PDA

View Full Version : Seasteading

Elwar
06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
The oil disaster is a prime opportunity to start pushing seasteading (like homesteading but privatizing the sea).

Any thoughts on the best way seasteading would work? Would you break the ocean floor up into lots and provide ownership up to the sky? Or would it be more 3 dimensional allowing ownership of the surface allowing others to own underneath?

Krugerrand
06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
The oil disaster is a prime opportunity to start pushing seasteading (like homesteading but privatizing the sea).

Any thoughts on the best way seasteading would work? Would you break the ocean floor up into lots and provide ownership up to the sky? Or would it be more 3 dimensional allowing ownership of the surface allowing others to own underneath?

I don't own the mineral rights under my house. :(

noxagol
06-18-2010, 12:17 PM
3 dimension is how it would work under homsteading. You only own the space you can enclose. For instance, anyone can do whatever they want underneath your house as long as they don't damage your house, since you have not mixed your labor with that bit of stuff yet. Same would apply with sea steading, you would only own whatever is inside your enclosure. If it is a floating ship type object, then you only control the water within its boundaries. If an under sea dome, then you only control the space inside the dome and not outside.

tangent4ronpaul
06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
There have been some Russian air craft carriers on E-Bay.... That would hold a lot of ppl. One was converted into a museum including shops, restaurants, etc. Price? 14-15M....

-t

Kotin
06-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Well since land is a finite resource and the population growth doesn't seem to be slowing, I think seasteading will be a necessity at some point in the future.. And this idea is very intriguing to me personally.. Though I love living in the forest too much!!

Pennsylvania
06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Well since land is a finite resource and the population growth doesn't seem to be slowing, I think seasteading will be a necessity at some point in the future.. And this idea is very intriguing to me personally.. Though I love living in the forest too much!!

just make a forested seastead. :D

that would be epic, some nice pine trees right smack in the middle of the ocean

Elwar
06-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd love to be able to build a dome home on bottom of the ocean with current windmills powering everything.

RCA
06-18-2010, 01:07 PM
I've never heard of a "micronation" before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

nobody's_hero
06-18-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't own the mineral rights under my house. :(

Stuff like that pisses me off. People will find damn near anything to own.

That's just being slight-handed when someone tries something like that.

If I were you, I'd dig up whatever minerals you can find and tell everyone else to **** off.

I know a person who owned a house on a lake. He had access to the shoreline and the parcel of land adjacent to the water. One day, some lawyer decides that he doesn't own the ground underneath the surface of the water [beyond a certain number of feet], so they sell off that land to someone who builds a big-ass boathouse out on the water. Now the guy who owns the land next to the lake HAS TO, BY LAW, let the owner of the boathouse and all his/her guests walk through his land to get to their 'property'.

People will be buying up air molecules before too long. You own your car but you don't own the dirt on your car! It gets out of hand.

And now, "seasteading"?

Elwar
06-18-2010, 05:45 PM
And now, "seasteading"?

It's called private property. People will take care of their own stuff. They don't take care of government land on loan.