PDA

View Full Version : APES: Active-Passive Energy Syndrom

rancher89
06-14-2010, 09:59 PM
By Marilyn M. Barnewall
June 13, 2010
NewsWithViews.com

I’m going to share APES with you.

No swinging through the trees or grunting or scratching hairy chests (or anything else) is required. APES does not live in a jungle or a zoo. It’s a Syndrome. I got to name it because I discovered it in the 1980s: The Active Passive Energy Syndrome (APES).

While a banker and later a bank consultant, I for 20-years researched what was supposed to be a banking topic (and it was) and found answers to many of life’s questions that don’t involve business and finance. APES is both complex and difficult. Its greatest danger lies in what appears to be its common sense simplicity. Because of its subtle complexity, people think they “get” it far sooner than is possible. At various stages along the research path, I thought I got it, too – only to find the path led much further than I realized.

It will take over a page of definitions to make it possible for readers to follow research results. It’s one reason I don’t discuss APES in articles. I encourage you to read on because APES explains why your country is being torn asunder. Actually, the explanation is quite simple – once you understand the terminology that emerged from 20 years of data.

The terms “Active Investor” and “Passive Investor” came from this research (so does another term I coined, “upscale”). The original research design was to determine what motivates affluent, successful people to make investment decisions. It achieved that – but don’t stop reading because you’re not a major investor. All human beings are investors… in life. That’s what APES discovered.

The research proved that all human investments are motivated by two basic human needs, regardless of socio-economic status. The word “investor,” the data told me, refers to financial investments, but the same motivators also influence buying a pound of bacon – or, spending time, energy or money on any endeavor. Whenever time, energy or money is spent, it’s an investment – marriage, children, career, study, currency, stocks and bonds – political views – are all investments. Thus, all people invest.

This “project” taught me the importance of definitional clarity of words – and the dangers of no clarity. Those who are regular readers know I’ve written about this important subject. I’ve also written about the importance of identifying the difference between issues and problems. Now you know why. Both are valuable lessons I learned from this long-term endeavor.

How easily we are misled when we do not have a firm understanding of the words we (and others) use! How easily we are diverted from real problem solving when we allow our thoughts to be absorbed by issues. Issues can’t be solved. Problems can. Americans are focused on issues, not problems. It’s why I decided to talk about APES.

As an aside, the research results were published by the American Bankers Association and sold to American bankers for $5,000 per copy. Lafferty Publications (London/Dublin) then contracted with me to sell the book worldwide. The research has never been challenged and the programs implemented using it were and are successful.

We need a quick definition of “wealth.” Wealth, for the purposes of this study, has little to do with money and everything to do with character. Money may make wealth more fun, but wealth, as referred to herein, is character. Please understand that these definitions didn’t come from me, but from the research. I resisted but they kept hitting me over the head until I understood what was being said.

----snip---

read the article here

http://www.newswithviews.com/Barnewall/marilyn139.htm

I found it very interesting.