PDA

View Full Version : California Could See Over $1.4 Billion Revenue Spike From Tax Cannabis Act

Matt Collins
06-12-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2010/06/california-could-see-over-14-billion.html

I don't like the idea of taxing it.

Travlyr
06-12-2010, 01:27 PM
http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2010/06/california-could-see-over-14-billion.html

I don't like the idea of taxing it.

I don't either.

MelissaWV
06-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't either... and something often missed in these predictions is what happens to the oodles of cops whose sole purpose in life seems to be to arrest pot smokers/growers? Will they get absorbed into the IRS, too? (Hunting down people not paying their pot taxes, etc.) The prison population would certainly reduce over time. I wonder if those who are in prison for pot-related offenses could now negotiate their sentence to a fine (equivalent to the taxes they would have owed)?

Fredom101
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Calling taxes "revenue" is an insult to business people everywhere. It's not revenue if it's stolen. I'm all for legalizing all drugs but why must we give bureaucrats a cut of it? They will squander it just like they squander all the money they steal from hard working people.

johnrocks
06-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Face reality, if it gets legalized or if it is legal.....it's going to be taxed.

Golding
06-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Isn't it sad that the people of this nation have to resort to appealing to the government's self-interests in making the right decision?

Don't you want higher revenue? Legalize a harmless substance and gouge us for using it.

muh_roads
06-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Face reality, if it gets legalized or if it is legal.....it's going to be taxed.

Yep. Legal with tax is still a million times better than continuing the drug war.

johnrocks
06-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Yep. Legal with tax is still a million times better than continuing the drug war.

Sure is and government taxes everything, it's not going to exempt pot which is it's biggest cash crop.

MelissaWV
06-12-2010, 02:37 PM

End the Drug War... start the Tax War.

It'll be a war of forcing people to pay taxes on this, coupled with all the new IRS powers and tax-related laws to enforce. I think we are seriously moving away from the mandated programs and PSAs and cliche language on drugs, but moving towards a new campaign pushing taxation and how "patriotic" it is to contribute. Those who don't want to pay their taxes will be called all sorts of awful things, hunted down, etc..

Maybe it's a melodramatic thought. I hope so.

Kotin
06-12-2010, 02:48 PM

It'll be a war of forcing people to pay taxes on this, coupled with all the new IRS powers and tax-related laws to enforce. I think we are seriously moving away from the mandated programs and PSAs and cliche language on drugs, but moving towards a new campaign pushing taxation and how "patriotic" it is to contribute. Those who don't want to pay their taxes will be called all sorts of awful things, hunted down, etc..

sounds about right to me.. we have been moving in that direction for quite some time now.. and this would only serve to fuel that fire.. trading some bullshit for some other bullshit is what government does best..

nateerb
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I am guessing most of the weed will remain in the black-market and their "revenue" projections will fall very short.

RonPaulFanInGA
06-12-2010, 04:00 PM
They sin tax tabacco and alcohol to death already. What else is new?

silentshout
06-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Baby steps, imo. It's more expensive to put pot smokers in cages than it is to tax it.

teamrican1
06-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah, unless California is willing to talk interposition and secession, they aren't going to collect a dime on this scheme. Nobody is going to pay taxes if it means creating a paper trail that gives the Feds a slam dunk case for putting you a cage for the rest of your life on distribution charges.

libertybrewcity
06-12-2010, 04:55 PM
the only way they could make it legal is by calling it the tax cannabis act. I assume essential voters in california would have a problem with it if it was completely legal and tax free, so they needed to do something in order to gain popularity with the 'maybe' and no voters.

I am interested in seeing the first poll come out about this poll and what kind of anti-cannabis advocates will say in order to sway people to vote no.

here is poll you can vote on online. http://www.californiapropositions.org/node/304

Also, I don't know if anyone remembers Prop 66 in 2004. It was going to amend the three strikes law and polls showed it passing with flying colors. A few weeks before the election Arnold and some others launched ad campaigns saying it would release 26,000 dangerous criminals onto the streets and it ended up failing. The ads were complete lies. Check it out here: YouTube - California crime ads 2004 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdaUZtLRYL4&feature=PlayList&p=0AFBFB2A905FB17F&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=28)

libertybrewcity
06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
I am guessing most of the weed will remain in the black-market and their "revenue" projections will fall very short.

this is somewhat likely. i live in SF right now and have never bought weed from someone selling it for themselves (a drug dealer). i have a few friends with 'club cards' or medicinal cards.They went to the doctor, paid 300 bucks for the year and can go into any dispensary in the state and purchase an array of products. it is absolutely amazing what kinds of products you can buy. This dispensary has delivered to my campus many times and they have THC olive oil. Some have cafes and food bars, places to drop your kids off while you shop, and sections where you can buy clones. One hit of this weed will knock you on your butt.

Growing it indoors is another story and quite hard for many people. I don't see it taking too much of a cut out of the tax revenue at least for many years.

here is the website to the green cross:
http://www.thegreencross.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5

you have to scroll through the entire thing, i was blown away at first too :)

Meatwasp
06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Am I wrong? But making it legal will stop a lot of the Mexican cartels to fold. Plus it will be fine with me if everyone can plant it so they wouldn't all be trying to illegally raising it in the wilderness.

Meatwasp
06-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Oops I meant it would cause instead of stop a lot of Mexican cartels to fold.

Agorism
06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Well we don't want them having any more tax revenue for that's for sure.

benhaskins
06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
There is the possibility of people growing their own.

squarepusher
06-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't either... and something often missed in these predictions is what happens to the oodles of cops whose sole purpose in life seems to be to arrest pot smokers/growers? Will they get absorbed into the IRS, too? hopefully use time to "fight" other crime or solve murders.(Hunting down people not paying their pot taxes, etc.) The prison population would certainly reduce over time. I wonder if those who are in prison for pot-related offenses could now negotiate their sentence to a fine (equivalent to the taxes they would have owed)? unfortunately this bill does not allow for that. however the CCI did but fail to get on the ballot http://www.californiacannabisinitiative.org/

what will likely happen, is corporations will open huge multi (hundred?) acre farms and grow it in the open. They could yield massive amounts this way, even with taxing its likely prices would come way down.

am i for this? not sure, dont know if i will vote on this or not.

Matt Collins
06-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Not hjardley. The feds will claim commerce clause exemption..... See Wickard v Fillborne :mad:

Matt Collins
06-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Baby steps, imo. It's more expensive to put pot smokers in cages than it is to tax it.
How's that working out for the tobacco industry. Last time I checked taxes were rising there. :rolleyes:

Kludge
06-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Disagree.

This drug war hurts the Government more than anything else. There are four major benefits to the drug war:

Requires government waste money, collect more in taxes
Taxes + undue regulation = outraged public (good for libertarianism long-term)
Police will be tied up, prisons overflowing, further encouraging Chaos
Increased risk = increased profit margins :)

LibertyWorker
06-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Lots of people already do.

But also don't forget you could not brew your own alcohol until 1979..... it was about the only good thing Jimmy Carter did.LOL

House Bill 2348 officially legalized the home production of beer for personal use. Home production of wine and cider for personal use was already legal in Oklahoma. The passage of HB 2348 leaves Alabama and Mississippi as the only remaining states where the homebrewing hobby is not yet legal. The U.S. government made homebrewing legal on a federal level in 1979.

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-13-2010, 01:28 AM

You can bet on it. Everything behind the scenes has been leading to the global system of commerce and taxation.

In May 2009, the Committee on Fiscal Affairs decided to remove all three remaining jurisdictions (Andorra, the Principality of Liechtenstein and the Principality of Monaco) from the list of uncooperative tax havens in the light of their commitments to implement the OECD standards of transparency and effective exchange of information and the timetable they set for the implementation. As a result, no jurisdiction is currently listed as an unco-operative tax haven by the Committee on Fiscal Affairs.

http://www.oecd.org/document/57/0,3343,en_2649_33745_30578809_1_1_1_1,00.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FATF_Blacklist

http://www.fatf-gafi.org/dataoecd/14/11/39552632.pdf

nandnor
06-13-2010, 05:13 AM
tax is horrible.. it will be like beer & liqour in the scandinavian countries, 10€ for a bottle of beer?? No thanks.

Working Poor
06-13-2010, 06:06 AM
There is a lot of brainwashing to over come that much is obvious.

benhaskins
06-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Just sayin that the tax can be avoided if you want to make your own. Plus the time and effort involved in growing your own in relationship to what you yield can be alot better than alcohol.

teamrican1
06-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Am I wrong? But making it legal will stop a lot of the Mexican cartels to fold. Plus it will be fine with me if everyone can plant it so they wouldn't all be trying to illegally raising it in the wilderness.

Making it legal as in the US Government ending the drug war, yes. Once that happens, ADM or Phillip Morris or whoever moves in and, absent taxes no greater than cigarettes, would be able to sell a pack of 20 joints for $4 give or take in the low tax states. The cartels would die overnight and all the violence associated with the drug war vanishes.

But nobody is talking about that. So long as the Federal Government keeps up the Drug War, no legitimate business is able to enter the drug manufacturing or distribution business and the cartels will continue to run every facet of the industry.