PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Ron Paul to host SNL?

Matt Collins
06-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Apparently there is a petition:
http://www.facebook.com/n/?group.php&gid=125652204139396

sailingaway
06-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm

sevin
06-17-2010, 04:04 PM
haha, i can imagine some funny skits with Ron playing himself while idiot politicians and lobbyists bother him.

Brett
06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
That'd be a great time to announce his candidacy to run as an independent in 2012. Get the young crowd from the very start on the issues they care about (no wars and drugs).

mello
06-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I think that is an extremely bad idea. When Palin was on, everyone was laughing AT HER, not WITH HER.

RileyE104
06-17-2010, 04:34 PM
I think that is an extremely bad idea. When Palin was on, everyone was laughing AT HER, not WITH HER.

That's because Palin is an embarrassment..

mello
06-17-2010, 04:41 PM
The show leans liberal & last time I checked Ron Paul was still a Republican.

KramerDSP
06-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I wouldn't want Ron to host it, but I do think that when SNL finally parodies him, that will be the moment that essentially tells the world that Ron Paul is a household name.

dannno
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
The show leans liberal & last time I checked Ron Paul was still a Republican.

Last time I checked half of the Republicans were laughing him off the stage during the Presidential campaign because he was anti-war and wants to end the war on drugs :confused:

False left-right paradigm seems to be strong in you.

RileyE104
06-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't want Ron to host it, but I do think that when SNL finally parodies him, that will be the moment that essentially tells the world that Ron Paul is a household name.

Or South Park... :)

sailingaway
06-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Or South Park... :)

He has been on southpark. He was the only non-crazy person in the skit.

I appreciated it. (short part though)

LittleLightShining
06-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I love it. Just invited a bunch of friends.

South Park Fan
06-17-2010, 05:54 PM
He has been on southpark. He was the only non-crazy person in the skit.

I appreciated it. (short part though)

Which episode?

sailingaway
06-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Which episode?

I'll see if I can find the episode, quickly, I [yeah, I was looking at it and didn't think it was credible either, and it wasn't the scene I remembered, anyhow]

I just saw it when it was on, once. Dang! now I want to find it! I just watched most of the post election night one thinking that might be it, and maybe it was but I didn't see him, skimming.

KramerDSP
06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
I'll see if I can find the episode, quickly, I found this, though: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/leaked-south-park.php?page=3

I just saw it when it was on, once.

I'm shocked. I'm a huge South Park fan, and I never knew RP was on, even for a few moments. I do know Family Guy allegedly had a subliminal Ron Paul message on one of their episodes. If you can find the title of that south park episode, please update us on this thread. Thanks!

KramerDSP
06-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Link doesn't look credible. Looks like someone made up a South Park script. Maybe you're thinking of Family Guy where there was a subliminal Ron Paul message (although it is open to interpretation).

BuddyRey
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
That would be incredible. I've always known Ron had a great sense of humor bubbling just under the chronically serious, professorial surface (you'd almost have to have one to work in Washington and be surrounded by statists day in and day out for thirty years); and it would be great to see him get to run with that.

sailingaway
06-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Link doesn't look credible. Looks like someone made up a South Park script. Maybe you're thinking of Family Guy where there was a subliminal Ron Paul message (although it is open to interpretation).

No, it was definitely south park. But it was just a walk on type thing. I will look a bit more but while I found a southpark episodes player I'm not finding it.

arrgh, can't find it. youtube or it didn't happen I know, but.....sorry. I don't watch that show generally and am not familiar with the episodes.

susano
06-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Last time I checked half of the Republicans were laughing him off the stage during the Presidential campaign because he was anti-war and wants to end the war on drugs :confused:

False left-right paradigm seems to be strong in you.

No shit! What's with all of this sudden loving of the Repukes and the GOP? How soon people forget, eh?

Ron Paul hosting SNL? lol. Ron's great but he isn't funny.

Flash
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM
You want Ron to go on an NBC show?

Brian Defferding
06-17-2010, 07:41 PM

Ron Paul is not Sarah Palin.

Knightskye
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I'd settle for an opening sketch, where someone's testifying before his panel.

rancher89
06-17-2010, 10:51 PM
The whole Bruno thing makes me very wary of him getting involved with any uncertain media coverage.

Don't get me wrong, Sacha is very funny and very smart.

BUT those around RP should have known about him and never put RP in that position.

For this reason, and this reason only, I nix any posible guest position on any comedy show. All we need is a Bruno off take.....

cajuncocoa
06-17-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not crazy about the idea.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-18-2010, 12:16 AM
how about Thomas Woods on snl? that would be funny. 2 hours of economic skits.

rawful
06-18-2010, 12:29 AM
The whole Bruno thing makes me very wary of him getting involved with any uncertain media coverage.

Don't get me wrong, Sacha is very funny and very smart.

BUT those around RP should have known about him and never put RP in that position.

For this reason, and this reason only, I nix any posible guest position on any comedy show. All we need is a Bruno off take.....

Cohen does "gotcha" comedy. SNL is all scripted and rehearsed and Ron would know what to expect. Completely different.

Plus I don't think they would be that harsh due to his social stances.

Morgan Brykein
06-18-2010, 12:51 AM
A skit where Ron Paul is in the Oval Office, telling Americans that he'll be handing over command of the U.S. Armed Forces to Osama bin Laden comes to mind.

anaconda
06-18-2010, 02:35 AM
George McGovern hosted SNL and I thought he was super cool.

Cap
06-18-2010, 05:48 AM
I think it is a fabulous idea.

RCA
06-18-2010, 08:14 AM
No, it was definitely south park. But it was just a walk on type thing. I will look a bit more but while I found a southpark episodes player I'm not finding it.

arrgh, can't find it. youtube or it didn't happen I know, but.....sorry. I don't watch that show generally and am not familiar with the episodes.

I've never seen that episode either.

Bern
06-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Ron doesn't seem like much of an actor. I expect he has a good sense of humor, but I don't know that he could handle the delivery well.

RCA
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Ron doesn't seem like much of an actor. I expect he has a good sense of humor, but I don't know that he could handle the delivery well.

If they just spoof him, I'll be happy.

Chester Copperpot
06-18-2010, 08:48 AM

qft

teamrican1
06-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Ron Paul is not a particularly funny guy. He's also pretty square and has zero knowledge of modern pop culture. When Ron Paul goes on a comedy program I root for him to just avoid embarrassing himself. That's easier on shows like Colbert and Daily Show because they have pretty intelligent writers and since their viewership skew heavily young and internet savvy, they have a strong incentive to avoid making Ron look stupid. Saturday Night Live on the other hand, doesn't have particularly strong writers and it's a total MSM, general audience production. It was funny in the 1970's and parts of the 80's and 90's, but not now. So you'd have a guy who isn't very funny to begin with going on a very unfunny show. In other words, a recipe for disaster. The pinnacle of Ron Paul's comedy career is and will forever remain his 1988 Morton Downey Jr. appearance. He's never going to top that smack down of the fascist fat kid in the audience.

Ron Paul's appeal is his authenticity. He just isn't suited for a show like SNL. I could see Lew Rockwell being funny in a hyper straight guy role. And I think Andrew Napolitano has a certain Belushi like charm and could see him really shinning in a variety of different kinds of skits. But Ron Paul, no. He shouldn't be the standard bearer for libertarian comedy.

Matt Collins
06-18-2010, 10:24 AM
YouTube - "Fear the Boom and Bust" a Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Anthem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk)

Matt Collins
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
The pinnacle of Ron Paul's comedy career is and will forever remain his 1988 Morton Downey Jr. appearance. He's never going to top that smack down of the fascist fat kid in the audience.
YouTube - Ron Paul on Trash TV, 1988 - Pt. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHB2I83_N_k)

I asked him about his appearance on this show and he looked down, turned red, became real embarrassed and actually gave me a facepalm. ha ha ha ha ha :D

Valli6
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Ron Paul has a thorough mastery of monetary policy, the US Constitution and the inner workings of our government past and present. An accomplished statesman, he is extremely hardworking and revered by many for his wisdom. He could be the finest president this nation has ever seen! But let's face it - he's no Betty White! :D

BuddyRey
06-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I asked him about his appearance on this show and he looked down, turned red, became real embarrassed and actually gave me a facepalm. ha ha ha ha ha :D

Why in the world would he be embarrassed at that performance? He completely owned that guy! :D

In fact, watching that clip was one of my "lightbulb" moments early on when I finally said, "this Ron Paul character is just too much. I must vote for him!"

NightOwl
06-18-2010, 02:37 PM
No shit! What's with all of this sudden loving of the Repukes and the GOP? How soon people forget, eh?

Ron Paul hosting SNL? lol. Ron's great but he isn't funny.

Steve Forbes was positively robotic on SNL, but somehow that made him all the funnier.

Bruno
06-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Ron Paul is not a particularly funny guy. He's also pretty square and has zero knowledge of modern pop culture. When Ron Paul goes on a comedy program I root for him to just avoid embarrassing himself. That's easier on shows like Colbert and Daily Show because they have pretty intelligent writers and since their viewership skew heavily young and internet savvy, they have a strong incentive to avoid making Ron look stupid. Saturday Night Live on the other hand, doesn't have particularly strong writers and it's a total MSM, general audience production. It was funny in the 1970's and parts of the 80's and 90's, but not now. So you'd have a guy who isn't very funny to begin with going on a very unfunny show. In other words, a recipe for disaster. The pinnacle of Ron Paul's comedy career is and will forever remain his 1988 Morton Downey Jr. appearance. He's never going to top that smack down of the fascist fat kid in the audience.

Ron Paul's appeal is his authenticity. He just isn't suited for a show like SNL. I could see Lew Rockwell being funny in a hyper straight guy role. And I think Andrew Napolitano has a certain Belushi like charm and could see him really shinning in a variety of different kinds of skits. But Ron Paul, no. He shouldn't be the standard bearer for libertarian comedy.

I disagree. I just saw him at his Des Moines appearance, and he made a number of jokes about his plane being delayed. He really warmed the audience up to him. Perhaps he is too focused on getting his message across and not on jokes. But given the opportunity, I can see him not only as a good sport willing to play along, but good on delivery with some SNL coaching, as well.

1000-points-of-fright
06-18-2010, 02:57 PM

How about me on SNL? Not gonna happen because I'm nobody and, as far as SNL is concerned, Tom Woods and I have exactly the same national name recognition.

But yeah, RP on SNL = fail.

JamesButabi
06-18-2010, 03:05 PM
Ron Paul probably not. Jesse Ventura ...... maybe

Pauliana
06-18-2010, 03:35 PM
This:

Valli6
06-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Ron Paul probably not. Jesse Ventura ...... maybe
Jesse Ventura - that could work. With Ron Paul doing a cameo!

Kregisen
06-18-2010, 07:12 PM

I've seen every south park episode and never remember seeing Ron Paul on it....

If he was on one, it never mentioned him by name.

Original_Intent
06-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah I love Ron, but this would be a recipe for utter fail.

Knightskye
06-19-2010, 10:40 PM
YouTube - Ron Paul on Trash TV, 1988 - Pt. 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHB2I83_N_k)

Lmao, did he say anything, or just the facepalm?

Matt Collins
06-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Lmao, did he say anything, or just the facepalm?
He said "oh no" and looked down and said something to the effect that he was sorry that I saw that :p

Morgan Brykein
06-20-2010, 12:22 AM

That screaming Guardian Angels woman is a fucking retard. If I was in Ron Paul's position I probably would have told her to STFU and let me talk. I also would have put more emphasis on the fact that libertarians think that the boundary to personal liberty is when others are harmed, not like those nitwits would understand.