PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul shows support of Gary Johnson as potential 2012 candidate

emazur
06-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Paul, whose anti-Iraq war views won him jeers at some Republican events in 2008, says a Libertarian-minded GOP candidate will be better received when Obama runs for re-election. But he cautioned that he himself has not decided to run. “It’s too early for me to talk much about that because I haven’t made a decision. I haven’t ruled it out, but I’m not on the verge of making a decision anytime soon,” Paul said.

Asked to name other potential presidential candidates he could support, Paul replied, “I guess the best one would be Johnson from New Mexico — Gary Johnson.”

Johnson, an ultra-marathon runner who was governor from 1995 to 2003 and endorsed Paul in 2008, is beloved by Libertarians for his many vetoes and privatizations while in office, and for championing school choice and drug decriminalization.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/21/ron-paul-says-gop-will-be-more-open-to-libertarian-minded-nominee-in-2012/#ixzz0rT9taKYr

And WTF is David Boaz's problem?

“You can’t nominate just anybody, you have to nominate somebody,” Boaz said. “And plausible Libertarian-minded candidates are hard to find. Ron Paul may make some noise, and may run, but House members don’t get nominated for president. Gary Johnson has a great Libertarian record, but he doesn’t yet have much national recognition.”

Boaz did say that “a governor with a good record, like Mitch Daniels or Chris Christie, might be a candidate who could attract support from conservatives, lLbertarians, and independents,” if they could get around Romney.

First of all, Barack Obama was virtually unknown until he started his '07 campaign. Secondly, there is a tea party shake up of the establishment going on. And third, Ron Paul obviously does well with libertarians and independents, and "conservatives" will vote for whoever the hell the Republican party nominates. John McCain anyone? And besides that, RP even has some appeal to the left, while Obama's popularity there continues to wane.

Kregisen
06-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Ron Paul should run in 2012 with Gary Johnson's endorsement, and in 2016 Gary Johnson can run with Paul's endorsement.

0zzy
06-21-2010, 01:47 AM
I was too distracted by the word "Libertarian" (big-L) used 17-freakin times.

someone fire their editors!

0zzy
06-21-2010, 01:48 AM
Ron Paul should run in 2012 with Gary Johnson's endorsement, and in 2016 Gary Johnson can run with Paul's endorsement.

I say none run for President in 2012. Gary Johnson should run for Senator, Ron should remain where he is, Rand should dominate in the Senate, and we should promote MARK SANFO...oh, nvm.

damn you Mark, DAMN YOU TO HELL!

RonPaulFanInGA
06-21-2010, 02:08 AM
I say none run for President in 2012. Gary Johnson should run for Senator, Ron should remain where he is, Rand should dominate in the Senate, and we should promote MARK SANFO...oh, nvm.

damn you Mark, DAMN YOU TO HELL!

Yep. Sanford was our guy who could win and he frickin' blew it because he couldn't keep his pants zipped.

Johnson and Rand Paul for Senate. Ron Paul for President. Why not? I doubt Ron Paul will stay in the U.S. Congress much longer regardless, why not just go for it?

t0rnado
06-21-2010, 02:18 AM
Johnson believes gay marriage should be legal and that abortions should be legal while Ron Paul differs on those issues. I'd vote for him without hesitation, but I doubt that Republicans would back anyone that supports freedom.

lynnf
06-21-2010, 02:41 AM
Johnson believes gay marriage should be legal and that abortions should be legal while Ron Paul differs on those issues. I'd vote for him without hesitation, but I doubt that Republicans would back anyone that supports freedom.

you are right about that result, but not the reason.

even freedom has its limits, and on those two issues Johnson would be out of the running for me.

paleocon -- lynn

Corto_Maltese
06-21-2010, 04:54 AM
I thought that Ron personally opposes gay marrige but that he acknoledges that government has no business in a volentary union.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=QGaBAb_oS84&feature=related
Anyway, Gary Johnson seems to be a very good and honest man and I belive he is a good choise for president. Still laugh when i watch the clip where Schiff just tells him bluntly "...Why dont you just run for president?"

itshappening
06-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Johnson is states rights on aborton and was endorsed by anti-abortion groups as Governor of New Mexico

the main problem with Johnson is his profile. Ron has got to make his mind up early and if he's not running get behind Johnson so we have plenty of time to build him up.

If Johnson is committed he then has to get to Iowa and New Hampshire and work it like a demon, like Rand did in Kentucky. It WILL pay off and give him a chance.

specsaregood
06-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Gary Johnson has a great Libertarian record, but he doesn’t yet have much national recognition.”

Boaz did say that “a governor with a good record, like Mitch Daniels or Chris Christie, might be a candidate who could attract support from conservatives, lLbertarians, and independents,” if they could get around Romney.

Chris Christie's gubernatorial record is just over a year long. Not much of a record if you ask me. His biggest claim is that he is opposing the majority party.

RM918
06-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Yep. Sanford was our guy who could win and he frickin' blew it because he couldn't keep his pants zipped.

Johnson and Rand Paul for Senate. Ron Paul for President. Why not? I doubt Ron Paul will stay in the U.S. Congress much longer regardless, why not just go for it?

Would you rather the Mistress thing had popped up before or DURING a presidential run? It would've happened eventually, good thing it happened before people started seriously considering him.

As for Johnson, it's pointless in 2012 in my opinion. Paul's polling nationally at 6% and it took us years to get him as high and recognized as he is now. Even starting now for Johnson, it'd be 2007 all over again even with Paul's endorsement. Johnson just isn't Paul, his profile is far too low.

Elwar
06-21-2010, 07:40 AM
And WTF is David Boaz's problem?

Boaz is in bed with Rupert Murdoch. He's no libertarian.

I think Ron Paul has the national recognition, and if he's up for it and the winds are right he should run.

Otherwise, Johnson is a great candidate. He's out there right now doing what needs to be done to win. He's not out there getting national attention with the general public, he's out there going to Republican conferences, conventions, etc.

He's going to places that Republican primary voters go. He won in his state as an outsider, bumping out the establishment Republican and was re-elected in a big way.

At this point, you're not splitting anything by supporting them both.

http://www.TheRonPaulTeaParty.com
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

specsaregood
06-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Otherwise, Johnson is a great candidate. He's out there right now doing what needs to be done to win. He's not out there getting national attention with the general public, he's out there going to Republican conferences, conventions, etc.

He's going to places that Republican primary voters go.

Really? Everytime I hear him going somewhere it is to a liberal audience talking about pot. Hardly a winning topic for the Republican primaries.

MRoCkEd
06-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I just can't get excited about Johnson...
He's a good guy, but he doesn't have the understanding of the issues like Ron.
Also, a pro-choice, open-borders Republican who spends most of his time talking about legalizing pot is not going anywhere in the GOP primaries, especially starting off with no name recognition.

Ron Paul 2012.

sailingaway
06-21-2010, 08:05 AM
I just can't get excited about Johnson...
He's a good guy, but he doesn't have the understanding of the issues like Ron.
Also, a pro-choice, open-borders Republican who spends most of his time talking about legalizing pot is not going anywhere in the GOP primaries, especially starting off with no name recognition.

Ron Paul 2012.

This, exactly. However, it also says Ron might run. That I could get behind.

" As for what it would take to get him to run in 2012, Paul said it all depends on if the economy is still in shambles and troops are still bogged down in Afghanistan. He said he hopes he’s wrong, but thinks that will still be the case.

“I suspect the economic crisis is going to get a lot worse,” he said. “If it is, than the country becomes even more open to free-market alternatives. And I think that is going to stir my interest.”

Elwar
06-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Nebraska RLC Hosts Governor Gary Johnson, Holds 2010 Convention (http://www.rlc.org/2010/06/20/nebraska-convention/)

YouTube - Gary Johnson Rocks the Tax Day Tea Party! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI3dkUfD6Fg)

former Governor of New Mexico and Honorary Chairman of the OUR America Initiative, announced today he will be visiting New Hampshire for a third time, speaking at public events and meeting with various political organizations. Governor Johnson is scheduled to speak at the Annual Porcupine Freedom Festival in Lancaster, N.H., on Sunday, June 27th, as the closing keynote speaker, (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/press/road-tour-continues,1346515.html)

Future Senator Mike Lee and former Gov. Gary Johnson Address Republican Liberty Caucus of Utah (http://www.rlc.org/2010/06/10/lee-and-johnson/)

Gary Johnson, the former governor of New Mexico, is apparently planning a trip to Iowa in July to participate in RABGRAI. (http://iowafreedomreport.com/?p=125)

Thank you to the Maryland GOP for having me come and speak today. I'm now hitting the road for the RLC event up in Arlington, VA tonight. (http://twitter.com/GovGaryJohnson)

The Charlottesville Republican Committee, along with the Albemarle County Republican Committee and the Republican Liberty Caucus of Virginia, will host an appearance by former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson (http://ricksincerethoughts.blogspot.com/2010/04/former-nm-governor-gary-johnson-to.html)

Central Valley Tea Party Speech (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=417360220630&ref=mf)

He's been on Fox News and Fox Business quite a bit, including Hannity, Cavuto, Napolitano, Stossel, etc.

TortoiseDream
06-21-2010, 08:42 AM
First of all, Barack Obama was virtually unknown until he started his '07 campaign. Secondly, there is a tea party shake up of the establishment going on. And third, Ron Paul obviously does well with libertarians and independents, and "conservatives" will vote for whoever the hell the Republican party nominates. John McCain anyone? And besides that, RP even has some appeal to the left, while Obama's popularity there continues to wane.

Ron has a much better chance of getting the nomination in 2012 than in 2008, that much is clear, and probably a better chance than Johnson. To be honest, I just don't see Gary Johnson winning the nomination. Ron is so much more inspiring, and I think the Tea Party would go nuts for him if he ran. Johnson is also not a very good debater, he obviously understands the issues but he doesn't know how to win a debate. Paul, on the other hand, has proven time and time again his ownage skills. It's clear that that association might garner some negativity, as most members of the Tea Party aren't all that bright (justifiably angry, but not quite sure why), and one campaign tactic is associativity (to types like Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck). I think Paul's honesty will triumph in the end, however.

Let's get real here, the only man for the job is Ron, if he so decides.

Peace&Freedom
06-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Paul should run again in 2012, though I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't because of the age issue. Either way he should decide right after the mis term elections, so if he doesn't run he can throw support behind Johnson or other liberty candidate, who we could then work on building up for the 2012 cycle. Johnson would be a suitable VP choice for Paul, even counting his variations on some cultural issues, because Gary speaks the same language of principle as Paul, and so could reconcile the differences.

rich34
06-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't intend to be mean or anything, but to hell with Gary Johnson! It's all RON PAUL or nothing! I'm not dumping any of my hard earned money into anybody elses coughers other than Ron Paul for president. And oh yeah...Gary who?

itshappening
06-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Gary has to stop mentioning drugs in his stump and be more like Rand, some of what he said was good like on Afghanistan and Iraq and how he sold it but on drugs it's not an easy sell to GOP primary voters so instead talk about the budget etc or something else...

If Ron doesn't run I hope Johnson does with grassroots guidiance I think he can sharpen up his message and if he pounds Iowa and New Hampshire and has the money , he can do well. remember Huck in Iowa, he had a lot less money than us but better organization, said and did the right things and ended up victorious.

We need Johnson to do similar and to take aim at Romney, take him on like Rand took on Trey and frame the race in Iowa voters minds between those 2. Ron should do the same if he runs, drop educating the public and go after Romney, healthcare in MA and his flip flops on abortion

silentshout
06-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I like both of them equally, actually my cultural views are more in line with Johnson's, but i think Ron would do better as more people know who he is.

itshappening
06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
yes but Ron needs to go after Romney

generic ads in Iowa isnt going to work. Huck went after Romney and got the god vote too. that's the key . also, organizing it properly so we swamp a low turn out caucus

we can win in Iowa with either candidate if they ran the right campaign

acptulsa
06-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Republicans vote for whomever is nominated and someone who wants to end the Modern Prohibition can't get nominated.

Maybe. But I think we're changing the rules more than that. I'm not sure these things that were always impossible will always be impossible.

I think if Johnson has a real weakness, it's that he's too low key to fire people up when he appears in person.

itshappening
06-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Iowa and New Hampshire is all that matters

if in their heads the race involves one of our candidates then that is enough

we have to be negative and take on Romney while also selling our candidate as a champion of freedom and fiscal responsibility

I honestly believe if we're organized enough and slick enough we can win in Iowa with anyone we get behind. I do believe Ron's celebrity helps though but we can win with anyone if we put our money and opur mouth is and if Ron actively worked for the candidate through CFL and fundraising which he has indicated he would do for Johnson

Imagine millions of dollars of ads hitting Iowa airwaves for months. They will think in their heads the race is between our candidate and the establishment, likely Romney. Imagine us trashing Romney day after day, night after night. we squeeze all the other pretenders out and make ourselves players

It doesn't matter if Johnson isnt known widely, he will be known on election night when he wins

Elwar
06-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Republicans vote for whomever is nominated and someone who wants to end the Modern Prohibition can't get nominated.

When Johnson first started getting back out in the public I was hoping he would stay away from the drug war because it's Republicans he has to win over, not anyone else. I figured he'd focus on fiscal matters, etc.

But after seeing what he's done with it, it's worked out fairly well for him. He's considered an expert on the drug war issue and that's why he's brought onto TV shows and different interviews. Nobody would be calling on him to come and talk about how we need to balance the budget or cut spending. You can get any number of Republicans to come talk about that. The drug war is Johnson's niche and whenever it comes up, he is brought in.

And he does it well for Republicans, focussing on the fiscal side of it. Telling them about how over 80% of current inmates are in jail because of the drug war and how much money could be saved and focussed on real criminals if his plan is put into place. I've seen conservative talking heads say "well, that makes sense".

Also, it's what he knows...I consider Ron Paul a statesman. He knows everything involving government from top to bottom. Johnson isn't as well versed on federal issues as Ron Paul and you can see it in some of his interviews. He has a year to get fine tuned on the other issues but for now, talking mainly about the drug war and throwing out other fiscal issues, he shows an expertise and knowledge that you'd want from a presidential candidate. He's no statesman for sure, but he's on the right side when it comes to the issues.

t0rnado
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
A few people mentioned Huckabee, but I highly doubt he has any chances of getting the nomination. After two felons, who Huckabee pardoned as Governor of Arkansas, went on rampages and murdered more people, I remember a bunch of news outlets stating that his political career was pretty much over. He pardoned them because they became Evangelicals and found Jesus in prison.

As for Romney, he will not get the Evangelical, Baptist, Methodist vote because he is a Mormon. I obviously can't say that every single Evangelical will not vote for him, but I'd presume that the majority will not.

libertybrewcity
06-21-2010, 07:11 PM
i would definitely like to see johnson run as senator instead of president. his speach at the r4r shows his lack of speaking skills.

he his young. he has time to develop a record more than governor more than a decade ago. yes, if he did run for president and ron didn't i would absolutely support him but i would less optimistic about his candidacy. he has practically no national name recognition and those that do know him outside the ron paul circles likely do so for his views on the drug war.

libertybrewcity
06-21-2010, 07:13 PM
A few people mentioned Huckabee, but I highly doubt he has any chances of getting the nomination. After two felons, who Huckabee pardoned as Governor of Arkansas, went on rampages and murdered more people, I remember a bunch of news outlets stating that his political career was pretty much over. He pardoned them because they became Evangelicals and found Jesus in prison.

As for Romney, he will not get the Evangelical, Baptist, Methodist vote because he is a Mormon. I obviously can't say that every single Evangelical will not vote for him, but I'd presume that the majority will not.

it would tough for romney to get the evangelical vote. he has a lot that he would have to take care of were he to receive the nomination. his health care record would be thrown around during the primary. he is mormon but he might not be able to attract the independents needed.

im sure if ron paul ran again this time his endorsement of non-republican candidate would attract more attention. i would think that the third party choices would be much better this time around.

MozoVote
06-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Ugh.

Huckabee, Romney.

UGGHHHH!!

I was willing to at least give some thought to the rest of the GOP field in 2007. Tancredo and Hunter were decent in some regards. Maybe I could have stomached sleep-aid Thompson if I had to.

But I will vote Libertarian if it's Schmuckabee or FlipFlopney.

White Knight
06-22-2010, 12:03 AM

I know I wouldn't vote for anyone who supports those two positions.

aspiringconstitutionalist
06-23-2010, 12:41 PM

True, but Johnson is a federalist on these issuse. He has said he would not have gay marriage legalized on the federal level, and he would seek to repeal Roe V Wade.

.Tom
06-23-2010, 01:01 PM
If the government is going to be involved in marriage, why shouldn't gays be allowed to marry?

I thought this was a libertarian forum...

RM918
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Ugh.

Huckabee, Romney.

UGGHHHH!!

I was willing to at least give some thought to the rest of the GOP field in 2007. Tancredo and Hunter were decent in some regards. Maybe I could have stomached sleep-aid Thompson if I had to.

But I will vote Libertarian if it's Schmuckabee or FlipFlopney.

Remember about the same time when Giuliani was front-runner? Anything can happen.

speciallyblend
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Remember about the same time when Giuliani was front-runner? Anything can happen.

bottom line is Ron Paul or Gary Johnson for the gop in 2012 or i will be looking elsewhere. if the gop doesn't wake up after nov 2010 election. then they will deserve to lose in 2012!!

White Knight
06-23-2010, 01:22 PM
If the government is going to be involved in marriage, why shouldn't gays be allowed to marry?

It's a paleo-libertarian forum (Ron Paul is one). HUGE difference.

acptulsa
06-24-2010, 12:39 PM

You're right on two counts, as far as I'm concerned. The government should not be involved. And gays should be allowed to do anything that does others no harm.

I think you're mistaking a conversation about political chances, political techniques and simple realities for something more philosophical.