Are they freaking nuts???? Bernie Sanders and Sheldon Whitehouse can throw themselves off a cliff for all I care.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/death_tax_cometh_kkgnkuDdHYvxCxaDEN9vdK?offset=8#c omments

But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is telling his Republican colleagues that he cannot support such a compromise -- like the one hammered out in the House -- because 40 liberal Democrats are threatening to block the compromise measure if Reid brings it to the Senate floor for a vote.

"This issue has moved to the left" and Democrats led by Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) have threatened to fillibuster a bill if it comes to the floor," the source said.

Sen. Reid is telling Republicans he is stuck.

There could be 10,000 more New Yorkers who would file federal estate taxes next year if the threshold is $1 million -- compared to the few thousand who would be taxed at the 2009 rate threshold of $3.5 million, said Michael Mariani, an estate planner with Fiduciary Trust International.

"I think it would have a tremendous impact on New Yorkers," he said.

The estate tax fell to zero this year from 35 percent in 2009 but is scheduled to jump to 55 percent on Jan. 1.

Anti Federalist
06-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Nothing much to see here.

We are all nothing more than vassals of the state.

I'm surprised they let us keep any of it.

cindy25
06-21-2010, 11:23 PM
this is all the fault of Bush.

the had the House, the Senate and the Presidency, and should have just abolished it once and for all when they had the chance