PDA

View Full Version : [Full Video Inside] Stossel v. Hannity on Drugs on Fox Business

Matt Collins
06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Stossel v. Hannity on Drugs (http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/06/17/stossel-v-hannity-on-drugs/)

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/06/17/stossel-v-hannity-on-drugs

MOD NOTE: Full episode here (http://usaguns.net/patriots/drugwar.html).

Hallamaat
06-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Radley Balko just posted a facebook status saying that he'll be on as well. Awesome.

Brett
06-17-2010, 10:56 AM
This is going to be great. Looking forward to it!

Hannity has a chapter in his book titled "I'm Pro-Choice" where he attempts to defend how he's pro-choice on everything except matters of life. Let's see him defend that...

TCE
06-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Hannity says the same thing in every interview: "Pot is a gateway drug and we shouldn't be allowing our teenagers to use pot today when it can be cocaine tomorrow" or a derivative. Stossel needs to get in there and stop him from getting into a rhythm. While Stossel is great, he sometimes lets people walk all over him. Glad to hear Balko is on to even things out.

Kregisen
06-17-2010, 11:17 AM
This should be interesting.....it's not a very hard argument to win, I could beat hannity in a debate over drug legalization.

fisharmor
06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
Wait, are both of them going to be on drugs or just Hannity, or do I have to be on drugs to watch it?

Kregisen
06-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Wait, are both of them going to be on drugs or just Hannity, or do I have to be on drugs to watch it?

:D

NewFederalist
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I agree with the poster who said Stossel sometimes loses control of his guests. It would be better if he took a more "Napolitano" approach. You don't mess with "da Judge"!

Southron
06-17-2010, 11:53 AM
He needs to ask Hannity if he uses the gateway drug-alcohol.

Many people are fine with drugs being illegal as long as it isn't "their" drug.

Matt Collins
06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
I agree with the poster who said Stossel sometimes loses control of his guests. It would be better if he took a more "Napolitano" approach. You don't mess with "da Judge"!
Personality difference. John is almost shy, very reserved, and sometimes even comes across as timid. But he is an intellectual heavyweight.

The Judge on the other hand is accustomed to being the man in charge of the room. He is very dominating when in the courtroom or behind a camera and mic. However if you ever meet the Judge in person or talk to him on the phone, he is actually a very humble, and almost shy, individual too.

I think the Judge is able to front that when he needs to and John hasn't learned to be aggressive yet. But then again John has been a bit subdued by his former network. Now that he is given a fairly prominent role hopefully this will change.

jct74
06-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Stossel did a short promo segment on Fox & Friends this morning.

YouTube - Disastrous War on Drugs? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR9CQ8IjWSM)

jct74
06-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Stossel on Fox Business 2 days ago:

YouTube - Stossel: Legalize All Drugs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YiF9bFyuxs)

jct74
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Stossel inteviewed by Megyn Kelly last week. I had no idea Megyn Kelly was so dumb.

YouTube - Stossel Supports Sting and DPA Over Fox News and Calls Drug War a Failure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSfXxSL9D-4)

Matt Collins
06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Stossel inteviewed by Megyn Kelly last week. I had no idea Megyn Kelly was so dumb.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You must've missed this:

YouTube - John Stossel Defends Rand Paul And Business Right To Discriminate! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aakt1J91wlE)

Megyn Kelley is only there because she is a blonde female who is attractive looking. She is an idiot.

BuddyRey
06-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Hannity's going to get curb-stomped. He has no facts, logic, or studies to back up his ridiculous assertion that pot is a gateway drug; just the same skewed results from rigged studies done during the Nixon era.

ClayTrainor
06-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Hannity's going to get curb-stomped. He has no facts, logic, or studies to back up his ridiculous assertion that pot is a gateway drug; just the same skewed results from rigged studies done during the Nixon era.

That's my expectation, but Stossel sometimes fails to articulate his points well when he gets challenged in debate, so we'll see. I remember O'Reilly kind of looked like the "winner" when he discussed the drug war with him, and Stossel seemed a bit stumped by his points.

MRoCkEd
06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
can someone give the play by play for those of us without FBN?

brandon
06-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Just turned it on and I think I missed the Hannity segment.

Kotin
06-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Some guy from Cato just destroyed the DEA and hannity' arguement about drug use increasing with legalization.. Next is about legalizing drugs to save the border from violence etc.

tjeffersonsghost
06-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Hannity is right though, people looking for a crack or heroin high has no regards for life and will kill to get their high. Im not as keen on legalization of those drugs as I am weed. I think Stossel should of pointed out that less people smoke now than in decades of our history.

low preference guy
06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
people looking for a crack or heroin high has no regards for life and will kill to get their high.

they still get it anyway. and in the meantime, you create a criminal organization.

johnrocks
06-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Please tube it! I don't get FOX Business, my cable company does not provide it....Grrrrrr!

Dr.3D
06-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Hannity is right though, people looking for a crack or heroin high has no regards for life and will kill to get their high.

Those people wouldn't be so apt to kill to get their high if it was legal, the price would be so much lower that they could buy it without resorting to crime to get the money they needed. It is because it is illegal that the price is so high.

dannno
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Hannity is right though, people looking for a crack or heroin high has no regards for life and will kill to get their high. Im not as keen on legalization of those drugs as I am weed. I think Stossel should of pointed out that less people smoke now than in decades of our history.

Ron Paul once said on the topic, "drugs are worthless"

What is it that he meant by that? Obviously people are willing to pay a lot to get them, so for some people they are "worth" a lot. However, hard drugs like cocaine and heroin are derivatives of the coca leaf and the poppy, respectively. These products are EXTREMELY cheap to produce, the reason why the price is so high is because the government made them illegal to produce and sell.

dannno
06-17-2010, 06:37 PM
In addition, most of these drugs have been made into their respectively powerful derivatives due to shipping reasons. It is seemingly infinitely more profitable to ship 100 lbs of cocaine across the border than it is to ship 100 lbs of coca leaves. However, in South America where coca leaves are available, people in those areas generally prefer the cleaner and less intense coca leaf than hard cocaine. So if these substances were legalized you would see people tend towards the safer substances that are less addictive.. but those safe substances aren't available because of the war on drugs which forces producers to make extremely potent forms of drugs to ship.

belian78
06-17-2010, 07:03 PM
dannno, that's just way too much sense being made there, i deduct 1 internet.

idirtify
06-17-2010, 07:10 PM
That's my expectation, but Stossel sometimes fails to articulate his points well when he gets challenged in debate, so we'll see. I remember O'Reilly kind of looked like the "winner" when he discussed the drug war with him, and Stossel seemed a bit stumped by his points.

At least Stossel is honest enough to admit that he is still learning. And at least he has his own show and can reply to outtakes. Actually if you watch closely, very few interviewers/reporters are swift enough and confident enough catch and confront BS in real time. MOST of them depend on the “reply to the outtake later” method.

I thought the show was very good. The epilogue was great. Stossel has his own style and it works.

idirtify
06-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Hannity is right though, people looking for a crack or heroin high has no regards for life and will kill to get their high.

That old drug-war myth was completed refuted. You must have missed much of the show.

ClayTrainor
06-17-2010, 07:52 PM
At least Stossel is honest enough to admit that he is still learning. And at least he has his own show and can reply to outtakes. Actually if you watch closely, very few interviewers/reporters are swift enough and confident enough catch and confront BS in real time. MOST of them depend on the “reply to the outtake later” method.

You're absolutely right.

I thought the show was very good. The epilogue was great. Stossel has his own style and it works.

I love stossel and his show.

Oh and....

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuube? :)

RileyE104
06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Ron Paul once said on the topic, "drugs are worthless"

What is it that he meant by that? Obviously people are willing to pay a lot to get them, so for some people they are "worth" a lot. However, hard drugs like cocaine and heroin are derivatives of the coca leaf and the poppy, respectively. These products are EXTREMELY cheap to produce, the reason why the price is so high is because the government made them illegal to produce and sell.

This!

MRoCkEd
06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Full episode:
http://usaguns.net/patriots/drugwar.html

BenIsForRon
06-17-2010, 08:22 PM
usaguns.com needs more bandwidth. I'm not going to wait 10 minutes for every 2 minutes to load.

ClayTrainor
06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Full episode:
http://usaguns.net/patriots/drugwar.html

This was one of the best Stossel episodes yet! Very powerful, I'm sharing this one with everyone I know.

usaguns.com needs more bandwidth. I'm not going to wait 10 minutes for every 2 minutes to load.

I didn't have that problem. :confused:

jkr
06-17-2010, 09:38 PM
that "cop " sucked "i used to shoot people in iraq now i shoot them here.
its a good system, it works"

wow mann

just wOw
anything for the kids...

MsDoodahs
06-17-2010, 10:16 PM
This was one of the best Stossel episodes yet! Very powerful, I'm sharing this one with everyone I know.

I will try to watch tomorrow.

catdd
06-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Good video.

ClayTrainor
06-17-2010, 10:38 PM
that "cop " sucked "i used to shoot people in iraq now i shoot them here.
its a good system, it works"

wow mann

just wOw
anything for the kids...

Yea, he was completely brainwashed, it sent chills down my spine. He thinks he's a hero for the work he's doing, I don't doubt it. He has endless sympathy and empathy for officers and troops that get killed, but seems to have absolutely no remorse or regrets whatsoever for those who are harmed by his "brothers in arms". He didn't even hesitate for a second to defend the police officers who raided an innocent families house and shoot the dogs. Wouldn't even admit that it was a mistake, just deemed it as "necessary".

People like him make me sick....

I will try to watch tomorrow.

Awesome! :)

He starts off by showing a debate he had with Sean Hannity, then he Interviews that guy from that viral video where the dogs were killed when he and his family were raided in the police raid. He also has a debate between 2 Police Officers that disagree on this issue, and brings in a harvard economist as well as the audience, which happened to have another police chief in it. A lot of the discussion gets fairly heated, and there's and the rational argument becomes pretty dam clear, i think.

It was a great episode.

RSLudlum
06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Loved how Paul skirted the Constitution question in reference to the need for an amendment for the drug war to be constitutional.

kkassam
06-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Did that cop not understand the question about the Constitutionality of the drug war (why did alcohol prohibition require a Constitutional amendment but not prohibition for other drugs) or was he just evading? I think the latter--either way he looked like a fool.

ClayTrainor
06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Loved how Paul skirted the Constitution question in reference to the need for an amendment for the drug war to be constitutional.

Yea. He seemed to have trouble giving a straight answer to anything really. It's gotta be hard to admit to yourself that you've been destroying countless lives by enforcing rules for the wrong reasons.

That black police officer looked like he was going to cry when he talked about the people affected by this. You can tell he genuinely cared about public safety, unlike the other cop.

RileyE104
06-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Neill Franklin FTW! He destroyed that guy in the debate!

idirtify
06-18-2010, 08:10 AM
Yea. He seemed to have trouble giving a straight answer to anything really. It's gotta be hard to admit to yourself that you've been destroying countless lives by enforcing rules for the wrong reasons.

The prohibitionist cop:
1. made no points that were not easily refuted by well-known facts;
2. when faced with good rebuttals, resorted to denial & repetition;
3. showed no respect for the constitution;
4. but most importantly - got no applause for any comment.

catdd
06-18-2010, 08:55 AM
The prohibitionist cop:

He was clearly loosing every argument but continued the "good fight" as if he were programmed.
The drug war is a tremendous drain on the economy.

tangent4ronpaul
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Hannity: "Sometimes you just have to raise your hands and say checkmate"

CLASSIC! :D

-t

idirtify
06-18-2010, 09:07 AM
A curious thing happened early in the video. When asked for a show of hands, at least a couple older audience members indicated that they would agree with legalizing heroin but not ecstasy. I’m wondering what could explain this viewpoint.

low preference guy
06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
A curious thing happened early in the video. When asked for a show of hands, at least a couple older audience members indicated that they would agree with legalizing heroin but not ecstasy. I’m wondering what could explain this viewpoint.

They were just tired of raising their hands for the fourth time.

catdd
06-18-2010, 09:28 AM

:D

fisharmor
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
The prohibitionist cop:

Oh holy crap, where did they find this muppet.
Future politician right there - good looking, sticks to talking points that have already been thoroughly debunked, crafted his own reality, incapable of reason.

AGRP
06-18-2010, 09:50 AM
This drug debate makes me go crazy, so i rarely even comment on it.

I dont do drugs, but something seems fishy when people are allowed to keep a deadly amount of asprin, a bottle of deadly everclear, yet will go to prison over a non-lethal amount (not lethal at all) of a drug such as mj.

AGRP
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM

This. Its nap time anyway.

idirtify
06-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Oh holy crap, where did they find this muppet.
Future politician right there - good looking, sticks to talking points that have already been thoroughly debunked, crafted his own reality, incapable of reason.

Yes sir, this boy has a bright future indeed!

“So you find yourself a despicable human being with low moral character, yet with the uncanny ability to appeal to the many? Well don’t despair; you have a promising career waiting at the federal government!”

idirtify
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM

I dont do drugs, but something seems fishy when people are allowed to keep a deadly amount of asprin, a bottle of deadly everclear, yet will go to prison over a non-lethal amount (not lethal at all) of a drug such as mj.

Even more insane is the prohibition against hallucinogens, which are just as non-lethal yet are Schedule I.

AGRP
06-18-2010, 10:10 AM
As much as i hate seeing/hearing it, im glad hes showing that swat team killing the dog.

Perhaps that will change a lot of peoples minds who havent seen it.

Matt Collins
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM

CLASSIC! :D
We need to cut that part of the video and make a meme out of it! :)

And it needs to be done toady!

Dr.3D
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM

It's not even really a drug, but rather an herb. Herbal medications have been around for thousands of years, and just recently have come under fire.

BuddyRey
06-18-2010, 11:11 AM
John Stossel is so awesome; one of my absolute favorite television commentators, and that's quite an honor given that the list of pundits I can tolerate is so short.

One possible mistake I did catch, however, was earlier on in the show when John said that many teens claim it's as easy to obtain illegal drugs as it is to buy alcohol. I've heard that it's actually far easier for young people to get illegal substances on the black market, because dealers have no real incentive to check ID.

It's hard to find figures on something like this, and I'm not sure whether or not there's been a comprehensive study, but I'd be curious as to the findings such research would yield.

low preference guy
06-18-2010, 11:20 AM
It's hard to find figures on something like this, and I'm not sure whether or not there's been a comprehensive study, but I'd be curious as to the findings such research would yield.

I disagree. No research is necessary. Everyone knows drug dealers don't check for IDs.

Matt Collins
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I just watched the first 10 minutes. It's hilarious to sit there and hear Hannity sound like a liberal: "oh it's for society's good, think of the children, we must mother everyone" :D:D:D

catdd
06-18-2010, 12:18 PM
"And it needs to be done toady!"

ClayTrainor
06-18-2010, 12:39 PM
One possible mistake I did catch, however, was earlier on in the show when John said that many teens claim it's as easy to obtain illegal drugs as it is to buy alcohol. I've heard that it's actually far easier for young people to get illegal substances on the black market, because dealers have no real incentive to check ID.

Also, Young people also have the least amount of risk, when they sell illegal drugs. If they are under 18 and get caught, they usually get some kind of slap on the wrist, unlike people over 18 that get punished much harsher. This makes students the ideal employee for any black market operation.

I can tell you that in my high school, no one had any trouble finding various kinds of illegal drugs at lunch time. Nobody was dealing alcohol.

Kregisen
06-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Go to the episode at 33:20

The police officer is asked where the federal government gets the right for the war on drugs without an amendment to the Constitution...

Listen to his response. He talks about Iraq :D

Stossel stops him and asks the same question again.....

this time the dude talks and says absolutely nothing. He doesn't even know what he's saying....

These are the type of dumbasses who are against legalization and freedom.

.Tom
06-18-2010, 09:44 PM
People should never listen to cops' opinions because it's against their self-interest to be for legalization. They love being able to get paid to kidnap people and put them in cages for smoking plants. It's all about job security for the pigs.

Also, I love how the neocon drug warrior in this video uses the whole "We can't just give up!" mentality that keeps the military industrial complex alive. By his logic, anything the government decides to do should be carried out forever because quitting is bad no matter what. Hitler should have kept gassing people because failure is not an option. The government is always noble and righteous and if you disagree you're an evil fucking drug dealing anti-American terrorist!

USAFCapt
06-19-2010, 10:15 AM
YouTube - Stossel Vs. Hannity on Drug Legalization (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s81_QUTWJ4)

Wesker1982
06-19-2010, 12:40 PM
loled so many times at the white cop

tangent4ronpaul
06-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post

CLASSIC!

We need to cut that part of the video and make a meme out of it! :)

And it needs to be done toady!

Anybody?, Anybody?

-t