PDA

View Full Version : U.S. has discovered huge untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-13-2010, 11:49 PM
U.S. Discovers $1T in Afghan Mineral Deposits

Published June 14, 2010

| FOXNews.com

The U.S. has discovered about $1 trillion worth of untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, including critical industrial metals such as lithium, a senior military official close to Gen. Stanley McChrystal told Fox News on Monday.

The previously unknown deposits of iron, copper, cobalt and gold are so large that it could transform the impoverished nation into one of the world's important mining centers, The New York Times first reported late Sunday on its web site.

The mineral wealth, discovered by a team of Pentagon officials and U.S. geologists, is scattered throughout the country including in the south and east along the border with Pakistan, where the Taliban-led insurgency is the most intense.

"There is stunning potential here," the newspaper quoted General David Petraeus, commander of the U.S. Central Command, as saying in an interview over the weekend. "There are lots of ifs, of course, but I think potentially it is hugely significant."

An internal Pentagon memo said Afghanistan could become the "Saudi Arabia of lithium," the Times said. Lithium is a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and other electronics such as mobile telephones.

Afghanistan does not have any mining industry or infrastructure, so it will take decades for the country to exploit its mineral wealth fully, the paper quoted U.S. officials as saying.

The report about the country's untapped wealth is likely to intensify competition among regional players such as China, India and even Russia for a greater role in exploiting those resources.

Two Chinese firms have committed themselves to a $4 billion investment in the vast Aynak copper mine, south of Kabul, the biggest non-military foreign investment so far in the country.

Another big contract to mine an estimated 1.8 billion tons of high-quality iron ore in the remote mountainous region of Hajigak is expected to open for international bidding this year.

Firms from India and China are eyeing the contract, which the Afghan mines ministry says is the largest unmined iron deposit in Asia.

According to the U.S. study, the biggest deposits discovered so far are of iron and copper and the quantities are large enough to make Afghanistan a major world producer.

Other finds include large deposits of niobium, a soft metal used in producing superconducting steel, rare earth elements and large gold deposits in Pashtun areas of southern Afghanistan.

Reuters contributed to this report.

Is this why we are over there?

BenIsForRon
06-14-2010, 12:09 AM
We need to split the place up into regional republics, and allow the Afghani people to decide what to do with the minerals.

Instead, you're going to see US and NATO hand them over to their home corporations, and create even more hatred in the middle east.

Is this why we are over there?

Not that I'm aware of. Afghanistan, without the minerals, is just a good strategic location, especially if you plan on invading Iran later. Many pipelines also go through the country.

So yeah, I always thought it was a combination of geopolitical strategy, and controlling oil lines (the two are completely intertwined, of course).

devil21
06-14-2010, 02:09 AM
LOL as if they didn't know already that there were plenty of natural resources waiting to be tapped in Afghanistan.

rawful
06-14-2010, 03:02 AM

raiha
06-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Such is the nature of all Empires. Veni Vidi Vici!
I wonder how much of the loot the average Afghani in rags in the street will see?

krazy kaju
06-14-2010, 04:20 AM
You know what, the government already spends so much money on BS so why don't they spend a lot of money to develop infrastructure in this area and allow the mining to take off? At least then jobs could be created, the country slowly modernized, and we could leave.

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-14-2010, 04:30 AM
I don't know what the Afgan people are thinking. They should just petition to become a state in the Union. I hear the welfare, farm, and mineral subsidies are great. State and local governments can implement their own opprossive tax and regulation schemes to stay in power. The sky is the limit on corruption. Truly the grass would be greener as a state.

paulim
06-14-2010, 04:38 AM
A new stage of looting. It will be fun to watch who will get the contracts. All in the best interest of the afghani people.

MRK
06-14-2010, 04:41 AM
I don't know what the Afgan people are thinking. They should just petition to become a state in the Union. I hear the welfare, farm, and mineral subsidies are great. State and local governments can implement their own opprossive tax and regulation schemes to stay in power. The sky is the limit on corruption. Truly the grass would be greener as a state.

Every cartel gets its own piece of the pie. :p :rolleyes:

MN Patriot
06-14-2010, 05:27 AM
You know what, the government already spends so much money on BS so why don't they spend a lot of money to develop infrastructure in this area and allow the mining to take off? At least then jobs could be created, the country slowly modernized, and we could leave.

That is assuming they share the same western values as us. Why should our government develop their country? Their world view is much different than ours.

Poor, primitive cultures are easy to exploit, so watch as we occupy their country for the next 50 years. Kind of ironic for them, though. They harbor terrorists who attack us, we come over there and exploit their resources for decades to come. If they had minded their own business and been smart about their own resources, they could have culturally caught up with the rest of the world. Assuming they share the same western values as us.