PDA

View Full Version : Know I'll get flamed for this, but could we call the campaign and shame them?

pennycat
10-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Posted similar thoughts on another thread, but I really am serious. The idea that the campaign can't help the Meetup groups is patently false.

The campaign now sells signs out of their store for anywhere from $6 to $2.50 plus shipping. Whether they sell them at $6 or $1 it is their choice. It's an embarrassment that Ron Paul Patriots have to pay the campaign to promote RP. Same goes for literature. What a wasted opportunity.

Could we all start calling headquarters and ask them to start lowering or eliminating costs for basic campaign materials. I mean come on, they have $10 million in the bank and I have to buy literature and signs so I can go out and promote RP??

Literature used to be a free item BEFORE we got good quarterly financial contributions. Now that we have more money in the campaign war chest, National raised the price. Shame on them.

I just got back from a hugely successful sign wave where we handed out hundreds of slim jims. It is an embarrassment that I had to hit people up to contribute for literature.

Some of these folks are not very financially stable. But they are willing to come out and donate a couple hours to the revolution. Is National so tight with money that they don't want to invest in this worthy cause. If so, why don't they just tell us to stay home and play on the internet.

Monday please call up 703-248-9115 (campaign telephone number) and tell them, "Ron Paul Patriots Need Help--Lower the cost of campaign materials."

I want to support the campaign by buying stuff from their store. Can't they support us with lower prices?

End of rant. I'm going to go get a cold one and get ready for the heat I know I'll catch from being 'disruptive.'

FluffyUnbound
10-13-2007, 06:29 PM
On the literature side, maybe you could get a better deal from a local printer to make up some copies?

ItsTime
10-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Call your STATE HQ and ask them THEY WILL GIVE YOU ALL YOU NEED AND MORE....

r3volution
10-13-2007, 06:31 PM
if ron had 20mill i would agree with you .

Dave Wood
10-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Posted similar thoughts on another thread, but I really am serious. The idea that the campaign can't help the Meetup groups is patently false.

The campaign now sells signs out of their store for anywhere from $6 to $2.50 plus shipping. Whether they sell them at $6 or $1 it is their choice. It's an embarrassment that Ron Paul Patriots have to pay the campaign to promote RP. Same goes for literature. What a wasted opportunity.

Could we all start calling headquarters and ask them to start lowering or eliminating costs for basic campaign materials. I mean come on, they have $10 million in the bank and I have to buy literature and signs so I can go out and promote RP??

Literature used to be a free item BEFORE we got good quarterly financial contributions. Now that we have more money in the campaign war chest, National raised the price. Shame on them.

I just got back from a hugely successful sign wave where we handed out hundreds of slim jims. It is an embarrassment that I had to hit people up to contribute for literature.

Some of these folks are not very financially stable. But they are willing to come out and donate a couple hours to the revolution. Is National so tight with money that they don't want to invest in this worthy cause. If so, why don't they just tell us to stay home and play on the internet.

Monday please call up 703-248-9115 (campaign telephone number) and tell them, "Ron Paul Patriots Need Help--Lower the cost of campaign materials."

I want to support the campaign by buying stuff from their store. Can't they support us with lower prices?

End of rant. I'm going to go get a cold one and get ready for the heat I know I'll catch from being 'disruptive.'

Nick, you have a good point. I think hqs is probably so swamped that they wouldnt be able to handle the logistics involved.

Another idea.... you know how printing works, the more you buy the less you pay.

Maybe there is someway using the boards to do monthly chipins instead of everyone taking it on the chin trying to buy their own stuff, set a number goal and what materials each group wants, and buy in very large volume. Use the same printing company over and over and they will treat you very well, even in emergencies.

Growing pains, aint they a bitch:rolleyes:

Craig_R
10-13-2007, 06:35 PM
what do you need? I'll chip in. the campaign gets its money from us and no they only have 5.3 million on hand, that aint gonna buy much tv time.

if you want some materials to hand out and cannot afford them ask other supporters to chip in, its easier to go straight to the source anyway.

I'd be glad to help you spread the message , I've been forgoing campaign contributions to buy materials to hand out across my state.

DrNoZone
10-13-2007, 06:37 PM
I mean come on, they have $10 million in the bank and I have to buy literature and signs so I can go out and promote RP??

Umm, no, they don't have $10 million in the bank. It's actually $5.3 million and I'm sure that's down since they're starting to spend money on advertising now.

Get over it. If you think the material is too pricey, MAKE YOUR OWN! Lots of people hit the Kinko's or fire up their printer and make GREAT literature. Not to mention all of the handmade signs, flyers, DVD's, interview CD's, etc.

DO NOT CALL THE CAMPAIGN ABOUT THIS RIDICULOUS ISSUE. If they could make them cheaper, they would. Not to mention, this money goes into the campaign's coffer's, so consider it a donation!

LibertyEagle
10-13-2007, 06:38 PM

Are you needing signs or campaign flyers and are unable to get them from your Meetup? If that is so, and you cannot afford them, I'm sure some of us here would be happy to pitch in.

They have 5 million, not 10 million in the bank, or they DID. They just spent $430k on an Ad buy. Plus, they have increased the size of the campaign substantially and it costs a lot to operate.

They're covering their cost. The materials are not expensive at all. What IS expensive is the shipping. I do wish they'd offer a 2nd option for shipping.

Actually, one of the things they spent 2 million dollars on last quarter is hiring enough staff to man the phones and answer the thousands upon thousands of emails we have been sending them to "help". Are you suggesting we spam campaign headquarters now? Surely not. :(

As I've said before, if you need to fundraise for materials for your meeup, why not do that, instead of trying to start a flame fest against campaign hq?

paulitics
10-13-2007, 06:43 PM
I think the materials are supposed to be profitable to the RP campaign, because it works as a fundraiser too, adding to his campaign totals. SO, its like a donation and a purchase. There are much cheaper ways to buy this stuff though.

UCFGavin
10-13-2007, 06:46 PM
i agree about the literature nick, it was free beforehand. that i could see wanting to make free again. i don't know much about the signs, but i do know there is a sign place here in town that was promoting 50 signs for $100. whether or not they can make the RP signs like the ones the campaign gives out...i dunno, but $2 a sign is a pretty good deal.

kylejack
10-13-2007, 06:51 PM
At cost does seem wiser.

TechnoGuyRob
10-13-2007, 06:53 PM
How will free material prevent some anti-Ron Paul from ordering a shit load of RP material under various names and addresses, and then throwing it away?

mkrfctr
10-13-2007, 06:54 PM
they listed a number on the official site to call if you were past your donation limit or if you were a meetup, pretty sure they are still providing lit and signs to meetup groups for free...

kylejack
10-13-2007, 06:55 PM
How will free material prevent some anti-Ron Paul from ordering a shit load of RP material under various names and addresses, and then throwing it away?

It doesn't have to be free. He's talking about lowering the cost. At cost seems wise and fair.

pennycat
10-13-2007, 06:57 PM
At cost does seem wiser.

Precisely! We want to grow this campaign. Invest in it or just tell us to go home and empty our bank accounts.

The campaign is being penny wise and pound foolish if you ask me. Which you (or they) didn't;-)

I'm just asking for the campaign to make a decision on whether or not they want a grassroots campaign or not.

DJ RP
10-13-2007, 06:59 PM
The thing is there are other websites that offer competitive rates on these things, free market and all so I don't think it's a wise use of the ron paul staff's time to be posting out literature for free or at cost because as the campaign's grown the requests would be significantly more than when they first announced and could afford to give out to anybody who would take.

I think now upping the price and allowing people to essentially be making a donation while spreading his message works better. If you can't pay those prices then you can go to the alternative ron paul stores.

Trassin
10-13-2007, 07:00 PM
I've actually talked to the national campaign about why they no longer send out free materials to the Meetup Group Organizers and they said that the combination of cost and wasted materials was making it an inefficient use of funds.

kylejack
10-13-2007, 07:02 PM
At cost would get more material out there so that we can spread it, which would consequently result in lower printing costs due to increased production. I think it would be a smart move.

cac1963
10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Nothing is free. Somebody has to pay for it. What you want is for somebody else to pay for the materials you want to use, and that's pretty much against what the campaign itself stands for. You may not be willing to spend any money out of your pocket on materials for your group to use, but hundreds or maybe thousands of others are willing to spend it. Setting the campaign up to capture that flow of money on its end-of-quarter financials is a brilliant move on the part of the campaign.

kylejack
10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Nothing is free. Somebody has to pay for it. What you want is for somebody else to pay for the materials you want to use, and that's pretty much against what the campaign itself stands for. You may not be willing to spend any money out of your pocket on materials for your group to use, but hundreds or maybe thousands of others are willing to spend it. Setting the campaign up to capture that flow of money on its end-of-quarter financials is a brilliant move on the part of the campaign.

Beat up that "you want it free" straw man for a while longer. Meanwhile, we're talking about at-cost.

Spirit of '76
10-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Call your STATE HQ and ask them THEY WILL GIVE YOU ALL YOU NEED AND MORE....

You're assuming most of us have a state HQ, but in fact only three or four states do. The rest of us are all on our lonesome out here.

Bradley in DC
10-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Nick, respectfully, we've had this conversation, and I still think you have it backwards. The Meetups groups function is to support HQ, not the other way around. That said, yes, I do agree that I wish there were more feedback, guidance, etc.

Craig_R
10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
what do we need to do nominate a treasurer and pool our money?

I've already stated I'd be willing to contribute, lets find solutions not just sit and bitch at eachother here.

Drknows
10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I think its a bad idea to give it away for free, Because other campaigns use to go around grabbing up the free stuff and toss it in the dumpster.

Adamsa
10-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Ron Paul also gets a lot of publicity just for having cash in hand, so even when he isn't using the money, it is publicised to great extent, but Ron will spend all of it when the primaries get closer.

thehittgirl
10-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I got another frugal trip, but I was told that ordering refill ink for his printer cartridge(this person ordered from re-inks) went a long way and this person did a LOT of printing.

cac1963
10-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Beat up that "you want it free" straw man for a while longer. Meanwhile, we're talking about at-cost.

He (the OP) already said in the other thread that he can get materials cheaper and of higher quality on the internet, so what exactly is his point then if not demanding that the materials come to him for free?

Magsec
10-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Just think of buying the signs as mini-donations with free signs to do what you want with?

alicegardener
10-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Homemade signs are more effective than slick commercial jobs anyway. They look sincere and are often entertaining and eye-catching. Besides, you can do what our meetup did today and have a sign-making party. This being Wisconsin, we had brats and beverages.

BarryDonegan
10-13-2007, 07:20 PM
the literature is easy to acquire. that part of it is not a real issue. they sell the stuff moreso for collectors who want to support. everyone has access to promotional stuff without having to buy it.

pennycat
10-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Nick, respectfully, we've had this conversation, and I still think you have it backwards. The Meetups groups function is to support HQ, not the other way around. That said, yes, I do agree that I wish there were more feedback, guidance, etc.

To which I say, "Nuts".

The purpose of the Meetups is to get RP elected. Normally this is viewed as a partnership. Mr. Bradley I guess, views us as second class citizens. Personally, I think this is absurd.

Spirit of '76
10-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I got another frugal trip, but I was told that ordering refill ink for his printer cartridge(this person ordered from re-inks) went a long way and this person did a LOT of printing.

Those will actually ruin a printer fairly quickly. Even the syringe-type refill kits make a mess after a while.

McDermit
10-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Tons of meetup groups NEVER recieved free materials (4 of my groups included,) and yet have managed to come up with plenty of materials on their own, even before the campaign began offering them for sale.

Find a way.

McDermit
10-13-2007, 07:30 PM
the literature is easy to acquire. that part of it is not a real issue. they sell the stuff moreso for collectors who want to support. everyone has access to promotional stuff without having to buy it.

really now? if you know where to get the stuff free, please speak up.

pennycat
10-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I've actually talked to the national campaign about why they no longer send out free materials to the Meetup Group Organizers and they said that the combination of cost and wasted materials was making it an inefficient use of funds.

You don't even want to hear my response to this!

Mandrik
10-13-2007, 07:38 PM
When I ordered 2 lawn signs, I didn't think, "man these are expensive!" The way I see it, I donated an additional $18 to Ron Paul, and out of the kindness of thier hearts they sent me 2 free lawn signs! Thanks guys!

Although next time I will go through a different site for cheaper signs and just donate whatever extra cash I can to RP. They are busy enough, I'm sure.

hard@work
10-13-2007, 07:47 PM
OK well, I guess I should start with the flame.

1. Your subject is the only shameful thing that will occur because of this. Shame on you for using this subject line, and shame on you for suggestion that in the first place. You should be ashamed and deeply embarassed for it.

Ok that said, here's a solution:

2. Petition the campaign to offer more items for the same amount of dollars. Not reduce pricing.

pennycat
10-13-2007, 07:57 PM
OK well, I guess I should start with the flame.

1. Your subject is the only shameful thing that will occur because of this. Shame on you for using this subject line, and shame on you for suggestion that in the first place. You should be ashamed and deeply embarassed for it.

Ok that said, here's a solution:

2. Petition the campaign to offer more items for the same amount of dollars. Not reduce pricing.

Originally, I may have misinterpreted the poster's message for which I apologize. However, I stand by my statements that the campaign needs to rethink it's pricing on basic campaign materials.

jj111
10-13-2007, 08:04 PM
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Ask not what the Ron Paul National Headquarters can do for you,
but ask what you can do for the Ron Paul campaign.

austin356
10-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Ugh

1) Call your state coordinator they can get unlimited free materials
2) Call someone who is maxed out, they can get free materials.
3) Come up with your own personal solution.
4) Pool Resources (under the table of course) and buy bulk.

The campaign's bulk pricing is at or near cost. Campaign literature is definitely at cost.

I just got $6,000 worth of stuff shipped to our group via our state coordinator. Get in touch with yours or someone who is maxed out!

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Ask not what the Ron Paul National Headquarters can do for you,
but ask what you can do for the Ron Paul campaign.

Why do I all of a sudden agree with people from SF?

What a great campaign!!!!

erowe1
10-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I flame you not because you have a complaint about HQ, but because you are using this forum to recruit people to help you call them and complain on your behalf. There's no need for them to take up extra man hours answering those calls.
Shame on you for even suggesting it.

davidhperry
10-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Get over it. If you think the material is too pricey, MAKE YOUR OWN! Lots of people hit the Kinko's or fire up their printer and make GREAT literature. Not to mention all of the handmade signs, flyers, DVD's, interview CD's, etc.

DO NOT CALL THE CAMPAIGN ABOUT THIS RIDICULOUS ISSUE. If they could make them cheaper, they would. Not to mention, this money goes into the campaign's coffer's, so consider it a donation!

Yes, please don't call the campaign about this. (Pretty please.) I know the person at campaign HQ who runs the web store and he said that they offer the materials at cost and even subsidize (i.e. lose money on) some of the items.

Trust me - they want as much of the stuff out there as possible and they are just trying to do it in a reasonably cost-effective way. They are doing their very best to accommodate all the meetup groups. It's a monumental task when there are 1000+ and some folks want personal attention. Like someone said, if you have a need, take it upon yourself to make it happen.

thomj76
10-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok...I'm in Florida too. We are running into a situation down here. Democrats are completely dis-enfrachised at this time, and Republicans are 1/2 enfranchised presently.

We have passed out thousands of slim jims, and yes we too are coming up on the time for ordering at cost. What I am telling the meetup group is that we need to order from campaign.

Get the pdf files, positon papers, etc and run with it. Find the good deals locally with your Liberterian Printers (trust me; they are out there).

If you have to go paper instead of glossy paper, explain we are conserving money to get more air time, etc...

Play to your strengths...However, be respectful, thoughtful and balanced. These attributes go a long way.

Don't flood campaign that is one if the most absurd ideas I've ever heard, and trust me I have heard some absurd ideas; I would ask the gentlemen form Orlando to retract that statement!

Ok, I hope that was a good laugh... Concentrate your efforts in a positive manner. Its been a long haul so far, and its a long way to go to get where we have to get. Find the way.

Find outlets that don't bog down campaign. Use that opposing digit and your gray matter.

Thank you for your eyes :cool:

PS: Please note that the italics as cited above are in no way meant to contain anything relevant in what could resemble intelligent thought. It is complete and utter pandering to the Nth degree and those who have been reported using it should seriously considering getting a clue. Now the bold lettering in front of the italics is spot on. In fact, the whole thing is spot on, and I was kidding about the italics part being balderdash.

amakris
10-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Do not call HQ about this. They sell items at cost. If they sold below cost, a malicious buyer could drain the campaign by buying stuff. Their marginal revenue equals their marginal cost. Leave them alone.

AlexAmore
10-13-2007, 09:25 PM

Very good point. There are already paid shills out on the net smearing Ron Paul in various forums, etc. So I am sure they would pounce on the idea of ordering tons of free RP stuff and then tossing it.