PDA

View Full Version : Media Keeps Outright Making Stuff Up: Rand Paul Supports Bartering for Health Care

low preference guy
06-21-2010, 04:50 PM
What's the quote to support that statement?

"We need to get insurance of out of the way and let the consumer interact with their doctor the way they did basically before World War II"

Wait... it makes sense! I just recalled that money was invented after World War II!

The writer is Sean J. Miller. If you are inclined, please give him or his boss a piece of your mind regarding his journalistic standards.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/senate-races/104575-report-rand-paul-supported-healthcare-bartering

http://thehill.com/contact

specsaregood
06-21-2010, 04:56 PM
What exactly is wrong with bartering? Oh wait, that's right....it is more difficult to tax.

low preference guy
06-21-2010, 04:57 PM
What exactly is wrong with bartering? Oh wait, that's right....it is more difficult to tax.

Nothing wrong. I'm criticizing the way Sean J. Miller makes up a claim that is in no way whatsoever supported by the Rand Paul quote he provides.

specsaregood
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Nothing wrong. I'm criticizing the way Sean J. Miller makes up a claim that is in no way whatsoever supported by the Rand Paul quote he provides.

I gotcha. i particularly enjoyed how he tied it to sue lowden, whom the tea partiers hated and whom they incorrectly claimed it was her bartering chickens comment that cost her the election...guess they figured they would give it a try here as well.

dannno
06-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Bartering.. lol.. I think they mean "bargaining" or "haggling" or "negotiating"

Though there's nothing wrong with bartering, either ;)

Valli6
06-22-2010, 12:03 PM
A story by Elyse Siegel includes this quote followed by a photo of Sue Lowden next to a photo of Paul:

"If you go to the doctor, you don't pay directly for your doctor's services, your insurance company pays for it. ... So the price goes up indiscriminately because nobody is there to barter down the price. What we need is higher-deductible plans, people paying more cash as they go into the doctor, and then what we'll have is the prices will level off."
and

"Former Republican Senate candidate Sue Lowden wasn’t the first candidate in the 2010 election cycle to recommend a bartering system to pay for medical expenses.
It appears that Rand Paul offered the same health care reform solution:
Paul also has advocated medical-savings accounts, which he says would allow patients to pay for care themselves and negotiate lower costs with their doctors. He also has said that higher deductibles are needed to reduce the demand for care, which he says would, in turn, result in lower prices.
"In our country, people primarily get access to health care through insurance, and that is part of the problem," he said on Kentucky Tonight on Jan. 29, 1999.
(plus quote above repeated)

www. huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/22/rand-pauls-long-history-o_n_621071.html#s103748

angelatc
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I gotcha. i particularly enjoyed how he tied it to sue lowden, whom the tea partiers hated and whom they incorrectly claimed it was her bartering chickens comment that cost her the election...guess they figured they would give it a try here as well.

The Democrats got a lot of play out of it though.