PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Warns that Obama 'Shakedown' of BP Part of Larger Agenda

bobbyw24
06-21-2010, 02:16 PM
A tea party favorite running for the U.S. Senate in Kentucky says President Barack Obama is using the Gulf of Mexico oil spill to advance an energy tax.

While Democrats denounce BP for the spill, a Republican congressman from Texas accuses the White House of performing a $20 billion "shakedown" by pushing the company to create a compensation fund for spill victims. Rep. Joe Barton also apologizes to BP Chief Executive Tony Hayward at a Capitol hearing, although he is later pressured by GOP leaders to apologize for his apology.

In the two months since BP's underwater well ruptured and started belching millions of gallons of crude into the Gulf, many conservatives have expressed fears that Obama and his allies will use the spill to make government bigger and intrude more into private enterprise.

Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul of Kentucky said Friday that he was disturbed by Obama's promise to find out "whose ass to kick."

"I'll move past the obvious problem with the appropriateness of the comment to just say this: Look in the mirror Mr. President," Paul said in a statement. "This crisis has been a case study in failure to lead, failure to act, and using a crisis to advance your own agenda rather than solve the problem."

Erin Ryan, a tea party activist in Redding, Calif., said Barton was correct to use the word "shakedown."

"Wow," Ryan said. "Somebody finally said it out loud?"

Conservative talk show host Mark Williams, chairman of the California-based Tea Party Express, said the White House went too far by pressuring BP to create the fund while the Justice Department is conducting criminal and civil probes of the spill.

"I'm accustomed to mobsters behaving that way, I'm just not accustomed to it from the

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/US-Gulf-Oil-Spill/2010/06/21/id/362577

Petar
06-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Rand didn't say anything about a "shakedown", others did.

bobbyw24
06-21-2010, 02:48 PM
VIELEN Dank Petar. You are correct. I should stick to posting only in the morning

LibertarianfromGermany
06-21-2010, 02:55 PM
Paul said in a statement. "This crisis has been a case study in failure to lead, failure to act, and using a crisis to advance your own agenda rather than solve the problem."

I hope he doesn't really mean the bold part; I agree with Ron that the president is not supposed to be the leader and have the responsibility for every problem in the nation that occurs. He (and the rest of the government) should back down and let private individuals sue and remove the limited liability cap.

low preference guy
06-21-2010, 02:57 PM
I hope he doesn't really mean the bold part; I agree with Ron that the president is not supposed to be the leader and have the responsibility for every problem in the nation that occurs. He (and the rest of the government) should back down and let private individuals sue and remove the limited liability cap.

Obama should've led by removing restrictions that prevent foreign countries who offered help to act.

sailingaway
06-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Obama should've led by removing restrictions that prevent foreign countries who offered help to act.

^^ this

LT for the Truth
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM

while I'm in agreement with your statement, how do you prevent BP's high-priced attornies from dragging the cases out for years?

Aratus
06-22-2010, 02:11 PM
there was a tv newsmagazine piece about the waves of lawyers now booking themselves
into seminars for the people along the gulf coast who MAY be impacted as the oil spreads...
evidently the high priced ambulance chaser community Is booking themselves into hotel and
motel rooms, and handing out business cards. i can only wonder if this is keeping a few local
folks afloat. BP vouching for its massive 20 billion payout has indirectly impacted all the lawyers.

Peace&Freedom
06-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Obama's political theater with BP has been conducted to set the stage for passing cap and trade legislation. Because of the discredited global warming/climate rationale the bill was stalled, so a new canard had to be found. BP to the rescue, who fell on their sword by (I think, deliberately) conducting the least efficient oil cleanup in history. The two month, uncapped oil spill now allows Barry to push the bill as a general anti-pollution/beat up the polluters measure, which once passed, can then be expanded by regulation into the full anti-global warming tax scheme they've wanted since jump.