PDA

View Full Version : No Bank Account for The Homeless?

polomertz
06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Just got back from Chase, I told them I wanted them to delete my address because my current residence is not permanent, I'll be traveling for the next month or so, & then moving again. They told me they had to have an address in there because of THE PATRIOT ACT. I asked them if a homeless person could have an account & they said nope.
What kind of bullcrap is that?!??!?

Agorism
06-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Can you just make up an address? temporary friends house or something

heavenlyboy34
06-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Now you see how the creeping evil of government affects your life, even when it claims to be "protecting" you. ;) Thanks for sharing, OP.

polomertz
06-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Can you just make up an address? temporary friends house or something

Yes, I used my parents' house. I don't think everybody has that luxury though. What if you live in an RV or on a boat? Or if you're homeless & have no family but just got a job & don't want to keep cash back at your cardboard box? I guess a PO box is an option but that costs money & if you're traveling a lot & don't know where you're going to end up, that ain't gonna work.

puppetmaster
06-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I have made up addresses for alot of things including drivers licenses

polomertz
06-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Now you see how the creeping evil of government affects your life, even when it claims to be "protecting" you. ;) Thanks for sharing, OP.

I wasn't that pissed until they told me it was because of The Patriot Act. I would've perhaps just switched banks which I've wanted to do anyways for a while. I hear a huge portion of the homless people in this country are veterans so they get screwed over once again.

erowe1
06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
You should put the bank's own address in as yours.

puppetmaster
06-19-2010, 05:59 PM
use General delivery in your town....

malkusm
06-19-2010, 06:11 PM
What does Michael (ronpaulhawaii) use as his address? :p

Jordan
06-19-2010, 06:16 PM
The PATRIOT Act has a lot to do with spying on Americans, but many people don't realize how much it has to do with finance as well. As part of the Act, the government is tasked with the job of stopping money laundering by requesting more forms of ID for brokerage accounts, bank accounts, etc.

I remember opening a brokerage account prior to the PATRIOT Act then one shortly after. The differences are huge. You used to be able to open an account without a SSN, confirmation of your mailing address and other now "vital" pieces of information. Try doing that today.

LibForestPaul
06-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Just got back from Chase, I told them I wanted them to delete my address because my current residence is not permanent, I'll be traveling for the next month or so, & then moving again. They told me they had to have an address in there because of THE PATRIOT ACT. I asked them if a homeless person could have an account & they said nope.

tinfoilhat rant:
Will all 'residents' of the US have an address in the future requirement?i.e. Will one be required to have a permanent address, maintained with HomeLand Security, Post Master General, and Treasury/Internal Revenue Service as well as Centers for Medicare/Medicaid? In the near future, this conundrum of yours will be solved by government.

Travlyr
06-20-2010, 04:09 AM
MailLink (http://www.maillinkplus.com/) You can view your mail online wherever you are and have it forwarded to you if necessary. :cool:

It's cool because it's not a P.O. Box. You get a street address. :)

libertythor
06-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Just leave the address as is for now. You can even have it diverted to a cheap PO box while you are gone.

constituent
06-20-2010, 07:25 AM
The homeless can't afford bank accounts.

The overdraft fees eat their lunch.

teamrican1
06-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes, I used my parents' house. I don't think everybody has that luxury though. What if you live in an RV or on a boat? Or if you're homeless & have no family but just got a job & don't want to keep cash back at your cardboard box? I guess a PO box is an option but that costs money & if you're traveling a lot & don't know where you're going to end up, that ain't gonna work.

Actually the PO Box isn't an option. A bank will send stuff to a PO Box, but they won't (or more accurately the Government won't let them) give you a bank account with a PO Box. I travel between Brazil and the USA and had no permanent US address for over a year at one point so I know the horror of the Patriot Act (and the previous poster is correct- the true target of the Patriot Act was Finance, not Terrorism) when it comes to banking. Indirectly, I did use a PO Box, but what you need the PO Box for is to get documentation supporting the fact you live where your drivers license says you do (even though you don't). You can request a Voter ID card and other stuff be sent to your PO Box. The actual card will still have your now fake permanent DL residence on it and you can use that as proof of residence to maintain your fake permanent address permanently. In short, it's all very doable but it is a major pain in the arse and the government forces you to lie and I suppose commit what are technically felonies all just to open a stupid bank account. And to the OP's homeless person example, it probably is close to impossible because they don't have the money or knowledge to game the system. Brazil is just as bad in different ways btw, but that country was always like that so it isn't as depressing. Opening a bank account in Vietnam, on the other hand, was the easiest, most hassle free experience of my life. Great country too.

HOLLYWOOD
06-20-2010, 09:36 AM
The PATRIOT Act has a lot to do with spying on Americans, but many people don't realize how much it has to do with finance as well. As part of the Act, the government is tasked with the job of stopping money laundering by requesting more forms of ID for brokerage accounts, bank accounts, etc.

I remember opening a brokerage account prior to the PATRIOT Act then one shortly after. The differences are huge. You used to be able to open an account without a SSN, confirmation of your mailing address and other now "vital" pieces of information. Try doing that today.

Bank Secrecy Act

Here you all go... enjoy reading the latest on the Bank Secrecy Act of 2007 with amendments to 2010.

http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/documents/BSA_AML_Man_2010.pdf

Here's the opening salvo on the American people.

In 1970, Congress passed the Currency and Foreign Transactions Reporting Act commonly known as the “Bank Secrecy Act,”2 which established requirements for recordkeeping and reporting by private individuals, banks,3 and other financial institutions. The BSA was designed to help identify the source, volume, and movement of currency and other monetary instruments transported or transmitted into or out of the United States or deposited in financial institutions. The statute sought to achieve that objective by requiring individuals, banks, and other financial institutions to file currency reports with the U.S. Department of the Treasury (U.S. Treasury), properly identify persons conducting transactions, and maintain a paper trail by keeping appropriate records of financial transactions. These records enable law enforcement and regulatory agencies to pursue investigations of criminal, tax, and regulatory violations, if warranted, and provide evidence useful in prosecuting money laundering and other financial crimes.

The Money Laundering Control Act of 1986 augmented the BSA’s effectiveness by adding the interrelated sections 8(s) and 21 to the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (FDIA) and section 206(q) of the Federal Credit Union Act (FCUA), which sections apply equally to banks of all charters.4 The Money Laundering Control Act of 1986 precludes circumvention of the BSA requirements by imposing criminal liability on a person or financial institution that knowingly assists in the laundering of money, or that structures transactions to avoid reporting them. The 1986 statute directed banks to establish and maintain procedures reasonably designed to ensure and monitor compliance with the reporting and recordkeeping requirements of the BSA. As a result, on January 27, 1987, all federal banking agencies issued essentially similar regulations requiring banks to develop programs for BSA compliance.

The 1992 Annunzio–Wylie Anti-Money Laundering Act strengthened the sanctions for BSA violations and the role of the U.S. Treasury. Two years later, Congress passed the Money Laundering Suppression Act of 1994 (MLSA), which further addressed the U.S. Treasury’s role in combating money laundering.

In April 1996, a Suspicious Activity Report (SAR) was developed to be used by all banking organizations in the United States. A banking organization is required to file a 2 31 USC 5311 et seq., 12 USC 1829b, and 1951 – 1959. Also refer to 12 USC 1818(s) (federally insured depository institutions) and 12 USC 1786(q) (federally insured credit unions).

3 Under the BSA, as implemented by 31 CFR 103.11, the term “bank” includes each agent, agency, branch or office within the United States of commercial banks, savings and loan associations, thrift institutions, credit unions, and foreign banks. The term “bank” is used throughout the manual generically to refer to the financial institution being examined.
4 12 USC 1818(s), 1829(b), and 1786(q), respectively.

MelissaWV
06-20-2010, 10:04 AM
I remember needing a valid mailing address years ago to open an account. It might just have been bank policy, but it seems like a fair one (unless you're opting for a paperless account). There needs to be an address to which statements go, and banks need to inform you of changes in terms and conditions (even without the Government, this would happen from time to time).

"The homeless" generally don't get involved in having bank accounts, because liquidity is important and you don't know where you'll be at any given time. Depositing money and taking it out, or using an ATM card, are hassles when you are permanently on foot. Cards get lost or stolen a lot if you're on the street. If you ARE "homeless" and need an account to start getting back on your feet, many churches or shelters will accept mail for you for a time. There are also now services online as previously mentioned, though those require a bit more technical know-how and for one to keep close to the library or employment centers to use a computer regularly.

specsaregood
06-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Actually the PO Box isn't an option.
No, a PO box isn't an option for many of the reasons you stated. That is why you get a PMB like the link Travlyr provided. PO boxes are government owned, PMB are privately owned and act just like an apartment address. Those are what most people that are on the move full-time such as RV'ers, boaters use. You can get the PMB company to fwd your mail (even fedex it) to wherever you want, whenever you want. For many years I had a las vegas PMB address on my drivers license.

Zulator
06-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Go to a different branch and ask someone else higher up or call their customer service without mentioning this incident. I once went to a bank in a state I didn't live permanently in to open an account. The first branch I went to, inside a grocery store, the little prick helping me told me I needed to have a drivers license for that state "because of the patriot act". Having worked in the lending industry, this sounded fishy to me.

I went to another real branch location and the woman signed me up without hesitation. I told her I was staying there temporarily and my regular bank didn't have any branches in that state so I needed a bank there. She never mentioned the patriot act or any such thing. Many times some of the people working either don't know what the patriot act says, or they just don't want to do it.

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I remember needing a valid mailing address years ago to open an account. It might just have been bank policy, but it seems like a fair one (unless you're opting for a paperless account). There needs to be an address to which statements go, and banks need to inform you of changes in terms and conditions (even without the Government, this would happen from time to time).

All of that can be sent to a specific branch location.

Philhelm
06-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Who really cares about the homeless? In our society, one's wealth is directly proportional to one's virtue. Being poor is akin to being immoral, unintelligent, and beneath contempt. Why should our society give a second chance to those who have proven themselves incompetent in terms of Social Darwinism?

While the government makes things more difficult for honest people who may be down on their luck, the main problem in my opinion is how we as a society look towards those who have fewer Federal Reserve Notes than others do.

MelissaWV
06-20-2010, 02:28 PM
All of that can be sent to a specific branch location.

If the bank has no reason to believe you will "check your mail" at a specific branch location, they are open to an awful lot of liability when they do change their terms. You can claim you had no idea, and were never informed. Of course, as I mentioned, with online banking you can receive all of those notices *instantly* via email which you agree to check for messages, and you can check your balance/statement online as well.

Matt Collins
06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Don't forget HR 3174 a bill designed to FORCE everyone to use a national ID to use a bank:

Photo Identification Security Act
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.3174.IH:

Omphfullas Zamboni
06-20-2010, 03:02 PM
MailLink (http://www.maillinkplus.com/) You can view your mail online wherever you are and have it forwarded to you if necessary. :cool:

It's cool because it's not a P.O. Box. You get a street address. :)

Hi,

For people looking for the sort of thing, I've read some good stuff about virtualpostmail.com.

Review (http://www.michaelbridgman.com/2010/03/getting-rid-of-snail-mail-part-1/).

Cheers,
Omphfullas Zamboni

Matt Collins
06-20-2010, 03:46 PM
you should ask them what to do if you don't have a mailing address for a temporary period of time? :confused:

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-20-2010, 04:45 PM
If the bank has no reason to believe you will "check your mail" at a specific branch location, they are open to an awful lot of liability when they do change their terms. You can claim you had no idea, and were never informed. Of course, as I mentioned, with online banking you can receive all of those notices *instantly* via email which you agree to check for messages, and you can check your balance/statement online as well.

They are only obligated to perform some kind of reasonable notification which is sending notice to your address of record. It's your own fault if you don't pick up mail (same applies if it is your own mailbox at the end of your driveway) the same way it is your own fault if you don't read your mail.

If I was the OP I wouldn't have been all that concerned about striking up a conversation over homeless people. I would have documented the situation and sent a bill.

emazur
06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Who really cares about the homeless? In our society, one's wealth is directly proportional to one's virtue. Being poor is akin to being immoral, unintelligent, and beneath contempt. Why should our society give a second chance to those who have proven themselves incompetent in terms of Social Darwinism?

Well, Mr. Perfect, I'm glad to hear you've never made a mistake in your life. Have you ever considered that being homeless can just be a temporary situation? If you were doing well, hit a streak of bad luck and couldn't get a loan to cover your rent/mortgage (very tough to get a loan when you're fired, even tougher when the economy is in the tanker) and wind on the street temporarily, how would you feel if someone said "Who cares about the homeless? They don't need bank accounts anyway." It wouldn't surprise me if we had a handful of members here who were homeless at one point or another

Philhelm
06-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, Mr. Perfect, I'm glad to hear you've never made a mistake in your life. Have you ever considered that being homeless can just be a temporary situation? If you were doing well, hit a streak of bad luck and couldn't get a loan to cover your rent/mortgage (very tough to get a loan when you're fired, even tougher when the economy is in the tanker) and wind on the street temporarily, how would you feel if someone said "Who cares about the homeless? They don't need bank accounts anyway." It wouldn't surprise me if we had a handful of members here who were homeless at one point or another

:confused:

You misunderstood me...
I was merely stating that it is a flaw of our society that the homeless are viewed as being beneath contempt, and had even ended my statement with the following:

While the government makes things more difficult for honest people who may be down on their luck, the main problem in my opinion is how we as a society look towards those who have fewer Federal Reserve Notes than others do.

free1
06-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Bank Secrecy Act
Here you all go... enjoy reading the latest on the Bank Secrecy Act of 2007 with amendments to 2010.

All that and they are allowed to print money out of thin air.

Why do we make such a big deal out of all that but yet let them steal our wealth through inflation?

IT'S THEFT no matter how you look at it.

emazur
06-20-2010, 10:24 PM
:confused:

You misunderstood me...
I was merely stating that it is a flaw of our society that the homeless are viewed as being beneath contempt, and had even ended my statement with the following:

My bad, I quickly read over it and somehow interpreted it as "money = self worth, homeless = worthless, the real problem is the Federal Reserve fiat money". With the callous comments I sometimes read, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were people here who do believe this and I lumped you in with 'em. Sorry. To be fair, I do believe some poor~homeless are worthless if they continually refuse to work and continually mooch off the govt., and the Fed and fiat money are most definitely problematic.

Philhelm
06-20-2010, 11:26 PM
My bad, I quickly read over it and somehow interpreted it as "money = self worth, homeless = worthless, the real problem is the Federal Reserve fiat money". With the callous comments I sometimes read, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were people here who do believe this and I lumped you in with 'em. Sorry. To be fair, I do believe some poor~homeless are worthless if they continually refuse to work and continually mooch off the govt., and the Fed and fiat money are most definitely problematic.

No harm done. I just think that part of the biggest problem is that people look down on those who earn little money (or none, in the case of the homeless). The government and the Fed don't help things, obviously, but I put most of the blame on our shallow culture.