PDA

View Full Version : Raft guide, saves girl on swift river, gets arrested.

Anti Federalist
06-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Raft guide arrested after helping stranded rafter on Clear Creek

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_15278256

Clear Creek sheriff's deputies on Thursday arrested a rafting guide for swimming to a stranded young rafter who had tumbled from his boat on Clear Creek.

Ryan Daniel Snodgrass, a 28-year-old guide with Arkansas Valley Adventures rafting company, was charged with "obstructing government operations," said Clear Creek Sheriff Don Krueger.

"He was told not to go in the water, and he jumped in and swam over to the victim and jeopardized the rescue operation," said Krueger, noting that his office was deciding whether to file similar charges against another guide who was at the scene just downstream of Kermitts Roadhouse on U.S. 6.

Duke Bradford, owner of Arkansas Valley Adventures, said Snodgrass did the right thing by contacting the 13-year-old Texas girl immediately and not waiting for the county's search and rescue team to assemble ropes, rafts and rescuers.

"When you have someone in sight who has taken a long swim, you need to make contact immediately," said Bradford, a 15-year rafting guide and ski patroller from Summit County. "This is just silly. Ryan Snodgrass acted entirely appropriately. These guys came to the scene late and there was a rescue in progress. They came in and took over an existing rescue. To leave a patient on the side of a river while you get your gear out of the car and set up a rescue system you read about in a book is simply not good policy."

Snodgrass' raft flipped on the runoff-swelled Clear Creek around noon Thursday and the girl swam from the raft. Krueger said the girl was missing for 30 to 45 minutes while Snodgrass searched for her. He said she swam a half mile from the spot where the raft capsized.

Since it had been so long, Krueger said, it was no longer the rafting company's rescue.

"They should involve themselves up to a point. They lost contact. Whether they want to say they were trying to rescue their customer, when they had lost visual contact and had no idea where their customer has been for 30 to 45 minutes, then it becomes our issue."

Bradford said he would expect his guides to do the same thing again. His guides are professionals, he said, trained and certified in swiftwater rescue.

"To jump into water and navigate a river in a swiftwater rescue is common. You get into the river and swim. You have to do it," Branford said. "The fact these guys don't understand that is disturbing. Making contact immediately with your victim is essential. It's not about who is in charge. It's about the safety of a 13-year-old girl. You are going to do everything in your power to insure the safety of your guest, and if that means in Idaho Springs you get arrested, well I guess we'll just get arrested.

Legend1104
06-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Dumb, da dumb dumb duummbb. (Reffering to the arrest)

Vessol
06-12-2010, 02:46 AM
How dare he jeopardize the well-planned and always successful government rescue operations.

Only the government is allowed to save people.

Kotin
06-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Really?? Wow...

GunnyFreedom
06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
This is so stupid it clouds my vision in red...

Stary Hickory
06-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Looks like a county Sheriff is going to get fired for his powertripping. I think that county could do a lot better than some egomaniac who is more concerned about control and authority than serving and protecting.

CasualApathy
06-12-2010, 06:03 AM
wow, that's just crazy.

olehounddog
06-12-2010, 06:06 AM
I worked in EMS, Fire Dept, and Rescue Squad for about 15 yrs. The guides stepped on the heroes toes. They took their glory and front page headline. Getback getback getback we are the the heroes and we will save the day. Typical.

Fozz
06-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Horrible. These "government is good" liberal types will NEED to explain this.

phill4paul
06-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Oh for the love of....this is just going beyond unreasonable. The guide was a trained swift water rescuer. :mad:

Travlyr
06-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Oh for the love of....this is just going beyond unreasonable. The guide was a trained swift water rescuer. :mad:

That's for sure. I applaud Mr. Snodgrass for sticking with his duty. It must have been horribly stressful for him to lose one of his passengers for 30 or 40 minutes. Good job Ryan! That water is cold and every second counts.

Philhelm
06-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Words can't express my hatred.

specsaregood
06-12-2010, 10:14 AM
If he hadn't done it, he would have been blamed for letting her die anyways as she was one of his clients and would have had the guilt squarely on his shoulders for the rest of his life. Good on him, I hope I would have done the same thing.

rancher89
06-12-2010, 10:17 AM
The girl is safe.

Bottom line result is the girl is safe. Pfft to those who stood around and did nothing.

brandon
06-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Oh wow. wtf

I went rafting (class IV) two weeks ago. My friends girl fell from our boat at the last rapid, right next to our take out point. She went for a swim about a quarter mile down the river before guides got her and took her back upstream to meet up with us. I couldn't even imagine if we had to wait for the government to set up a rescue operation.

MelissaWV
06-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Oh certainly someone jumping in and swimming to the aid of someone else in swift, cold water could jeopardize things. They might reach her and be too tired to help her (and then there are two people to save, not just one). They might reach her and she'll flail and cause them both to go under (killing them both). Might, might, might.

What is for certain in that situation is that speed is of the essence. You do set up ropes and rafts and rescuers. It's good practice, and if the swimmer (who is doing this voluntarily) is unsuccessful, such a bounty of equipment can be as easily used to rescue two as one. If the swimmer had not made it, or somehow gotten killed, it should have been simply his own responsibility, and it's not a bad way to die, is it.

There are very, very, VERY few scenarios where the person jumping in and swimming out to the girl would have caused HER demise. The rescuers are being moronic. Even if he was "obstructing" in their opinion, I fail to see how this merits any more than strong words in the accompanying news article. Something along the lines of "In this case, this turned out well, but there are numerous tragic cases every year where a well-meaning person gets themselves killed while complicating rescue operations." would have sufficed. Arresting him? What?!

rancher89
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM
btw mel, nice avatar, again.....are you getting younger? -sorry for off topic comment :D

erowe1
06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Is this a parable about any number of ways private entities could have helped with the BP oil spill and have been prevented from doing so by a government that insists on controlling the process?

newbitech
06-12-2010, 11:00 AM
You have to know that even if the prosecution decides to file charges the jury will overturn. Even if this man did break some law, what is the point of arresting and jailing him? Did the cops think he was going to commit another "crime"? No. The only reason he was arrested was to teach him the lesson that if you disobey a cop for whatever reason, you will be immediately punished.

The cops don't give two shits whether or not charges are filed. The cops don't give two shits whether or not the guy really broke any laws. This is the cops version of "street justice". The cops have too much power to be able sequester innocent individuals.

Cops should not have the authority to touch anyone if there is no risk to life or property. If the cops feel strongly enough about enforcing a law, then they should issue a summons and make their case in court. There is absolutely NO reason to interrupt someones life with an arrest, bond, and wrap sheet if that person poses no threat to anyone else.

Sure we'd be asking them to make a judgement call, BUT if the cops are allowed to deem every incident they show up at as a risk to life or property, then we allow them to derive the kind of authority that justifies the cops putting a hero behind bars for a night and forcing him to pay for his self-less actions.

To the Cops, you have no right to put your hands on someone who is not a danger to someone's life or property. And if you make bad judgements in this regard, you have no business being a "protector" and need to be punished for being a danger to innocent people. Keep your damn hands to yourself.