PDA

View Full Version : Rand on constant defense

Kevin_Kennedy
06-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Is it just me or is Rand constantly playing defense ever since the general election began? When Grayson made claims about Rand the campaign was quick to address and turn them around on Grayson, and constantly made Grayson look like a fool. But ever since the general election began Conway has been able to say whatever he wants about Rand and it blows up in Rand's face. It seems to me that everything said about Rand now sticks, but nothing we bring up about Conway, such as his BP connection, gets picked up.

MRoCkEd
06-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah, we're dealing with the "liberal media." Rand's campaign has issued retorts and press releases of its own challenging Conway on the issues, but they won't get picked up by the Kentucky newspapers which... endorsed Conway.

Kevin_Kennedy
06-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah, we're dealing with the "liberal media." Rand's campaign has issued retorts and press releases of its own challenging Conway on the issues, but they won't get picked up by the Kentucky newspapers which... endorsed Conway.

Well I think it's pretty clear that the newspapers were for Rand during the primary because they thought he'd be easier than Grayson.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-14-2010, 05:30 PM
The Courier-Journal has already scrutinized Paul more between May 19th and today than they will Conway throughout the entire election.

Remember who they endorsed in the primary: Conway.

So Rand Paul has to win against a paper that can basically single-handily drive the debate. That is going to be hard. Hopefully Paul wins in November and the Courier-Journal, like so many other newspapers these days, subsequently goes belly-up during Paul's first Senate term. :D

Fozz
06-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I don't know how Rand Paul can win if the local media is so one-sided and at the same time controls the political debate.

Kotin
06-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't know how Rand Paul can win if the local media is so one-sided and at the same time controls the political debate.

You're kidding right?

MRoCkEd
06-14-2010, 07:28 PM

http://mamadance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/debbie_downer1.jpg

Trigonx
06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
http://mamadance.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/debbie_downer1.jpg

or Negative Nancy.

sailingaway
06-14-2010, 08:07 PM
The campaign is getting used to the echo of the national liberal media and the DNC echoing and expanding every slur long after the facts have been corrected.

What he needs to do is get out some ads on the issues and on CONWAY's views. It isn't Rand who is radical, for Kentucky, it is EPA stoking, amnesty loving, Daily Kos endorsed Conway.

Chieftain1776
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Seriously Fozz if I didn't see your post history I'd think you were here just to dampen our enthusiasm. Even with the post history a dedicated liberal troll might-- just might-- be able to pull it off.....

Moving on...you need some perspective. Here's what I said in another thread. I think it's objective and not simply wishful thinking which is what you think you're combating (unless you are indeed an gifted liberal troll). Please consider this before yet another "we are doomed" post:

Rand should respond to television/radio attack ads only like he did with Trey. Remember the Courier-Journal openly endorsed Conway in a Democratic primary where they actually matter and Conway only won by a single point. Conway had tons more money than Mongiardo and the national party behind him and still almost came up short.

If it wasn't for the fake robocalls i.e. ("Mongiardo says Cap & Trade is a good idea in front of environmentalists") and a little bit tighter of an operation by Mongiardo or just plain better luck then Conway would have been defeated in the primary by the Blue Dog Democrat.

To summarize: Money + Media + National Democratic Party+Courier-Journal and Lexington Herald leader = drumroll . . . . . 1 point in a Democratic primary.

dude58677
06-14-2010, 10:12 PM

That is why we have Sean Hannity. He was interviewing Sharron Angle and said that the liberals are doing the same thing to you that they do to Rand Paul in Kentucky. Sharron Angle said that the liberals do not care about America.

devil21
06-14-2010, 10:46 PM
It's probably a good thing for them to throw everything but the kitchen sink at Rand now. Get it out of the way early! They'll basically run out of ammo long before the time to vote has approached and that's when Rand can shine and go on the offensive. Conway is in Grayson's shoes in that he has nothing to offer except more of the same bullshit policies that have gotten us into all this mess in the first place. Conway can only attack. He'll run out of stuff quickly, particularly since Rand isn't a career politician with oodles of record to sift through. The fact that they're now attacking his professional credentials (low blow by anyone's standards, even in politics) just shows they're already running out of stuff.

Besides, who knows what stuff Obama will pull between now and November that Rand can capitalize on later in the campaign. There's a lot of campaign left and Rand is still outraising and outpolling Conway so as long as he keeps standing tall during these early (and desperate) attacks, he will have much more smooth sailing later when the votes are really being fought for.

Btw, I concur that Fozz is a troll. He reminds me of Agorism. Nothing positive to say about anything Ron and Rand Paul related.

low preference guy
06-15-2010, 03:33 AM

I don't know how you can be such an idiot.

anaconda
06-15-2010, 03:52 AM
The campaign is getting used to the echo of the national liberal media and the DNC echoing and expanding every slur long after the facts have been corrected.

What he needs to do is get out some ads on the issues and on CONWAY's views. It isn't Rand who is radical, for Kentucky, it is EPA stoking, amnesty loving, Daily Kos endorsed Conway.

So we best get him a lot of money soon.

economics102
06-15-2010, 05:15 AM
What you're not seeing is that while the media is busy making him look like a monster, Rand is out and about Kentucky actually meeting voters and speaking to crowds. When you meet someone and they seem perfectly reasonable and someone else (the media) tells you he's a crazy extremist, it tends to solidify your view as to who is trustworthy and who is not.

Rand Paul has FIVE whole months between now and November. Rand took advantage of the national media when they were friendly. Now that their only interest is in smearing him, he's basically saying "sling all the mud you want, I'm gonna go talk to voters and media who are willing to give me a fair shake and you can keep on having a one-way conversation screaming into your fancy little echo chamber here."

Rand is not on constant defense. He's under constant attack. Slightly different things. He is off in the west burning down their forts while they are in the east ransacking his villages.

Make no mistake, this general election is going to be brutal. But we have a different battlefield and so need a different strategy. Let Conway be the guy who the public sees talking smack about his opponent on the liberal media. It'll just make him look slimy.

We're not going to get carried to victory on the backs of the media. We're going to win this thing through brute force. The reason Rand Paul is trading at 65% on intrade is that the consensus is that Rand Paul has one hell of a left hook.

sailingaway
06-15-2010, 07:19 AM
So we best get him a lot of money soon.

The money bomb on June 28 is a good time for that. I hope those who are on the fence because he is getting establishment fundraisers (although that was clearly a reason he always was careful to keep a working relationship open w/ McConnell) will understand that if we DON'T get him the money he needs it would make him more dependent on those insiders. If we want him independent we need to give him a real chance to stay so.

specsaregood
06-15-2010, 07:30 AM
What you're not seeing is that while the media is busy making him look like a monster, Rand is out and about Kentucky actually meeting voters and speaking to crowds.
Where is your evidence of that? I haven't seen it and I haven't seen any events on the event calendar since the "unity rally".
http://www.randpaul2010.com/events/?month=jun&yr=2010

low preference guy
06-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Where is your evidence of that? I haven't seen it and I haven't seen any events on the event calendar since the "unity rally".
http://www.randpaul2010.com/events/?month=jun&yr=2010

from the news, he went to a gun show and a republican leadership meeting last weekend.

specsaregood
06-15-2010, 07:43 AM
from the news, he went to a gun show and a republican leadership meeting last weekend.

Good to hear, seeing the empty events page had me a bit worried. He won the nomination by being out there all the time, he can't take the foot off the pedal now.

sailingaway
06-15-2010, 07:44 AM

There was also an article about how a local GOP chair who had been on Grayson's side was driving him to 12 local meetings in a particular day, with local GOP leadership.

low preference guy
06-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Jun 12, 2010

"I'm a proud defender of the Second Amendment," he told a group around him at the Great Eastern National Gun Day Show and JAG Military Show at the Kentucky Exposition Center.

[...]

At the gun show, he was treated like a pop culture icon as people rushed to him following his speech to ask for his autograph and wish him well.

Lewis Drape, of Murray, told him, "I know you have taken a beating from some of these folks, but hang tough," he said.

Ron Dickson, the promoter of the gun show, predicted that gun owners would push Paul to victory over Democratic Attorney General Jack Conway in the fall.

"Remember, the gun people are going to put you over the top," Dickson said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100612/NEWS01/6120335/Rand-Paul-promises-to-be-vigilant-protector-of-gun-rights

specsaregood
06-15-2010, 07:54 AM
There was also an article about how a local GOP chair who had been on Grayson's side was driving him to 12 local meetings in a particular day, with local GOP leadership.

So he is pretty much flying under the radar of the national news and hitting the KY voters in bulk, but in secret. ninjalike....

specsaregood
06-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Jun 12, 2010
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100612/NEWS01/6120335/Rand-Paul-promises-to-be-vigilant-protector-of-gun-rights

wow, 177 comments on that article. I wonder if that is a record for the CJ.

RyanRSheets
06-15-2010, 08:05 AM
The last time a Democrat won a U.S. Senate seat in Kentucky was 1992, a Democratic year. All signs point to it being a Republican year, or more specifically a Tea Party year. Rand is very popular with the Tea Party crowd, rockstar status. All you Debbie D's saying Rand Paul can't win because the local press is too Liberal need to realize that the press has failed the last 6 consecutive times.

specsaregood
06-15-2010, 08:24 AM
The last time a Democrat won a U.S. Senate seat in Kentucky was 1992,

Its really not much of a point. Incumbents have a reelection rate of 96%. '92 was just the last time there was a dem. incumbent.

a Democratic year.

No it wasn't. '92 was neutral, if anything it was a republican year for the congress.
The split in the senate didn't change (57dem 43rep) But the republicans picked up an additional 12 seats in the house. 164 to 176.
I guess you could argue it was a democrat year because of clinton, but clinton wouldn't have won if not for Perot.

All signs point to it being a Republican year, or more specifically a Tea Party year. Rand is very popular with the Tea Party crowd, rockstar status. All you Debbie D's saying Rand Paul can't win because the local press is too Liberal need to realize that the press has failed the last 6 consecutive times.
No disagreement there.

low preference guy
06-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Perhaps as a result, the poll finds an astonishing two-thirds of the public (66%) say they are angry with the media, “including 33% who are very angry” with the press.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/#ixzz0qx0q6X9G

rich34
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
You'd think with Mitch behind Rand now that he'd be able to help out a llittle with the liberal newspapers in Kentucky. Either way I think we'll be fine so long as we can get Rand the money to compete. And like I said in another post, the campaign needs to seriously consider paying someone like Avaroth to do some web videos to help promote these moneybombs even if it means spending a little bit to do so. I just think people respond much better and the word gets out much farther with videos they can watch online. Someone needs to pass this onto the campaign for the next scheduled moneybomb, or one of us needs to step up. I'm no video/web guy or I'd help, but I'd be glad to put down a little bit of dough to pay someone to do it though if it looks good enough. Just think of Avaroth's, they were GREAT!

sailingaway
06-15-2010, 10:41 PM
You'd think with Mitch behind Rand now that he'd be able to help out a llittle with the liberal newspapers in Kentucky. Either way I think we'll be fine so long as we can get Rand the money to compete. And like I said in another post, the campaign needs to seriously consider paying someone like Avaroth to do some web videos to help promote these moneybombs even if it means spending a little bit to do so. I just think people respond much better and the word gets out much farther with videos they can watch online. Someone needs to pass this onto the campaign for the next scheduled moneybomb, or one of us needs to step up. I'm no video/web guy or I'd help, but I'd be glad to put down a little bit of dough to pay someone to do it though if it looks good enough. Just think of Avaroth's, they were GREAT!

Avaroth's were great, but they were inspired. He doesn't seem inspired in this campaign, don't know why, but there it is.