PDA

View Full Version : NJ Naval Base on Lockdown

MelissaWV
06-21-2010, 09:33 AM
DEVELOPING: LAKEHURST, N.J. -- Officials have locked down the Naval Air Engineering Center in Lakehurst, N.J.

Median Relations Coordinator Senior Airman David Carbajal says there were several incidents Monday which he is not yet able to provide more information about.

Carbajal says no shots were fired.

The lockdown means traffic can't get in or out of the base, which was where the airship Hindenberg exploded in 1937.

One of the base's main missions centers around equipment used to launch aircraft from aircraft carriers.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/21/nj-naval-base-hindenberg-exploded-locked-spokesman-wont-say/

Is anyone noticing a lot of lockdowns and "states of emergencies" of late? Weird story.

Dr.3D
06-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Do you have a link to that story? I thought perhaps there might be some more information at that link.

Petar
06-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Oh the humanity!

MelissaWV
06-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Do you have a link to that story? I thought perhaps there might be some more information at that link.

Oops. Added the link to the original story. Curiously enough, this was at the top in a "developing story" bar, but now I had to scroll down to teeny text to find it. Either it's a false alarm, or we're supposed to think it is :p Who knows anymore? There's the "lockdown" of the Arizona national park, and the state of emergency situation in Pennsylvania and, of course, the constant situation in the Gulf of Mexico. The National Guard is tending to Montana in the wake of the storm damage there. It's creeping me out.

Pericles
06-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Lockdowns on military installations are common. Usual reason is the unaccountability of a "sensitive item" which could be weapons, night vision gear, or almost anything inventoried by serial number. Depending on what is missing, lockdown can last as long as 24 or 48 hours until the item is found, or the appropriate level of command is satisfied that every reasonable effort has been made to recover the item.

MelissaWV
06-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Lockdowns on military installations are common. Usual reason is the unaccountability of a "sensitive item" which could be weapons, night vision gear, or almost anything inventoried by serial number. Depending on what is missing, lockdown can last as long as 24 or 48 hours until the item is found, or the appropriate level of command is satisfied that every reasonable effort has been made to recover the item.

I would not have looked twice if the phrasing was "suspicious person" or "suspicious package." Their phrasing here is "there were several incidents." It still strikes me as weird. It'll probably turn out to be nothing, but it brought to mind how many areas of our country are currently under some form of lockdown or military "aid."

The base says the 87th Security Forces Squadron responded to simultaneous incidents around 9:30 a.m. Monday.

MelissaWV
06-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, it was all caused by an "armed man" and reports of "shots fired." The former turned out to be a delivery guy with a gun for personal protection. The latter turned out to be unfounded.

LAKEHURST, N.J. – A military spokeswoman says a delivery driver with a gun and something that sounded like gunfire caused officials to lock down a Navy base in Lakehurst, N.J.

Base spokeswoman Angel Lopez says security forces detained a delivery driver at one base entrance gate after he told them that he had a gun for personal protection. He was given a ticket and released.

Around the same time, Lopez says someone reported hearing shots fired at another entrance gate. Lopez says security forces did not find any sign that a gun had been fired and believe the report was unfounded.

The lockdown lasted for about an hour Monday.

The Lakehurst base is perhaps best known as the spot where the airship Hindenberg exploded in 1937.

Aratus
06-21-2010, 11:55 AM
fort dix is nearby?

Monarchist
06-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Oh the humanity!

I get it. LOL

fort dix is nearby?

Yes, right in the next county.