PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's power in the House if the Republicans regain the majority

erowe1
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Ron Paul has a fair amount of seniority in the House now. He's in his 10th term, nonconsecutive, and his 7th consecutive. I believe that House seniority counts nonconsecutive years in the House (as in this list):
http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/110_seniority.pdf

That means Ron Paul has more years in Congress than any other Republican serving on the Financial services committee:
http://financialservices.house.gov/who.html

The list at that site for the Financial Services Committee looks like it's in order of seniority, which I think only counts years spent on the committee, not in Congress (and I don't know if it is consecutive or nonconsecutive). So there are a few ahead of Ron Paul among the Republicans there.

Ron Paul is already they ranking member of the subcommittee on Domestic Monetary Policy.
http://financialservices.house.gov/subassignments.html

The chair of that subcommittee is a Dem, of course, because they're the party in control. When the Republicans did have control and RP was in line to chair that subcommittee, Tom Delay pulled some stunt (which I've heard Barney Frank talk about, but I forget the details) that prevented him from chairing it. So the GOP might try that again in 2011. However, with the much increased influence and nationwide support RP now has beyond what he did before 2008, it would be much more difficult for them to pull that off. I'm betting that he will be the next chair of the Domestic Monetary Policy subcommittee, and will be a very influential member of the entire Financial Services Committee.

In fact, I don't know if it's possible, but could he actually be the next chair of the entire Financial Services Committee? I don't know how many years he's been on that committee versus how many years the other Republicans who supposedly have more seniority than he does. But he has more years in Congress than any of them. To get appointed to that role, he'd have to win an election by the Republicans in Congress, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong about that), in which obviously the odds would be against him. But with all of his supporters urging their Representatives to support him the way they did for the audit the Fed bill, who knows if it could happen. But even if it doesn't, he'll still likely be a chair of the Domestic Monetary Policy subcommittee and definitely be a very influential member of the whole committee.

specsaregood
06-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Tom Delay pulled some stunt (which I've heard Barney Frank talk about, but I forget the details) that prevented him from chairing it.
Yah, they eliminated the committee until there was a republican with higher seniority elected willing to chair it, then they recreated it.

You bring up an excellent point. And you are correct IIRC, they do count nonconsecutive years as part of seniority.

sailingaway
06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
They jumped over him for the conference committee on the Fed Empowerment Act, when the GOP was in power they disbanded the monetary c'ee until they could get someone more senior on it to chair it....

There is a real issue with being the only one who really won't bow to special interests. you are viewed as a turd in the punch bowl by your peers.

Whatever the people back home might think.

However, I think they ARE noticing Ron's attractiveness to independents, and MAY understand that keeping him from meaningful policy positions will be paid for in independent votes.

awake
06-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Both sides want him silenced, what power could he possibly gain?