PDA

View Full Version : State Trooper known for DUI busts gets drunk and drives wrong way, dies

brandon
06-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Went the wrong way on a highway and died in head on collision. Serve and protect....

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front_page/20100617_State_trooper_dies_driving_in_wrong_lane_ on_Schuylkill_Expressway.html#axzz0r8I5PcmU

roho76
06-17-2010, 12:17 PM
"The loss of Quigg has stunned all of us," said Trooper Danea Durham, spokeswoman for the state police's Belmont barracks, where Quigg worked. "I've always found him to be one of the most knowledgeable people I've known here."

"He was looking forward to putting this behind him and going back into accident reconstruction," Woodward said Wednesday.

"It's very complex," Durham said. Quigg was often called to testify in court or to brief news reporters.

"Because he was so seasoned in testifying, and you were nervous and going to court, he would tell you how best to get your investigation across to a jury," Durham said. "His door was always open. I never had a question where he blew me off. He was always willing to help."

Unless I missed it not once in that story did I hear any condolences for the family of the victim on behalf of the police. All I heard was how great of a cop he was. Really? They should leave his rotting corpse on the side of the highway for their next accident reconstruction scene.

HOLLYWOOD
06-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Unless I missed it not once in that story did I hear any condolences for the family of the victim on behalf of the police. All I heard was how great of a cop he was. Really? They should leave his rotting corpse on the side of the highway for their next accident reconstruction scene.

This Piece:

"State trooper dies driving wrong way on Schuylkill Expressway The tragic circumstances sound almost like bad fiction: A veteran state trooper - renowned for reconstructing highway crashes and nabbing drunken or negligent motorists - dies in a head-on collision while driving the wrong way on the Schuylkill Expressway in the middle of the night."

"The state police Belmont barracks, where Cpl. John Quigg Jr. worked. He had been on desk duty for a DUI charge in Dec."

I'm wonder how much in taxpayer funds, wasted fuels/energy, pollution, lawsuits, pension/payouts/insurance, will be spent patronization jingoism of glorifying this hypocrite?

Anti Federalist
06-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Damn, the gushing tributes to this man makes me ill.

Imagine if it had been a mundane who did this?

Wonder how many accident scenes were reconstructed in such a way as to guarantee a conviction.?

roho76
06-17-2010, 12:55 PM
I just sent this lady an email telling her how disgusting her article was.

Krugerrand
06-17-2010, 12:58 PM

The other driver isn't dead.

The crash seriously injured the other driver, Chantelle Harper, described by a family friend as a gifted young Rosemont College graduate bound for law school.
Harper was listed in good condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania after surgery for leg injuries.

roho76
06-17-2010, 01:03 PM
The other driver isn't dead.

Yes I know but still. This piece does nothing but glorify the cop and hardly mentions the seriously injured victim.:mad:

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I dont know why I lol'd at the title.

Krugerrand
06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Yes I know but still. This piece does nothing but glorify the cop and hardly mentions the seriously injured victim.:mad:

Okay ... I had only hear condolences used when somebody has died ... but apparently it has broader usage than that. My bad.

.Tom
06-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Awww... finally some good news around here. :)

phill4paul
06-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I shed no tears.

Paulitical Correctness
06-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Cops piss me off as much as the next anti statist, but come on...This forum is open to ANYONE.

HOLLYWOOD
06-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I emailed my feedback in objection to a poorly written coverage.

Contact staff writer Bonnie L. Cook at 610-313-8232 or bcook@phillynews.com.
Inquirer staff writer Larry King contributed to this article.

http://www.philly.com/philly/about/feedback/

brandon
06-18-2010, 08:29 PM
There was an article on this I read in the newspaper today. They are now admitting he was drunk (surprise?) when he crashed....0.27 blood alcohol. The article was full of praises for him being a good cop and how this isn't his fault, he had a sickness.

BuddyRey
06-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Of course...nothing is ever a police officer's fault. His or her violent outbursts-slash-reckless endangerments-slash-outright psychopathy can always be attributed to departmental stress, or family problems, or burdensome workload.

The proles, on the other hand, never receive the luxury of a soft pillow to land on when they come a cropper, whether by their own hand or not.

Fredom101
06-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Many cops I have known over the years drink and drive themselves because they know they are above the law and can't get caught. This is why our system fails.

hamilton1049
06-19-2010, 10:04 AM
"or give a fellow officer advice about taking the witness stand.

"Because he was so seasoned in testifying, and you were nervous and going to court, he would tell you how best to get your investigation across to a jury," Durham said. "His door was always open. I never had a question where he blew me off. He was always willing to help."

I always thought coaching a witness was illegal?

GunnyFreedom
06-19-2010, 10:52 AM

It is. Unless you are a District Attorney or a police officer. :( Then's it's not only OK, it's almost mandatory. :mad:

MelissaWV
06-19-2010, 11:08 AM

If you're ever on a jury, assume an "expert witness" has been coached. These include any professionals you are likely to see in court repeatedly (police, mental health experts, forensics, etc.). Even if they were not explicitly coached, most have experience in the courtroom and know what to emphasize and how to answer questions way better than your average witness off the street.