PDA

View Full Version : SC Dems uphold US Senate primary shocker

MsDoodahs
06-17-2010, 08:16 PM
"COLUMBIA, S.C. — South Carolina Democratic Party officials have upheld a surprising U.S. Senate primary win by an unemployed military veteran, nixing a protest lodged by their favored candidate that could have required a new vote.

The party's executive committee decided Thursday there was not enough evidence of impropriety to nullify the June 8 election victory by Alvin Greene. The 32-year-old lives with his father and waged no visible campaign.

The decision nixed a bid for another primary by candidate Vic Rawl, who contended he lost because of problems with electronic voting machines."

read the rest:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hNyH1XTKf1Adc_-fGBAefXf8YYEQD9GDBS980

RileyE104
06-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Good.

nobody's_hero
06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Yeah. Well. It would have been suicide for them not to uphold the nomination. I was kind of hoping they would kick him out, though, because it would have surely caused some fissures in the Dem party.

rancher89
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
It was a lose/lose proposition

qh4dotcom
06-17-2010, 10:18 PM
The guy is a veteran...aren't veterans supposed to be praised like gods for their service to this country?

rancher89
06-17-2010, 10:36 PM
not all veterans are golden

(I know your question was rhetorical....)

TCE
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Again, hopefully more people will look into this voting machines deal and find out for sure if anything fishy happened. Having the public paying more attention to voting machines is a good thing.

Icymudpuppy
06-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Tptb don't want the diabolical machines questioned, that is why the issue was dropped.

7_digitz
06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
no job, no fundraising but he mysteriously comes up with the $10,000 filing fee required in s.c. to run for that senate seat.

Keith Olbermann Interviews Alvin Greene - 06/10/10
YouTube - Keith Olbermann Interviews Alvin Greene - 06/10/10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntlp4fTell4)

rprprs
06-18-2010, 07:24 AM
It was a lose/lose proposition

Yep, they just couldn't figure a way out that didn't pose an even bigger threat to themselves. There were monsters lurking behind every exit door.

TCE
06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
http://www.vicrawl.com/vicrawl/post/1060-a-message-from-vic-rawl

I like his final message, though:

Dear Friend:

The last ten days have been extraordinary.

But for me and Laura, it is the months before that are far more important. I cannot express our gratitude for your support during the campaign and in the days since the primary election.

We hold our heads high, and know that the friendship of people like you is far more important in life that the outcome of any election.

I wanted you to hear from me that we will not be appealing last night’s decision by the Democratic Executive Committee to reject our protest of the election results. My campaign for the United States Senate has ended.

The issues we raised about the lack of election integrity in South Carolina are real, and they are not going away unless people act. I assure you that I will continue to speak out about our frail and vulnerable election system in the months to come.

I also feel strongly that the Democratic Party needs major reform of the rules and procedures regarding ballot qualification, protests and many other areas. This is critical to strengthen the Party and make it broadly competitive in our state.

Let me also take a moment to thank our volunteers. They gave selflessly of their time and talent toward making our state better. I also deeply thank my staff, a talented and dedicated group of professionals who were champions both before and after June 8th.

Thank you again for your support – this race was for you.

Vic Rawl

specsaregood
06-18-2010, 09:00 PM
http://www.vicrawl.com/vicrawl/post/1060-a-message-from-vic-rawl

I like his final message, though:

Oh really?
Let's highlight the line after the one you bolded:

The issues we raised about the lack of election integrity in South Carolina are real, and they are not going away unless people act. I assure you that I will continue to speak out about our frail and vulnerable election system in the months to come.

I also feel strongly that the Democratic Party needs major reform of the rules and procedures regarding ballot qualification, protests and many other areas. This is critical to strengthen the Party and make it broadly competitive in our state.

He isn't really upset about the election integrity, he is upset that somebody unworthy (not a member of the political elite) was able to get on the ballot and win. I don't like it one bit.

Kregisen
06-18-2010, 09:05 PM
no job, no fundraising but he mysteriously comes up with the $10,000 filing fee required in s.c. to run for that senate seat.

Keith Olbermann Interviews Alvin Greene - 06/10/10
YouTube - Keith Olbermann Interviews Alvin Greene - 06/10/10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntlp4fTell4)

I don't understand what the fuss is about pertaining to the $10,000....

I have 5 cousins in the military (I'm sure many who are in it on here can attest to this) ....in the navy for instance, you get $35,000 a year and 0 bills. Virtually everything is paid for. You can literally put your checks in the bank and have a shitload when you get out.

I would question spending $10,000 on a campaign and not campaigning....seems kinda fishy, but everyone questioning HOW he got the money seems like they have no idea what they're talking about.

BuddyRey
06-19-2010, 12:10 AM
What I ask myself every time this story is brought up in the mainstream press, and what nobody else ever seems to bring up, is why the Hell is there a 10,000-dollar filing fee to run for U.S. Senate?!?!

People complain all the time about rich, detached career politicians gravitating to the upper reaches of politics. Gee, ya think maybe the reason for that might be that nobody else can even afford to run for office?

RM918
06-19-2010, 12:12 AM
What I ask myself every time this story is brought up in the mainstream press, and what nobody else ever seems to bring up, is why the Hell is there a 10,000-dollar filing fee to run for U.S. Senate?!?!

People complain all the time about rich, detached career politicians gravitating to the upper reaches of politics. Gee, ya think maybe the reason for that might be that nobody else can even afford to run for office?

To keep out those riffraff commoners, no doubt. Can't have them stinking up a gentleman's race!

Noob
06-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Al Gore and Global warming nuts over last few years "Go Green!!" Al Greene democrate wins.

michaelwise
06-19-2010, 12:24 AM
An Al Greene win would create so much chaos in the establishment it would be funny to watch. For more chaos in the system, I would vote for Al Greene.