PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Maddow blames BP oil spill on Libertarians.

haaaylee
06-15-2010, 10:06 AM
I didn't see it, and i don't see a youtube up yet. But Scott Horton of Anti-War just posted this on his Facebook:

"Rachel Maddow just blamed libertarians for the BP oil spill. You know, because libertarians always say that each company "policing itself" is all the accountability anyone would ever need."

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/antiwarradio

Elwar
06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I blame Rachel Maddow for interfering with the clean-up.

By having such short hair she was not able to get her long hair cut which could have been used in oil clean-up efforts.

JK/SEA
06-15-2010, 10:11 AM
She should use that big mouth of hers to suck up some of that oil.

roho76
06-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Maybe she should go down there and help clean it up instead of blaming everybody else. I'm pretty sure her car uses oil even if it's all electric.

ClayTrainor
06-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Aren't state regulations the main reason BP was drilling so needlessly deep in the first place?

Flash
06-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Aren't state regulations the main reason BP was drilling so needlessly deep in the first place?

I heard Penn Jilette say BP was restricted from drilling in the Arctic.

ravedown
06-15-2010, 10:24 AM
what an idiot...and how did the existing regulations and government agencies already in place prevent this spill again?

JeNNiF00F00
06-15-2010, 10:38 AM

hahaha id like to see that myself!

dean.engelhardt
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I didn't see it, and i don't see a youtube up yet. But Scott Horton of Anti-War just posted this on his Facebook:

"Rachel Maddow just blamed libertarians for the BP oil spill. You know, because libertarians always say that each company "policing itself" is all the accountability anyone would ever need."

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/antiwarradio

Dem. President, Dem. House of Representatives, Dem. Senate; of course it is the Libertarians fault!

Anti Federalist
06-15-2010, 10:42 AM

There are shallow water grounds off the west coast of Florida, the Great Lakes, California and the East Coast that all could have been producing oil and natural gas.

But all those areas are closed to drilling by federal mandate.

james1906
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM
I knew Harry Browne masterminded this oil spill from beyond the grave.

Elle
06-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Maddow is an idiot. Does it really matter what she thinks?

kahless
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I see MSNBC still not giving a shit about the gulf coast and playing the blame game rather than attack the administration that is intentionally doing nothing to increase the effects of the disaster.

Brian4Liberty
06-15-2010, 10:57 AM
There are shallow water grounds off the west coast of Florida, the Great Lakes, California and the East Coast that all could have been producing oil and natural gas.

But all those areas are closed to drilling by federal mandate.

Can't modern slant drilling reach most of that oil from land?

yokna7
06-15-2010, 10:59 AM
What libertarians? There is only one libertarian in congress Supercuts!

Anti Federalist
06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Can't modern slant drilling reach most of that oil from land?

No.

Slant drilling can punch into a formation from many different angles over an area of thousands of feet, but you can't slant drill to a location 100 miles away.

Brian4Liberty
06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
No.

Slant drilling can punch into a formation from many different angles over an area of thousands of feet, but you can't slant drill to a location 100 miles away.

Yeah, hundreds of miles is a long way. I am talking about near shore oil. Wasn't that one of the triggers for the first Iraq war (Saddam's invasion of Kuwait)? Wasn't some western oil company slant drilling into Iraq's oilfields from Kuwait?

Anti Federalist
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, hundreds of miles is a long way. I am talking about near shore oil. Wasn't that one of the triggers for the first Iraq war (Saddam's invasion of Kuwait)? Wasn't some western oil company slant drilling into Iraq's oilfields from Kuwait?

Most near shore oil fields have already been exploited.

The issue in Kuwait was right on the border IIRC.

John Taylor
06-15-2010, 11:25 AM

+1776. She's less of a "Hoover" and more of a licker from what I've heard.

Brian4Liberty
06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Any links on Maddow's original statement?

Vessol
06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
And all the regulations in place did WHAT to stop this again?

And now the U.S government is protecting BP's assets and bailing them out.

idirtify
06-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Maddow is an idiot. Does it really matter what she thinks?

I watched it, but my memory is lousy. I’m not sure that she was blaming libertarians as much as she was calling for more regulation and blaming the libertarian philosophy of unregulated industry. But it was in the form of a sneering told-you-so rant. She really showed her true colors, and there is no way she would have showed such passionate disdain for libertarianism with any of her previous libertarian-like guests in the studio.

But as infuriating as it was, it appears that what she thinks DOES matter; at least in terms of popular statist arguments we will be facing about the spill. So what is the best response to this type of attitude?
A: Gov regulations, that were already in place to prevent this type of thing, did not work (were not enforced because of corrupt collusion).
B: Gov regulations against drilling in safer/shallower areas are largely responsible for the harm related to deep sea drilling.
C: The free market is not to blame, but corporatism is.
D: It was simply an accident, and gov regulations are to blame for impeding the cleanup.
E: ______________
D: ______________

What’s your best candidate? Does anyone know RP’s position on this?

Brian4Liberty
06-15-2010, 12:38 PM
But it was in the form of a sneering told-you-so rant.

Isn't that how she and Olberman say everything? ;)

catdd
06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Well she's a dipshit to begin with, libertarians are not in any position to tell BP how to do anything, and they wouldn't listen to us if we did. The liberals must be getting afraid of libertarians because there have sure been a lot of attacks coming from them lately.

Fox McCloud
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
considering the government has banned shallow water drilling and there are zero property rights on the ocean, it's entirely logical to come to the conclusion something like this would happen.

Is BP responsible? Sure, in part, but the government has a huge portion of the blame for making stupid policy (banning shallow water drilling) and not allowing the market to work (not allowing ownership of the ocean).

mczerone
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Rachel Maddow extinguished the dinosaurs.

Epic
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Apparently Ron Paul was in charge of drilling policy.. cause there aren't any others libertarians in congress.

Xenophage
06-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Finally, our evil libertarian master plan has come to fruition! OIL SPILLS FOR EVERYONE!

silentshout
06-15-2010, 01:50 PM
And all the regulations in place did WHAT to stop this again?

And now the U.S government is protecting BP's assets and bailing them out.

This.

sluggo
06-15-2010, 01:51 PM
This Maddow guy is always saying something stupid.

HOLLYWOOD
06-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Well she's a dipshit to begin with, libertarians are not in any position to tell BP how to do anything, and they wouldn't listen to us if we did. The liberals must be getting afraid of libertarians because there have sure been a lot of attacks coming from them lately.

Just looking at NBC/MSNBC/CNBC... the mad house of propaganda and mindless rants by these well compensated hacks.

Anytime the media attacks a specific group is because they're a threat to their agenda, whether it be their own or the political regime that backs them.

Rachel Madcow is just that... she's losing and losing big

catdd
06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Just looking at NBC/MSNBC/CNBC... the mad house of propaganda and mindless rants by these well compensated hacks.

Anytime the media attacks a specific group is because they're a threat to their agenda, whether it be their own or the political regime that backs them.

Rachel Madcow is just that... she's losing and losing big

We are definitely in the "then they fight us" stage.

Depressed Liberator
06-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, because those regulations, they... Wait, there are no regulations, remember? None at all!

Theocrat
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Dem. President, Dem. House of Representatives, Dem. Senate; of course it is the Libertarians fault!

Who (or what) regulates the regulators? That is a question which I'm sure Rachel Maddow will never ask. She just takes it for granted that the federal government can do it better than anyone else, bar none. And when things go wrong, she'll hardly blame the establishment for it. They can do no harm...

HOLLYWOOD
06-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Yeah, because those regulations, they... Wait, there are no regulations, remember? None at all!

What does...

Chevron-Texaco
Royal Dutch Petroleum (SHELL)
Exxon-Mobile
Conoco-Phillips
BP-Amoco-ARCO

...have in common?

The same consulting company wrote all 5 oil spill-disaster recovery plans and 4 of them had the identical text.

None of them are prepared in the proper manner for swift suppression of oil leaks/disasters... none of them.

MMS is swift at collecting royalties for the US government, but never certified the contingency disaster plans.