PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the net neutrality crap to me?

Sematary
06-17-2010, 07:53 AM
I have never understood this debate. Can someone explain what it is the telecoms are looking for? Why the fcc does or does not want to give it to them and what it means for us because I'm just a little confused on this one.

Elwar
06-17-2010, 08:03 AM
In theory they're trying to stop something that would never happen.

The scary picture painted is that AT&T would provide Internet service but then block all content to Sprint's websites because they're so evil. Or Comcast might start blocking hulu because they offer TV which could cut into their cable programming, etc.

So, the wonderful government has taken it upon themselves to stop these bad things before they happen by trying to stick their foot in the door of the unregulated Internet by promising that everyone will have what they currently have on the Internet.

Basically, the government is saving us from a non-existent boogie man. In exchange, they will have control of the Internet.

Epic
06-17-2010, 08:11 AM
let's just say that actual net neutrality is the opposite of "net neutrality"

http://mises.org/daily/2139

BenIsForRon
06-17-2010, 08:28 AM
I have never understood this debate. Can someone explain what it is the telecoms are looking for? Why the fcc does or does not want to give it to them and what it means for us because I'm just a little confused on this one.

Some people are concerned that telecoms could encroach on civil liberties, by blocking sites that compete with their products, or even sites that don't jive with their politics (AT&T could block sites criticizing warrantless wiretapping, for example). However, net neutrality would give government authority over the internet, and it should have none.

One potential solution would be to allow multiple telecoms to lay down cable, or allow multiple telecoms to compete over one cable. This type of legislation would likely have to happen at the state level. Right now, your local cable company probably has a state supported monopoly, as they were the only company given the privilege to bury their cable along with the phone lines. Competition needs to be opened up, so that there will be consequences for their actions.

specsaregood
06-17-2010, 08:33 AM
Basically, the government is saving us from a non-existent boogie man. In exchange, they will have control of the Internet.

Yup, that^ about sums it up.

Elwar
06-17-2010, 09:34 AM
One potential solution would be to allow multiple telecoms to lay down cable, or allow multiple telecoms to compete over one cable. This type of legislation would likely have to happen at the state level. Right now, your local cable company probably has a state supported monopoly, as they were the only company given the privilege to bury their cable along with the phone lines. Competition needs to be opened up, so that there will be consequences for their actions.

This tends to be on the local level. I have the choice of two cable providers right now, many people have the choice of several in different cities.

There is a bit of government created monopolies going on with cable companies because of the use of public land, but smart communities will realize the benefit of allowing many companies to lay cable. They get money from each company so the more the merrier for them.

But with the ability to get Internet over your phone line, your cable, via satellite or from a mobile carrier, there's really no reason for legislation. People drop Internet companies for bad customer service...if a company started limiting their Internet usage, they'd be dropped in a second.

specsaregood
06-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Some people are concerned that telecoms could encroach on civil liberties, by blocking sites that compete with their products, or even sites that don't jive with their politics (AT&T could block sites criticizing warrantless wiretapping, for example). However, net neutrality would give government authority over the internet, and it should have none.

Another argument that I have seen even more is with the ISP's blocking or bandwidth limiting certain services such as torrents. This is unpopular with people that don't respect copyright laws --yes I know there is a very small minority of this protocol used for legit pruproses -- And for some reason people think that by passing the net neutrality stuff the isps will be stopped from blocking those services. The issue is, torrents use your computer as a "server" and running a server on a consumer level account is usually explicitly disallowed, but they do offer business level accounts where you can run a server so it is more of a contract/usage issue rather than a protocol/copyright issue. And to the naivety of people that think letting the government get more involved will allow even more copyright violations....well they haven't been paying attention.

Original_Intent
06-17-2010, 09:59 AM
A ninja explains all you need to know about net neutrality.

YouTube - Ask A Ninja Special Delivery 4 "Net Neutrality" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H69eCYcDcuQ&feature=fvw)

Matt Collins
08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
YouTube - The Open Internet and Lessons from the Ma Bell Era (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS_udd5K91o&feature=player_embedded)

awake
08-02-2010, 04:55 PM
To keep the net free from bad people, bad people must regulate it to their standard of neutrality.

Neutrality must be regulated by the government for everyone's protection.

Paleo
08-02-2010, 04:55 PM
The fight in essence is who gets to manipulate what gets on the internet, big government, or big corporations.

sigh.

Dr.3D
08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I have broadband internet service, but since it is from the local telephone company, they have reduced the bandwidth required to use VOIP and thus I still have to get my telephone service though the same company as I am getting my internet service. There are no other ISP in the area so I am over a barrel.

I don't subscribe to letting big government have control of the internet, but am at a conundrum as to how to solve the problem I have with my current ISP.

dannno
08-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Elwar got it right in the first post, but the other interesting aspect to this whole thing is that the telcos are actually feigning to be against net neutrality.. which of course causes everyone to rebel and take the opposite stance. They are using reverse psychology so that they can get the government to control the internet.. cause they control the government, so essentially the big telcos would control the internet and could keep out competition very easily using the violent coercion of the state.