PDA

View Full Version : Al Franken: "Originalism isn’t a pillar of our constitutional history."

fletcher
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
It makes me very said that United States Senators can openly say something so stupid. The original meaning of the Constitution isn't a pillar of constitutional history???!?!! WTF?? It's more than a pillar, it's the whole f'ing structure. How can a Senator openly admit that the Constitution is meaningless? FU Franken!

The first-term senator launched a full-throated attack on originalism, the judicial philosophy often upheld by conservatives as an example for model nominees for the federal courts.

"Originalism isn’t a pillar of our constitutional history. It’s a talking point," Franken said, adding a jab at Chief Justice John Roberts for his famous comparison between judges and baseball umpires during Roberts's confirmation hearings.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/104121-franken-launches-full-throated-attack-on-conservative-activism-on-courts

Pericles
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I can never find that barf smiley when I need it.

RM918
06-18-2010, 12:16 PM
A second-rate comedian likely wouldn't know much about constitutional history to begin with, it'd be like nominating Jack Thompson to the Supreme Court.

MichelleHeart
06-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Al Franken's opinions are irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. He and his big government friends wouldn't mind if we scrapped the Constitution altogether and replaced it with the "unwritten constitution" that early American colonists were forced to contend with.

jkr
06-18-2010, 12:29 PM
we live in a land of retarded dumb asses

AmericaFyeah92
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM
In a way, he's right.

Since the founding of this Union, politicians have been twisting the constitution to mean whatever they want it to, so "following the letter of the law" isn't really a part of the American State's history.

haaaylee
06-18-2010, 01:57 PM
he was only voted in 'cos he was "that guy from SNL."

who cares. he doesn't know what he's doing . . . .

heavenlyboy34
06-18-2010, 02:00 PM
instead of getting mad, a better approach, it seems, would be to satirize the fool and make him a public laughing stock. :);)

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
America, the place where a failed comedian can become a U.S. Senator, but a man like Peter Schiff has to fight just to get on the ballot. SMFH

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-18-2010, 04:21 PM
It makes me very said that United States Senators can openly say something so stupid. The original meaning of the Constitution isn't a pillar of constitutional history???!?!! WTF?? It's more than a pillar, it's the whole f'ing structure. How can a Senator openly admit that the Constitution is meaningless? FU Franken!

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/104121-franken-launches-full-throated-attack-on-conservative-activism-on-courts

Yet, there is nothing any more naive than to think one party has the ultimate solution over the other one. In the end, there is an ideal which is a self evident and an unalienable Truth. The Constitution is just the legal precedence estblished to best administer that ideal. As I've said in this forum often, the U.S. Constitution for the sake of the U.S. Constitution is no better than a dictatorship. The ultimate ideal of our Founding Fathers was to raise up the people above the level of bounded clients to legal precedence to a higher level of free citizens with a Civil Purpose.

erowe1
06-18-2010, 04:22 PM
IHow can a Senator openly admit that the Constitution is meaningless?

Isn't it better if they openly admit it?