PDA

View Full Version : Oath of Office Bonding

Travlyr
06-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Constitutional Scholar WINFRED PAUL ADAMS, MAJOR USAF Retired writes:

THE PURPOSE OF A PENAL BOND BINDING A PUBLIC OFFICE HOLDER TO THE PROMISES CONTAINED IN THE OATH OF OFFICE

NMSA 10-2-9: Each and every person who may hereafter be elected or appointed to office in New Mexico, is required by law to give bond, shall file the same for record before entering upon the discharge of the duties of the office.

All persons elected or appointed to a state public office are mandated, within 30 days, to take the oath of office prescribed under Article XX, Section 1, Constitution of New Mexico, and as soon after doing so within the 30 day grace period, they must give a signed penal bond binding them to the promises contained in the oath taken; otherwise, the office becomes vacant. At the end of the 30 day grace period, failure to complete any of the required steps necessary to enter the office prevents one's entry into the office and prohibits one from discharging the duties of that office and denies one from being impeached from office. Being bound by oath is mandated for all public officers, both state and federal, by Article VI, Clause 3, Constitution of the United States.

Upon giving a signed penal bond and upon having evidence of both the oath taken and the bond given is recorded among the Records in the Office of the Secretary of State, the person elected or appointed to public office then becomes eligible to take the office to which they were appointed or elected and thereafter, and only thereafter, to discharge the duties of that office.

By taking the oath of office, one initiates a common law contract with the public at-large. Upon presenting the evidence of the oath taken and the signed penal bond given for recording, the oath taker becomes bound by the penal bond to the promises contained within the oath. At that point, the contract is consummated since the bond recorded becomes the oath taker's consideration to the general public, which is then matched by a grant of the public's trust as their consideration for the contract, and that trust is exercised only from within the office held.

An abuse of office does not withdraw the public trust as the law covering the duties of office applies. Only a failure to keep the promises made upon taking the oath is the essential fact necessary to withdraws the public trust which is accomplished simply by calling the bond from the Office of the Secretary of State with the proof of the breach. The penal bond insurer is then required to pay the value of the bond to the State Treasury. The insurer may then seek relief for having paid off the bond proceeds in a court of law against its offender, the penal bond holder. Upon entering office, the office holder may, at times, abuse the office by a deliberate act at which time the liability insurance coverage for the office, not the person, may compensate the injured party in a tort action.

It may be that no political office holder in any state has purchased a penal bond since the 60's. This would mean that all public offices are vacant by law.

phill4paul
06-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Constitutional Scholar WINFRED PAUL ADAMS, MAJOR USAF Retired writes:

It may be that no political office holder in any state has purchased a penal bond since the 60's. This would mean that all public offices are vacant by law.

Enter the Liaryers.

Taco John
06-16-2010, 05:38 PM
This thread isn't about what I thought it was...

Old Ducker
06-16-2010, 05:47 PM

+1

awake
06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Glue for erectile dysfunction?

Travlyr
06-16-2010, 05:53 PM
I guess I should have thought about the fact that most people would not know the definition of penal... sheesh... this is such an important issue currently being considered by the New Mexico Supreme Court.

Mods.. could you modify the title to read... Oath of Office Bonding.... Thanks. :cool:

pe·nal (pnl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or prescribing punishment, as for breaking the law.
2. Subject to punishment; legally punishable: a penal offense.
3. Serving as or constituting a means or place of punishment: penal servitude; a penal colony.

Travlyr
06-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Enter the Liaryers.

Lol. It's not the liaryers... it's the judges. At the moment the NM Supreme Court is trying to determine if anybody has the authority to rule on the case. None of the district judges have a penal bond, so the NMSC is looking for a qualified judge.

Xenophage
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Penal bond.... sounds kind of... gay!

Xenophage
06-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I guess I should have thought about the fact that most people would not know the definition of penal... sheesh... this is such an important issue currently being considered by the New Mexico Supreme Court.

Mods.. could you modify the title to read... Oath of Office Bonding.... Thanks. :cool:

pe·nal (pnl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or prescribing punishment, as for breaking the law.
2. Subject to punishment; legally punishable: a penal offense.
3. Serving as or constituting a means or place of punishment: penal servitude; a penal colony.

4. Of or having to do with that *certain* male body part.

dannno
06-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Worst thread title ever.

Travlyr
06-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Worst thread title ever.

Thanks! I wish I could change it! :)

Dr.3D
06-16-2010, 06:21 PM
4. Of or having to do with that *certain* male body part.

Always wondered why the penal system was such a bunch of dicks

Edit: Oh wait, that would be the penile system... never mind. :D

Roxi
06-16-2010, 06:28 PM
I had a joke all ready, and the thread was just too bad ass for me to mess up.... I don't know what to say now :)

any lawyers around here?

Zippyjuan
06-16-2010, 08:29 PM

I was getting some weird image of male body parts in leather or all tied up. yech. Not my cuppa joe.

ionlyknowy
06-17-2010, 02:06 AM
I had a joke all ready, and the thread was just too bad ass for me to mess up.... I don't know what to say now :)

any lawyers around here?

im in law school if that counts lol

ionlyknowy
06-17-2010, 02:26 AM
The actual NM statute reads like this

§ 10-2-9. [Recording as prerequisite to discharging duties of office.]

Each and every person who may hereafter be elected or appointed to office in this state, required by law to give bond, shall file the same for record before entering upon the discharge of the duties of the office.
N.M. Stat. Ann. § 10-2-9

So the added 30 day requirement is not enumerated in an actual statute as far as I can tell.

Here is the real procedure in the statutes:

§ 10-2-12. [Insufficient bond of county or precinct officer; new bond required; failure to provide; procedure; decree of vacancy by district court.]

It shall be the duty of the board of county commissioners of each county at each regular meeting thereof on the first day of each meeting to examine and inquire into the sufficiency of all the official bonds given or to be given by any county or precinct officer as required by law, and if it shall appear that any one or more of the securities on the official bond of any county officer has or have removed from the county, died, or become insolvent, or of doubtful solvency, the said board of county commissioners shall cause such county or precinct officer to be summoned to appear before the said board on a day to be named in said summons, to show cause why he should not be required to give a new bond with sufficient security, and if at the appointed time he shall fail to satisfy said board as to the sufficiency of the present security, an order shall be entered of record by said board requiring such county or precinct officer, to file in the office of the county clerk within twenty days, a new bond to be approved as required by law, unless the number and pecuniary ability of other securities on said bond shall be such as to satisfy the board that the bond is sufficient, notwithstanding one or more of the securities on said bond may have removed, be dead, insolvent or of doubtful solvency, in which case the bond in question may be, in the discretion of the board, held sufficient. In the event any such bond is found insufficient, and a new bond is not filed as ordered, the fact shall be certified by the board of county commissioners to the district court of the county, and shall also be certified to the district attorney of the judicial district wherein such county is located; and it shall thereupon become the duty of the district attorney to cause a hearing to be had in said district court for the purpose of adjudicating and declaring a vacancy in such office, in the event the district court determines, after a hearing, that the bond is in fact insufficient, and such officer fails within five days after the district court has so found to file a new bond with sufficient surety as required by law. Upon the entry of such decree of vacancy it shall thereupon become the duty of the appointing power to fill such office in the manner provided by law.
N.M. Stat. Ann. § 10-2-12

So it seems that the statutes give the officer of the state many opportunities to correct their mistake of not filing a bond.