PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court ruling makes ‘it a crime to work for peace and human rights’: CCR

Agorism
06-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Supreme Court ruling makes ‘it a crime to work for peace and human rights’: CCR (http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0621/supreme-court-upholds-material-support-law)

John Taylor
06-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Supreme Court ruling makes ‘it a crime to work for peace and human rights’: CCR (http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0621/supreme-court-upholds-material-support-law)

Haha, I'm pretty sure that's not what the SCOTUS just held.

dannno
06-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Haha, I'm pretty sure that's not what the SCOTUS just held.

Uh, ya it is :confused:

The case involved the Humanitarian Law Project, a human rights group, which the court ruled could face prosecution under the material support statute for providing human rights or conflict resolution training to groups including the Kurdish PKK or the Tamil Tigers.

Seems precisely what they did.

John Taylor
06-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Uh, ya it is :confused:

Come on danno, I was refering the his use of "quotation marks" quoting the SCOTUS... not the holding of the case. :rolleyes:

Instead of posting articles, perhaps posting the actual court decision would be wise...

dannno
06-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Come on danno, I was refering the his use of "quotation marks" quoting the SCOTUS... not the holding of the case. :rolleyes:

Instead of posting articles, perhaps posting the actual court decision would be wise...

I edited that in as quickly as i could, sorry you missed it.

John Taylor
06-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I edited that in as quickly as i could, sorry you missed it.

Haha, moving a little too rapidly this afternoon myself. Too many motions to write and not enough hours in the day!

MelissaWV
06-21-2010, 02:05 PM
/off topic

The quotation mark thing has bothered me for ages, and I've been seeing it a lot more lately. I seriously doubt a decision would contain the exact phrase "it a crime to work for peace and human rights."

The spirit of the ruling, however, is disheartening on many levels.

Elwar
06-21-2010, 02:07 PM

Finally!

dannno
06-21-2010, 02:09 PM
/off topic

The quotation mark thing has bothered me for ages, and I've been seeing it a lot more lately. I seriously doubt a decision would contain the exact phrase "it a crime to work for peace and human rights."

The spirit of the ruling, however, is disheartening on many levels.

The point is that it should NEVER be a crime to work for peace or human rights, as long as you are not violating the rights of others.

When the SCOTUS makes a ruling that it is a crime to work for peace or human rights or protest for certain groups that are in some abstract category that is defined completely subjectively, then you are essentially outlawing the practice for whoever the govt. decides they want to outlaw the practice for.

Soooo.. for example I believe the US Govt. is the biggest terrorist organization in the world.. So apparently every American should be stopped from celebrating the 4th of July and every American should be stopped from paying their taxes because the US govt. is a terrorist organization :confused: That will never happen, but under the definition of the law, they could certainly do that.