PDA

View Full Version : Destin, Florida takes control

susano
06-15-2010, 12:32 PM
DESTIN — Okaloosa County isn’t taking oil spill orders any more.

County commissioners voted unanimously to give their emergency management team the power to take whatever action it deems necessary to prevent oil from the Deepwater Horizon spill from entering Choctawhatchee Bay through the East Pass.

President Obama tours Pensacola Beach. »

Is this oil? You decide. »

View BP's live feed of the runaway oil well. »

View Monday's oil spill photos. »

That means the team, led by Public Safety Director Dino Villani, can take whatever action it sees fit to protect the pass without having its plans approved by state or federal authorities.

Commission chairman Wayne Harris said he and his fellow commissioners made their unanimous decision knowing full well they could be prosecuted for it.

“We made the decision legislatively to break the laws if necessary. We will do whatever it takes to protect our county’s waterways and we’re prepared to go to jail to do it,” he said.

That freed Villani to take several actions deemed important to further armor the Destin pass without waiting for authorization from the state Emergency Operations Center in Tallahassee and the unified spill command in Mobile.

Commissioners gave him the go-ahead to spend $200,000 to pay for an underwater “air curtain” designed to push oil up where it can be collected and $16,500 a day to operate and maintain it.

He has authority to, without a nod from the U.S. Coast Guard, deploy barges, weighted so that they’ll sit low in the water across the entrance to the pass.

He is also authorized to look into a slip curtain, another underwater oil-catching device.

Though they now have the authority, both Villani and Okaloosa County Administrator Jim Curry said they will continue to work with the state and federal authorities to get their plans approved.

Curry said what the commissioners did Monday was “send a loud and clear message” to the Coast Guard, the state Department of Environmental Protection and others that Okaloosa County’s permit requests should be acted on immediately.

The commission met in an emergency meeting alongside the Destin City Council. The two governing bodies confronted a full room of obviously frustrated people, many of whom advocated filling in the entrance of the pass to close it down completely.

It was agreed that filling in the pass was a bad idea that could have serious environmental impacts.

Jay Prothro, BP’s representative for Okaloosa County, and two representatives of the Coast Guard were also present.

While Martha LaGuardia, a commander with the Coast Guard, argued that moving ideas and plans through the chain of command was the proper way to do things, Harris made it known the County Commission was tired of the often tedious and sometimes unproductive bureaucracy.

“We’ve played the game. We’re done playing the game,” he said.

http://www.thedestinlog.com/news/pass-30005-nwfdn-command-plans.html

Elwar
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Good for them.

I live right on the gulf. I already have plans for how I'll be blocking the oil if it comes our way. Whatever it takes.

susano
06-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Meanwhile, in the District of Corruption....

(just found this post at GLP)

Just got done monitoring the WH conference call on the Gulf/BP disaster. Carole Browner and Valerie (Jarrett). Can't be sure about Jarrett as she was called by first name only and I called in late.

Of the part I was able to hear, there was absolutely NOTHING NEW. They spoke of collecting more through the obviously insufficient cap (no reference to huge leak observed this AM below the BOP that doesn't even get to the cap), burning, booming and cleanup.

No mention of shutting off the vulnerable passes.

No mention of ordering US flagged tankers and other ships to be placed at disposal of local emergency response crews or CG. for critical clean-up and collection operations.

No mention of use of hydrocarbon eating microbes.

No mention of tube-skirt (see youtube or google 'SQUID' to find out more about this brilliant point-of-leak collection technique) to collect oil currently gushing from the well.

No mention of use of large bladders to use for oil collected from the aforementioned tube skirt or from the grossly inadequate cap now in place.

No mention of how to more effectively coordinate spill response teams across (so far) three states.

No mention of utilizing offers of assistance from other countries.

They can't be this incompetent. I seems possible that they know the situation is hopeless and they're just going through the motions for now.

susano
06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Good for them.

I live right on the gulf. I already have plans for how I'll be blocking the oil if it comes our way. Whatever it takes.

Take this article to your local gov't and demand they do the same. You'll need the money and resources.

rancher89
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Good trend, that's at least two communities that have decided that they can't wait anylonger..

MsDoodahs
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
They can't be this incompetent.

The fedgov is intentionally avoiding doing anything because Obama and his band of fucking SNAKES wants to get cap and trade passed, and this is their opportunity to do exactly that.

The more devastation on the Gulf, the more pressure to stop using fossil fuels, you know.

Elwar
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Take this article to your local gov't and demand they do the same. You'll need the money and resources.

All I need are sand bags and sand.

And my neighbors at low tide.

susano
06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
The fedgov is intentionally avoiding doing anything because Obama and his band of fucking SNAKES wants to get cap and trade passed, and this is their opportunity to do exactly that.

The more devastation on the Gulf, the more pressure to stop using fossil fuels, you know.

100% agree. In fact, I believe this failure to contain the oil and to protect the marshes and marine life is deliberate.

That worthless bitch, Carol Browner, was just on Chris Matthews acting all tough. saying she wasn't going to let BP get away with anything. This charade is making me ill. This administration has done nothing BUT let BP get away with murder. Now, two months later, they take on the roles of people who are doing something. Browner is the new "Brownie". This broad is from Florida, ffs, and has entire career working with industry and environmental regualtions, so it's not like she wasn't aware of what goes on with offshore drilling, oil companies, and the urgency of keeping that oil contained.

Tonight, the narcissist in chief will use this tragedy for political manuevering to push for cap & trade, which does NOTHING to protect the environment. I'm sure he'll fail to mention that BP and Enron are the original AUTHORS of cap & trade. Of course, "Brownie" knows that, too, with her history of working with Al Gore and the opportunistic fraudsters of industry and banking.

Never in my life have I wanted to see a group of people behind bars more than now. I'd pay to see them all in front of a firing sqaud along with BushCo. These worthless, corrupt, leeches on the taxpayers are a threat to life on earth and should be dealt with accordingly, along with their buddies, the captains of industry.

georgiaboy
06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Of course these local communities should be taking these matters into their own hands. Get together, figure out what needs to be done, take up a collection, and get moving.

I can't imagine why was anyone down there waiting for the feds anyway. If it were me, I'd tell the feds to either stay away or do as we tell them when they arrived into town, not the other way around.

Be Americans, for goodness' sake.