PDA

View Full Version : Hispanic Residents in NYC Suburb get...6 votes.

Cowlesy
06-15-2010, 10:02 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_el_st_lo/us_voting_rights_election

I'm not even sure really what to say. More at the link.

By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer Jim Fitzgerald, Associated Press Writer – Tue Jun 15, 4:08 pm ET

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. – Arthur Furano voted early — five days before Election Day. And he voted often, flipping the lever six times for his favorite candidate. Furano cast multiple votes on the instructions of a federal judge and the U.S. Department of Justice as part of a new election system crafted to help boost Hispanic representation.

Voters in Port Chester, 25 miles northeast of New York City, are electing village trustees for the first time since the federal government alleged in 2006 that the existing election system was unfair. The election ends Tuesday and results are expected late Tuesday.

Although the village of about 30,000 residents is nearly half Hispanic, no Latino had ever been elected to any of the six trustee seats, which until now were chosen in a conventional at-large election. Most voters were white, and white candidates always won.

Vessol
06-15-2010, 10:04 PM
You're a racist...?

susano
06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Okay, at first I was like WTF? but upon reading it, they are voting for six trustees, right? Wouldn't that be normal to vote on six seats (i.e. six votes)? Isn't like when university trustees are on the ballot and it will say pick up to four (or whatever)?

specsaregood
06-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not even sure really what to say. More at the link.

Cowlesy, everybody gets 6 votes, not just any particular group. The change is that you can either split the votes up or vote 6times for a single candidate. The theory is it gives candidates representing minority opinions a greater chance of succeeding. eg: if a liberty candidate was running for a membership in a neocon controlled area. This type of voting could help assure that at least one liberty candidate made it on board.

squarepusher
06-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Cowlesy wants to put landmines on the border

constituent
06-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Cowlesy, everybody gets 6 votes, not just any particular group. The change is that you can either split the votes up or vote 6times for a single candidate. The theory is it gives candidates representing minority opinions a greater chance of succeeding. eg: if a liberty candidate was running for a membership in a neocon controlled area. This type of voting could help assure that at least one liberty candidate made it on board.

whoops...

MelissaWV
06-16-2010, 07:06 AM
Specs beat me to it.

In all fairness, the thread title doesn't say ONLY Hispanic Residents, so he's technically correct ;)

Cowlesy
06-16-2010, 07:23 AM

That makes more sense. I skimmed it briefly and posted it. Glad someone read it more thoroughly (and it doesn't appear to apply to federal elections).

Noob
06-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Sounds like a way to make it harder for the durg runners to get across the border.

Cowlesy
06-16-2010, 07:36 AM

my dog used to leave landmines in the yard

MelissaWV
06-16-2010, 10:39 AM
my dog used to leave landmines in the yard

You know, that is brilliant.

We should put dog poop all along the border, or even cow poop (fertilizer, good for the environment) and ensure that sprinklers or shading make it nice and fragrant. No one likes to step in feces. No one really likes to chance tunneling under feces, either, I'd guess. If you make it across a wide patch of steaming fecal matter, then you must REALLY want to get into the USA.

constituent
06-16-2010, 11:57 AM
You know, that is brilliant.

We should put dog poop all along the border, or even cow poop (fertilizer, good for the environment) and ensure that sprinklers or shading make it nice and fragrant. No one likes to step in feces. No one really likes to chance tunneling under feces, either, I'd guess. If you make it across a wide patch of steaming fecal matter, then you must REALLY want to get into the USA.

Yea, but then the runoff would clog and contaminate the river.

specsaregood
06-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Specs beat me to it.

In all fairness, the thread title doesn't say ONLY Hispanic Residents, so he's technically correct ;)

In even more fairness, i'm pretty sure the AP article when it first ran said "Hispanic Residents..." implying it was only hispanics. They have since changed it to "residents". But I'm pretty sure when I first read it, it was the sensational version.

MelissaWV
06-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Yea, but then the runoff would clog and contaminate the river.

Cow poop doesn't get into the water NOW? You're right, of course, and property owners in the area would complain about the stink. That's the price you pay for preventing immigration, though! (The scary thing is, I could probably get some people to agree it's worth it.)

BlackTerrel
06-16-2010, 03:59 PM
In even more fairness, i'm pretty sure the AP article when it first ran said "Hispanic Residents..." implying it was only hispanics. They have since changed it to "residents". But I'm pretty sure when I first read it, it was the sensational version.

That would generate a lot more clicks wouldn't it?