PDA

View Full Version : 66% of voters are angry at Media; 68% think media tries to help its favored candidate

sailingaway
06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_barack_obama_42_ron_paul_41

"Sixty-six percent (66%) of U.S. voters describe themselves as at least somewhat angry at the media, including 33% who are Very Angry.
A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 31% say they are not angry at the media, but that includes just nine percent (9%) who say they are not at all angry....

Sixty-eight percent (68%) say most reporters when covering a political campaign try to help the candidate they want to win. This finding is unchanged from June 2008 when the last presidential cycle was in full swing. Twenty-three percent (23%) now say most reporters try to offer unbiased coverage of a campaign.
Fifty-four percent (54%) of voters think most reporters would hide any information they uncovered that might hurt a candidate they wanted to win, up seven points from November 2008. Twenty-eight percent (28%) say most reporters would not hide damaging information to help the candidate they preferred. Eighteen percent (18%) are not sure.

Fifty-one percent (51%) say the average reporter is more liberal than they are, consistent with earlier findings on the question. Fifteen percent (15%) say the average reporter is more conservative than they are, while 27% say the average reporter shares roughly the same ideological views that they have.
Unhappiness with the media comes at a time when many government policies are unpopular with a majority of voters and two-thirds (67%) think the news media has too much influence over the actions of government. Sixty-two percent (62%) say what the media thinks is more important to the average member of Congress than what voters think.

Seventy percent (70%) of voters are angry at the current policies of the federal government.

Seventy-nine percent (79%) of Republicans and 68% of voters not affiliated with either major party are angry at the media. Democrats are more closely divided on the question.

Seventy-six percent (76%) of GOP voters and 56% of unaffiliateds think most reporters are trying to help Obama pass his agenda. Among Democrats, 33% say they are trying to block the president’s agenda, while 43% say their coverage is unbiased. Just 15% of Democrats say most reporters are trying to help the president.

The difference between the Political Class and Mainstream voters on this question is starker. Sixty percent (60%) of Mainstream voters say most reporters are trying to help the president pass his agenda. Fifty-seven percent (57%) of the Political Class believe most reporters are trying to block passage of Obama’s agenda.
But then while 62% of Mainstream voters feel that the average reporter is more liberal than they are, 69% of the Political Class say their ideological views are about the same as the average reporter’s.

Mainstream voters tend to think most reporters try to help the candidates they want to win. The Political Class disagrees.

Fifty-five percent (55%) of voters think media bias is a bigger problem in politics today than big campaign contributions...."

molly_pitcher
06-15-2010, 02:52 PM
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_barack_obama_42_ron_paul_41

Mainstream voters tend to think most reporters try to help the candidates they want to win. The Political Class disagrees.

I'm sure this has been answered, but what is the difference between "mainstream voters" and the "political class"?

low preference guy
06-15-2010, 02:55 PM
I guess this answers Fozz's question:

I don't know how Rand Paul can win if the local media is so one-sided and at the same time controls the political debate.

angelatc
06-15-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm sure this has been answered, but what is the difference between "mainstream voters" and the "political class"?

I think we're the political class. We vote in every election, we know the history and backgrounds of the candidates, and we make our choices based at least partially on input from outside the MSM.

Mainstream voters turn out in far bigger numbers in Presidential election years, and pull the levers for (R) or (D).

molly_pitcher
06-15-2010, 03:35 PM
I think we're the political class. We vote in every election, we know the history and backgrounds of the candidates, and we make our choices based at least partially on input from outside the MSM.

Oh, we're in a "class"? Hold up for a second while I take my nose out of the air...

I'm always suspicious of labels like this. Why aren't we simply "informed voters", "educated voters" or "knowledgeable voters" ? Is it not P.C.? Does calling us that injure an ego somewhere? I'm not deeply wounded by this, I just hate labels and this feels like a label.

Someone please make me feel better about this...

sailingaway
06-15-2010, 03:37 PM

Rasmussen has three questions they ask to see if you are mainstream or political class you can search there for political class to get it exactly but essentially they go to whether you think those in DC know better what is good for the US or whether you think the people do. Far more think the people do, they are 'mainstream'. Rasmussen used to call them/us 'populist' but for a variety of reasons going to what that terminology usually means and what was turning up in the polls, they changed it to 'mainstream'. It is actually very interesting to search 'political class' there and see the vast disparity between what mainstream voters think and what the political class thinks.

molly_pitcher
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Rasmussen has three questions they ask to see if you are mainstream or political class you can search there for political class to get it exactly but essentially they go to whether you think those in DC know better what is good for the US or whether you think the people do. Far more think the people do, they are 'mainstream'.

OK, so that makes us mainstream?
Don't know why, but I'm more comfortable there LOL!

BlackTerrel
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
What I think would be interesting is how many Democrats think the media favors the Republicans and how many Republicans think the media favors the Democrats?

I think if you polled Lakers and Celtics fans 90% of them would think the refs have been biased towards the other team in this series.

sailingaway
06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
What I think would be interesting is how many Democrats think the media favors the Republicans and how many Republicans think the media favors the Democrats?

I think if you polled Lakers and Celtics fans 90% of them would think the refs have been biased towards the other team in this series.

They do that kind of breakdown often, maybe even in this poll if you click the link.

Roxi
06-15-2010, 10:33 PM
66% is not nearly high enough. I have said this over and over but I am going to say it again because it applies.

The way to really make a difference is to take down the MSM. I mean take them down. Focus all of our efforts on it, focus on all the lies, show regular people (you can start with Nancy Grace watchers please) the PROOF that they are being lied to, pick apart these people with a fine tooth comb and TAKE THEM DOWN. If we all tried as hard to do this as we did on the 08 campaign, we might actually get somewhere. But as long as the media controls what people think, we are digging a hole to china with a spoon.

Dr.3D
06-15-2010, 10:51 PM
66% of voters are angry at Media; 68% think media tries to help its favored candidate

Wow, I wonder how they found that out. We knew it back in the last election and I guess the rest are just now catching on.

MSNBC is playing one end of the field and Fox News is playing the other. Both of them want the public to vote for one of the "two" candidates and thus any third candidate wouldn't enter the picture.