PDA

View Full Version : A summary of the NYC rally

Prez4TheNet
10-13-2007, 02:06 PM
It was amazingly spontaneous. First, we stood outside Ron Paul's hotel and saw him eating breakfast, being interviewed, and waving to us for about 2 hours. He then came out to greet his supporters and sign autographs. Then he did the most astounding thing... he lead us into NYC's grandcentral terminal and we went in shouting and screaming "RON PAUL". He went up the stairs of the main terminal which is positioned at the centre of the HUGE station, and we started chanting "SPEECH!". He said a few words about bringing our troops home and thanking us all the while the commuters looking on were shellshocked by the whole ordeal.

Ron Paul wave us goodbye and we say we are going to Times Square. About 40-50 of us walk to Times Square chanting and waving our signs... take a few rounds around the block, and then we were like "Lets goto Central Park and call it a day". We walk to central park and we see street performers who give us an impromptu Ron Paul beat and chant, then we walk around the park a few times.

So we finish Central Park, and now we are like WHAT ELSE? So we say.. ok Columbus Circle and thats it. We rush into columbus circle and pose around the statues and then we notice a street fair on 8th avenue. So what do we do, we head straight for the huge 6 block fair and at every intersection we pause and do a.. "GIVE ME A R.. GIVE ME AN O .etc etc....... RON PAUL!!!" all the while handing out literature... I Went through 3 bundles and I was sort of pissed that I didn't bring more because I honestly thought we weren't going to do campaigning. In fact, most people were out of literature :(.

Well anyhow, we reach the end of the street fair and dispersed.

A few incidents along the way:

1. We intended to go through Rockfeller center but the rent-a-cop says no. A few of us ask, "Is it private property" and he says yes... but a few overenthusiastic people walk right by and he proceeds to call for backup on his walkie-talkie. But we manage to pull everyone back telling them to respect private property and then proceed.

We also went by St. Patrick's Cathedral and since we had a long line, we didn't realize that they were having a prayer service while we were chanting, "RESPECT FOR LIFE... RON PAUL!". As soon as we realized we stopped chanting but some people were visibly upset :(.

Amazingly spontaneous experience, it was one thing after the other, totally non-planned and NO OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN members... it was just us the people!

I leave you with this quote:

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

Ladies and gentlemen, we truely set NYC's minds ablaze today. Thank you for your tremendous effort.

Pedro TT
10-13-2007, 02:09 PM
Truly amazing.....great writeup!

terlinguatx
10-13-2007, 02:11 PM

ACJohn
10-13-2007, 02:12 PM
we stood outside Ron Paul's hotel and saw him eating breakfast, being interviewed, and waving to us for about 2 hours.

he waved for 2 hours his arm must be tired. J/K Thanks for the report

Prez4TheNet
10-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Great work! Hearing stuff like this really excites me, and moves us closer and closer to getting the nomination.

I believe we should have done this sooner because the registration deadline for switching to republican was yesterday.

KewlRonduderules
10-13-2007, 02:14 PM
That was pretty accurate description. I think most saw we were not aware that there was a prayer service initially. I mean for a good time while we were passing through, we were very quiet.

I am surprised you ran out of slim jims. I had a whole bunch and gave it to one of the meet up members at Columbus Circle. That is when I left. The Mrs. was expecting me to be home at 4PM. Sorry I could not stay longer. :o

terlinguatx
10-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Prez4TheNet
10-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Also I would've paid for a last minute flight from Texas just to have seen this :)

It was absolutely classic and he looked, dare I say, Presidential. Absolutely classic move, perhaps the most memorable I'll ever have of him.

Trassin
10-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Awesome! Great job guys!

KewlRonduderules
10-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Grand Central was pretty loud. I have never heard it so loud. It was kinda like a big concert.

And when he talked about Ending the War- everybody went nuts!!! And the cameras and press were clicking away!

Nefertiti
10-13-2007, 02:20 PM
oops posted in the wrong place.

Buzz
10-13-2007, 02:23 PM
There were a lot more than 40-50 of us by the time we got to Times Square... it was a little closer to that number by the end of the street fair. We had a thick, block-long line of people. But yeah, the Grand Central thing was surreal.

Perry
10-13-2007, 02:31 PM
It was amazingly spontaneous. First, we stood outside Ron Paul's hotel and saw him eating breakfast, being interviewed, and waving to us for about 2 hours. He then came out to greet his supporters and sign autographs. Then he did the most astounding thing... he lead us into NYC's grandcentral terminal and we went in shouting and screaming "RON PAUL". He went up the stairs of the main terminal which is positioned at the centre of the HUGE station, and we started chanting "SPEECH!". He said a few words about bringing our troops home and thanking us all the while the commuters looking on were shellshocked by the whole ordeal.

Ron Paul wave us goodbye and we say we are going to Times Square. About 40-50 of us walk to Times Square chanting and waving our signs... take a few rounds around the block, and then we were like "Lets goto Central Park and call it a day". We walk to central park and we see street performers who give us an impromptu Ron Paul beat and chant, then we walk around the park a few times.

So we finish Central Park, and now we are like WHAT ELSE? So we say.. ok Columbus Circle and thats it. We rush into columbus circle and pose around the statues and then we notice a street fair on 8th avenue. So what do we do, we head straight for the huge 6 block fair and at every intersection we pause and do a.. "GIVE ME A R.. GIVE ME AN O .etc etc....... RON PAUL!!!" all the while handing out literature... I Went through 3 bundles and I was sort of pissed that I didn't bring more because I honestly thought we weren't going to do campaigning. In fact, most people were out of literature :(.

Well anyhow, we reach the end of the street fair and dispersed.

A few incidents along the way:

1. We intended to go through Rockfeller center but the rent-a-cop says no. A few of us ask, "Is it private property" and he says yes... but a few overenthusiastic people walk right by and he proceeds to call for backup on his walkie-talkie. But we manage to pull everyone back telling them to respect private property and then proceed.

We also went by St. Patrick's Cathedral and since we had a long line, we didn't realize that they were having a prayer service while we were chanting, "RESPECT FOR LIFE... RON PAUL!". As soon as we realized we stopped chanting but some people were visibly upset :(.

Amazingly spontaneous experience, it was one thing after the other, totally non-planned and NO OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN members... it was just us the people!

I leave you with this quote:

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

Ladies and gentlemen, we truely set NYC's minds ablaze today. Thank you for your tremendous effort.

Woohoo!:) :)

terlinguatx
10-13-2007, 02:39 PM

Buzz
10-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Was the media present at any of these events?

Yes, a reporter and cameraman came by us while we were across the street from the Hyatt and briefly interviewed at least one of us, then I saw the same reporter interviewing Paul in the Hyatt a few minutes later (we could see Paul through the big floor-to-ceiling windows of the restaurant the whole time). I don't know what station the reporter was with, though.

McDermit
10-13-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/
click on archives...look at 12:10pm today.

McDermit
10-13-2007, 02:51 PM
And what's with the 2 people in costume, holding up flags? Are they RP people, or something unrelated?

Prez4TheNet
10-13-2007, 03:41 PM
YaY!WE MADE IT ON CNN!

rpfreedom08
10-13-2007, 03:51 PM
you tube!!!!!

GML3G
10-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I'll have Ron Paul's speech at Grand Central Terminal up in a few minutes on YouTube. It's 90MB...

V4Vendetta
10-13-2007, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrodd0NocEE

Buzz
10-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Here's one of us in Grand Central posted on the meetup board

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPldT3zeiYs

fiddler1
10-13-2007, 04:21 PM
They really rocked that place.. Good job!

GML3G
10-13-2007, 04:31 PM
From a different angle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQPqbwoNQzs

Give me a few more minutes for a clip from the street fair on 8th avenue.

EDIT: Ugh... every time I try uploading it, it fails during the processing. Sorry...

Spike
10-13-2007, 04:35 PM
that is EPIC!

terlinguatx
10-13-2007, 05:20 PM

margomaps
10-13-2007, 05:54 PM

Wow, thanks for the report -- that's awesome!

As for the part I quoted above, I suggest 1 or more of the Ron Paul supporters there send a letter to St. Patrick's apologizing. Do NOT make it political. Just say that you were part of the group supporting Ron Paul, and didn't realize there was a service going on at the time of the rally. Apologize tactfully, and leave it at that.

Prez4TheNet
10-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Wow, thanks for the report -- that's awesome!

As for the part I quoted above, I suggest 1 or more of the Ron Paul supporters there send a letter to St. Patrick's apologizing. Do NOT make it political. Just say that you were part of the group supporting Ron Paul, and didn't realize there was a service going on at the time of the rally. Apologize tactfully, and leave it at that.

Great Idea... consider it done!

werdd
10-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Here's one of us in Grand Central posted on the meetup board

That was a great video!

0zzy
10-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Omg NYC did great!

Drknows
10-13-2007, 06:13 PM
This video kicked so much ass

alexlcameron
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Great job! The message is spreading! One day books will be written about this campaign

Margo37
10-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Sensational, and what a setting!