PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul on growth of libertarianism and whether he would run in 2012

sailingaway
06-20-2010, 11:59 PM
" Ron Paul says he hasn’t decided if he’ll challenge President Obama for re-election in 2012, but he does predict that Republicans will be more open than they were in 2008 to nominating a Libertarian-minded candidate.

“I think there’s no doubt about it,” Paul said in an interview with The Daily Caller.

This year, Libertarian-Republican candidates for the U.S. Senate — like Paul’s son Rand Paul in Kentucky and Sharron Angle in Nevada — have won Republican primaries with the help of the Tea Party support. Noting the “big Libertarian influence in the Tea Party movement,” Paul says Libertarian beliefs are making their way into the lexicon of traditional Republicans.

“I think even the issue of the Federal Reserve — that issue is almost mainstream,” he said. “And I think things have shifted because of the financial crisis as well as the bogging down of our foreign policy. So the American people are looking for some different answers.”

[discusses what would make him run more at link]

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/21/ron-paul-says-gop-will-be-more-open-to-libertarian-minded-nominee-in-2012/#ixzz0rSqxXJDl

low preference guy
06-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Great article. In summary, the closer to hell the country is, the most likely Ron will run.

As for what it would take to get him to run in 2012, Paul said it all depends on if the economy is still in shambles and troops are still bogged down in Afghanistan. He said he hopes he’s wrong, but thinks that will still be the case.

“I suspect the economic crisis is going to get a lot worse,” he said. “If it is, than the country becomes even more open to free-market alternatives. And I think that is going to stir my interest.”

sailingaway
06-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Great article. In summary, the closer to hell the country is, the most likely Ron will run.

So the chances seem pretty good......

low preference guy
06-21-2010, 12:09 AM
So the chances seem pretty good......

Which doesn't cheer me very much, as it won't be fun to have riots in the street when going to buy food from the store.

sailingaway
06-21-2010, 12:14 AM
Which doesn't cheer me very much, as it won't be fun to have riots in the street when going to buy food from the store.

I was being rueful, not gleeful.

Knightskye
06-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Says the former Republican governor of New Mexico: “I am endorsing Ron Paul for the Republican nomination for president because of his commitment to less government, greater liberty, and lasting prosperity for America. We are at a point in this country where we need to reduce our dependency on government and regain control of our future. To this end, Ron Paul will bring back troops, end the War in Iraq, and will strengthen the U.S. dollar and the economy. For these reasons and more, Ron Paul has my support, respect, and vote.”
January 21, 2008

roho76
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I hope he's right but I have a feeling the'll just throw a coat of paint on Romney and shove that turd out to the people. They will never learn.

AminCad
06-21-2010, 09:41 PM
It's catching on, I'm telling ya.

rich34
06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Gary Johnson, imo, will in no way unite the types of people that Ron Paul does nor will he be able to build the name recognition that it took Ron years to do. The simple truth if Ron Paul is our only hope and even those odds aren't the best. I'm not throwing my hard earned money into Gary Johnson..

klamath
06-23-2010, 05:23 PM
The only way RP can win is for the economy to get a LOT worse. Bad situation to be in.

FreeTraveler
06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
If we're gonna talk governors for Prez, what about Chris Christie(NJ) or Mitch Daniels(IN)? Why someone from a state with few voters and little national visibility?

trey4sports
06-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Gary Johnson, imo, will in no way unite the types of people that Ron Paul does nor will he be able to build the name recognition that it took Ron years to do. The simple truth if Ron Paul is our only hope and even those odds aren't the best. I'm not throwing my hard earned money into Gary Johnson..

well, i doubt ron will ever be president. It's a very sad truth....

but IF Ron runs in 2012 it will be the largest grassroots campaign in the history of politics. millions will be awoken from their debt-riddled, status-quo infested apathy.

2012 will serve as the most important presidential election we've ever seen.

can you imagine the strength, money, and foundation that we can bring to the table if Ron runs?...

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-23-2010, 08:33 PM
but IF Ron runs in 2012 it will be the largest grassroots campaign in the history of politics. millions will be awoken from their debt-riddled, status-quo infested apathy.

yes it would.

Ron Paul or broke!