PDA

View Full Version : Should Ron stop saying that he's surprised by his success?

JPFromTally
10-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Dr. Paul is so honest and humble that he always expresses surprise about the success of his campaign. He also never seems to want to seem too confident about the certainty of occupying the White House.

I hardly ever critique him for everything. He is who he is and that's why we love him. However, I believe we are at a point where this is hurting his campaign. He needs to sound confident about the movement and confident about being in the White House.

Ron Paul Fan
10-13-2007, 04:09 PM
No. He shouldn't stop saying anything he doesn't want to stop saying. When he started the campaign, he was reluctant and wasn't sure what would happen. I'm guessing he never imagined that he'd raise $5 million in one quarter. Ron Paul is an honest man. He knows that realstically it's going to be tough. It's not going to be duck soup or a cakewalk! Tell the supporters that and they'll work harder! Ron Paul!

And I would encourage all of my fellow forum members to follow my lead in voting NO in yet another poll.

BarryDonegan
10-13-2007, 04:14 PM
how about a moritorium on the "should ron paul stop saying..." posts.

there are far too many and they are counterproductive. ron paul is ron paul, hes gonna say ron paul stuff, and people like him a lot. if people find out about him they will vote for him, its our job to fix that part. hes pretty much packaged and ready to go when it comes to what the product of his message is.

kylejack
10-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I mean, think about what he's accomplished. He used to use direct mail (very expensive) to raise about $1 million dollars for the entire campaign nationally from his national base of supporters. Now he has a website up and makes $1.2 million in just a week. He has to be totally blown away with how successful he's been, and how he can get the youth of America excited with a message that generally resonates only with middle-aged men.

When he says he's amazed with how far he's come, he's just being honest, and it really does endear him to voters.

constituent
10-13-2007, 04:18 PM
yes, be assumptive. the people are looking for their leader, and they are looking to ron paul to say, "Yes, I'm the leader."

It's really as simple as that, he's "america's darling" the media just hasn't quite caught on yet, but they will.

kylejack
10-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I hate these anti-Ron Paul George Phillies ads I keep seeing here. If Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination, Steve Kubby has my support over this prick.

manuel
10-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I say no, because to me it says that the people are attracted to the message. At least, that's how I see it.

torchbearer
10-13-2007, 04:21 PM
He should say what he honestly feels, and if he is surprised by it... he should say so

terlinguatx
10-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Roxi
10-13-2007, 04:25 PM
does anyone know the stats on how the first campaign did? like how much did he raise when he ran in 88, and how many votes devided by state did he get, what were his strong cities back then etc?

kylejack
10-13-2007, 04:26 PM
500K votes, but I don't have details.

JPFromTally
10-13-2007, 06:59 PM
I agree that scrutinizing what he says is counterproductive. But in this area, I wanted to see if anybody else felt the same way.

Trassin
10-13-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, Yes, YES! but also don't be to cocky.

It also really bothers me that I keep hearing how shows have invited "all the candidates" but Ron Paul hasn't been on.

Richandler
10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
He needs to talk about how he has 2,000 people coming to hear him talk.

Adamsa
10-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Ron Paul should say whatever he wants, thats how he has gotten so far.

Perry
10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
It doesn't matter.

undergroundrr
10-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Ron Paul's inaugural address - "I'm surprised and delighted that you want me to be the President of the United States of America."

Love it.

goldstandard
10-13-2007, 08:20 PM
I love him for his honesty and that's rare, so he should say what he thinks.

Mandrik
10-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I love him for his honesty and that's rare, so he should say what he thinks.

" "

Nathan Hale
10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
No. He shouldn't stop saying anything he doesn't want to stop saying. When he started the campaign, he was reluctant and wasn't sure what would happen. I'm guessing he never imagined that he'd raise $5 million in one quarter. Ron Paul is an honest man. He knows that realstically it's going to be tough. It's not going to be duck soup or a cakewalk! Tell the supporters that and they'll work harder! Ron Paul!

And I would encourage all of my fellow forum members to follow my lead in voting NO in yet another poll.

There's a difference between knowing that it won't be a cakewalk and giving the "gosh, who me?" line whenever a reporter asks him about his popularity. He needs to start showing confidence in himself and his campaign.

Nathan Hale
10-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I hate these anti-Ron Paul George Phillies ads I keep seeing here. If Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination, Steve Kubby has my support over this prick.

Ron Paul is likely going to run as an independent if he doesn't get the R nomination. After all, he's energized such a huge core following that he could easily take them to an independent run - though he won't do a Libertarian run.

demosthenes
10-13-2007, 08:35 PM
being himself and telling the truth has done well for him so far, and i dont think manipulating peoples perceptions by the way he acts really fits his general message so i think he should keep doing what hes always done

Ron Paul is likely going to run as an independent if he doesn't get the R nomination.

He has stated many times that he has no intention of doing this, im not sure where you got this idea from.

kylejack
10-13-2007, 08:49 PM
There's an old phrase that the campaign staff used back in the day that goes, "Let Nixon be Nixon." Ron Paul is charismatic and knows how to package his message and get elected. Our job is to trust him and get out there with slimjims.

LBT
10-13-2007, 09:10 PM
In the long run humility will win him many more fans.

I listened to Kucinich the other day and he sounded so smarmy (unctuously ingraciating) trying to brag himself up.

In contrast, at the Robert Taft Club address, Ron mentioned that "The message hasn't got the greatest orator, but is the greatest message".

If a people prefer a braggart like George Bush over a wise gentleman like Ron Paul then they deserve to get Democracy good and hard, as H.L.Mencken suggested.

Man from La Mancha
10-13-2007, 09:18 PM
I didn't read all this but most every thing I hear from Paul is the same, but to new people which there are 100 million it won't be. What worked on us in the beginning will work on the newbies. Fortunately Ron has made a huge complex subject simple so he will be repeating it over and over. It's a simple and short message like the constitution.

Proemio
10-13-2007, 09:37 PM
This poll can't be scientific unless we subdivide the middle option into a weighted scale from 1 to 3.14159. How much pregn... - erm, cocky - is acceptably perfect?

-------------------
Seriously, the only valid option is not available, just as it tends to be the case with the usual 'scientific' polls:

Given that : "I don't want to run your life. I don't know how to run your life. I don't have the authority to run your life. And the Constitution does not permit me to run your life." - Ron Paul, AA MI, Oct.9, 2007
Do u agree? Check

There is also (paraphrasing): Liberty will produce prosperity by unleashing the creativity [unique by definition] of each individual.

There is lots more in the same vain and with refreshing consistency.
-------------------

Now, call me naïve, but I believe the man means precisely what he sais.
Therefore, to suggest any conformity - in one direction or the other - is not only presumtuous, but also misses a central point of his whole Freedom message.

Calling on Ron Paul to be something he is not or may not want to be, or - while we're at it - waiting for him to give us our "marching orders", sounds slightly --- improbable. But not to worry - we can win this thing despite our insecurities...

kylejack
10-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Given that : "I don't want to run your life. I don't know how to run your life. I don't have the authority to run your life. And the Constitution does not permit me to run your life." - Ron Paul, AA MI, Oct.9, 2007

This is a pretty common LP talking point. Harry Browne and Badnarik both used it.

Politeia
10-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Should Ron stop saying that he's surprised by his success?

No. And I find questions like this annoyingly presumptuous. And "polls" which don't offer an option I can check annoying. "Sounding surprised is humble and will probably apeal to more voters" is not my reason for voting No. My reason is that it's none of my business to tell Dr. Paul what to do. Period.

I do occasionally feel, while watching Dr. Paul, that perhaps I could have said something better. But I am not Dr. Paul. It is not my place -- or yours -- to pass judgment on his "performance". Until, that is, I -- or you -- can show by example that I can duplicate his success.

Ron Paul is already so far beyond anything America deserves that I would suggest whatever energy we can muster would be better used simply in the effort to make him known more widely. He will sell himself, by being himself. Which is all he'll ever be, and that's why people like him. He's the true WYSIWYG candidate.

quickmike
10-13-2007, 10:03 PM

LOL

George Phillies:D

The libertarian party really needs to throw its complete support behind Ron right now. They need to understand that their only chance is to work within the system if they want to change it.

I agree about Kubby though......... great guy. Its just the Libertarian party has ZERO chance of getting anything right now, at least until someone gets in office that can help change campaign rules that screw 3rd parties so bad.

ValidusCustodiae
10-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Why are we trying to tell this man how to run his campaign all the time? If you have that little faith in him why do you want him as your President? Give him the respect to express himself as he chooses and let the people decide. Why would you want to sway his view of things? If he decides to say it's in the bag tomorrow, then fine, but why push him to it? If you want to run for President, go ahead, but I have a feeling you'll have a hard time beating

RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!

Proemio
10-13-2007, 10:27 PM
This is a pretty common LP talking point. Harry Browne and Badnarik both used it.

Who'da thunk. So? The question is: do you believe Ron Paul means what he sais?

I do, because it is totally and rigorously consistent with the thousands of his lines I have read and heard from him. It may very well be just a common talking point to your average snake-oil salesman (tho I would not count Browne and Badnarik as such either), but so what?

In over 40 years in, out and around various (s)election sharades, I have never encountered a candidate anywhere, on any level, with his intellectual integrity - which is all we have to go by. So, either he is the real deal and means to stick precisely to what he sais, or I will have to find religion and start believing in bible prophecies...

dude58677
10-14-2007, 12:06 AM
LOL

George Phillies:D

The libertarian party really needs to throw its complete support behind Ron right now. They need to understand that their only chance is to work within the system if they want to change it.

I agree about Kubby though......... great guy. Its just the Libertarian party has ZERO chance of getting anything right now, at least until someone gets in office that can help change campaign rules that screw 3rd parties so bad.

No third party has a chance because of the electoral college. Not even Teddy Roosevelt could win as a third party even though he got 84 electroral votes.

kylejack
10-14-2007, 12:26 AM
No third party has a chance because of the electoral college. Not even Teddy Roosevelt could win as a third party even though he got 84 electroral votes.

That's right, the Republicans and Democrats founded our country!

TVMH
10-14-2007, 12:38 AM
There needs to be fourth option in this poll.

"Undecided. He should say whatever he believes to be true." ;)

Nathan Hale
10-15-2007, 08:31 PM
He has stated many times that he has no intention of doing this, im not sure where you got this idea from.

He has "no intention of running". Right, just like Hillary Clinton - because that is precisely the same verbiage she used before she declared. When politicians (Ron Paul included) say they have no plans or intentions, that's code for "maybe". It's precise rhetoric that gives them the option to change their mind at a later date. When asked later, he can always say "well, i had no plan to, now I do". There's only one answer that means no, and that answer is "no".

He has, however, said no to a third party nod, so it's my opinion that he'll go independent if he doesn't get the R.