PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Greenwald on Manning (Wikileaks) Case

TheState
06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Link (http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/index.html?story=/opinion/greenwald/2010/06/18/wikileaks)

Many of the bizarre aspects of this case, at least as conveyed by Lamo and Wired, are self-evident. Why would a 22-year-old Private in Iraq have unfettered access to 250,000 pages of diplomatic cables so sensitive that they "could do serious damage to national security?" Why would he contact a total stranger, whom he randomly found from a Twitter search, in order to "quickly" confess to acts that he knew could send him to prison for a very long time, perhaps his whole life? And why would he choose to confess over the Internet, in an unsecured, international AOL IM chat, given the obvious ease with which that could be preserved, intercepted or otherwise surveilled? These are the actions of someone either unbelievably reckless or actually eager to be caught.

The whole story just doesn't seem to add up...

alsis8xmy
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
The whole thing smells like a Pentagon setup (don't believe the hype). I knew it when I saw that smiling picture of Manning. Add to that the fact that Lamo is severely compromised.

Wikileaks represents the future for freedom of the press and the Pentagon knows it and will stop at nothing to stop it even resorting to assassination.

RM918
06-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Pretty crazy, but I sincerely hope that quarter-million document thing is true and that it's released. If anything particularly damning or many things particularly damning are brought to light, it might be tough enough for the government to control that the tide finally turns.

I can only wonder at the vast amounts of secrets and atrocities being kept from us by our so-called 'benevolent' government, I think these leaks have only scratched the surface. Letting it all be buried in the shadows - or worse, destroyed - would be akin to a smaller-scale burning of the Library of Alexandria.