PDA

View Full Version : Government moves to ban peanuts on planes

Nate-ForLiberty
06-11-2010, 12:44 PM
SAVANNAH, Ga. – Federal regulators are considering a snack attack on the nation's airlines that would restrict or even completely ban serving peanuts on commercial flights.

Advocates say the move would ease fears and potential harm to an estimated 1.8 million Americans who suffer from peanut allergies. Peanut farmers and food packagers, however, see it as overreaching and unfair to their legume.

"The peanut is such a great snack and such an American snack," says Martin Kanan, CEO of the King Nut Companies, an Ohio company that packages the peanuts served by most U.S. airlines. "What's next? Is it banning peanuts in ballparks?"

Twelve years after Congress ordered it to back off peanuts, the U.S. Transportation Department gave notice last week that it's gathering feedback from allergy sufferers, medical experts, the food industry and the public on whether to ban or restrict in-flight peanuts.

The peanut proposals were listed in an 84-page document including several other proposed consumer protections for air travelers. Three options were given: banning serving of peanuts on all planes; prohibiting peanuts only when an allergic passenger requests it in advance; or requiring an undefined "peanut-free zone" flight when a passenger asks for one.

While those options only pertain to peanuts served by flight crews, the document also states "we are particularly interested in hearing views on how peanuts and peanut products brought on board aircraft by passengers should be handled."

Spokesman Bill Mosely said the department is responding to concerns from travelers who either suffer from peanut allergies or have allergic children, "some of whom do not fly" because they're afraid of exposure.

"We're just asking for comment on whether we should do any of these three things," Mosely said. "We may not do any of them."

Peanut allergy can cause life-threatening reactions in people ingesting even trace amounts. Just breathing peanut dust in the air can cause problems — though usually minor ones — such as itching, sneezing and coughing.

A few limited studies on airline passengers with peanut allergies found a number of people reporting symptoms while flying, but few were severe or life-threatening, said Dr. Scott Sicherer, who studies food allergies at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York.

"But there's discomfort," Sicherer said. "It's sort of like if you were allergic to dogs and all of a sudden they brought 50 dogs onto the plane."

Why worry about peanuts on airplanes, as opposed to other public spaces?

Advocates with the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network say the answer's simple: planes are confined spaces where the air and dust particles get re-circulated. And there's no way to stop and get off during a severe reaction during flight.

"It's a different environment when you're basically 30,000 feet in the air," said Chris Weiss, the group's vice president of advocacy and government relations. "If you're sitting around a bunch of people and all of a sudden they're all handed packages of peanuts, that could release enough peanut dust into the air to trigger a reaction."

The Transportation Department previously weighed imposing peanut-free zones on airliners in 1998. The agency retreated after getting a hostile response from Congress, which threatened to cut its budget.

Several airlines such as Continental, United, US Airways and JetBlue have voluntarily stopped serving packaged peanuts as mile-high grub. Others, including Delta, Northwest and Southwest still hand out goobers as in-flight snacks.

Not surprisingly, government regulation of peanuts on planes is a woefully unpopular idea in Georgia — the nation's top peanut producing state and home to former President Jimmy Carter, who grew up on a peanut farm.

"The peanut industry feels like we're being picked on," said Armond Morris, who grows peanuts on about 270 acres in rural Irwinville and serves as chairman of the Georgia Peanut Commission. "If we're going to go targeting food products, maybe we just need to ban all food" on planes.

Arlene de Armas of Miami sees things differently as she makes plans for her family to fly to Pennsylvania for a summer vacation. Her 7-year-old son, Leandro, is allergic to peanuts.

She's already planning on what precautions to take — calling the airline ahead to request no peanuts are served on her son's row, bringing sanitary wipes to clean the folding table in front of his seat and packing epinephrine — or adrenaline — to administer if he suffers a severe reaction.

"It's the added stress of knowing, God forbid, you could have a situation where he has a reaction and you have no way of getting to a hospital," de Armas said. "Peanut allergies are severe enough and common enough. Why not serve fruit?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100611/ap_on_bi_ge/us_peanuts_on_planes

dannno
06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Say peanut dust ten times fast.

catdd
06-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Forget the economy, forget how many people are dying in the middle east, forget that the people in both parties are fed up with lying, weak-need politicians.
Let's concentrate on this peanut issue.

Fiddling while Rome burns.

susano
06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Who else is sick of all of these hypocondriacs who if they so much as SEE the dreaded food or cigarette or whatever, claim they're gonna die?

libertybrewcity
06-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Who else is sick of all of these hypocondriacs who if they so much as SEE the dreaded food or cigarette or whatever, claim they're gonna die?

But the fun has just started?

Peanut-Free Baseball Games

ooking for peanut-free baseball? Here's an up-to-date list of Major League, Minor League, and Independent League teams that have announced peanut-free sections or games, plus information on how to buy tickets. Where the ticket link isn't specific to the peanut-free promotion, I've also included contact information for customer service so that you can ensure that you're placed in the proper part of the stadium.

Before you buy tickets to a peanut-free ballgame, you should be aware that ballparks vary in their outside food policies. Some ballparks forbid outside food entirely, while others make no restrictions. Likewise, some of these promotions will only restrict peanuts and, perhaps, tree nuts in the concession areas closest to the peanut-free seating, while others may not sell any peanut-containing products anywhere during the game. Call customer relations before purchasing your tickets if you have any questions about the particulars of the promotion, and always bring any emergency medication your doctor has recommended.

Do you know of a peanut-free game I should include on this list? Send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to add it.

2009 Peanut-Free Baseball Games

Date: ALL GAMES
Team: Camden Riversharks, Camden, NJ
Suite 319 for all home games is peanut-free. See press release or call 1-866-SHARKS-9 for tickets and information.
Date: June 17
Game: Minnesota Twins vs. Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB), Minneapolis, MN
Tickets, or call 800-33-TWINS (800-338-9467) and ask for the peanut-free skybox.
Date: June 19
Game: Reading Phillies vs. Harrisburg Senators (Class AA), Reading, PA
Tickets: Call 610-375-8469 for tickets in peanut-free section.
Date: June 21
Game: Norfolk Tides vs. Lehigh Valley IronPigs (Class AAA), Norfolk, VA
Tickets: Call 757-622-2222 and ask for the peanut-free section.
Date: June 21
Game: Detroit Tigers vs. Milwaukee Brewers (MLB), Detroit, MI
Tickets: Call 313-471-2361 and ask about the peanut-free suites.
Date: June 25
Game: Frederick Keys vs. Winston-Salem Dash (Class A), Frederick, MD
Tickets. Peanut-free night information, or call 301-662-0013.
Date: June 28
Game: Birmingham Barons vs. Mobile BayBears (Class AA), Birmingham, AL
Tickets, or call 205-988-3200.
Date: July 1
Game: Lowell Spinners vs. Staten Island Yankees (Class A), Lowell, MA
Tickets (Note: Call 978-459-2255 for information about peanut-free promotion.)
Date: July 3
Minnesota Twins vs. Detroit Tigers (MLB), Minneapolis, MN
Tickets, or call 800-33-TWINS (800-338-9467) and ask for the peanut-free skybox.
Date: July 8
Game: Kane County Cougars vs. Burlington Bees (Class A), Geneva, IL
Tickets (Note: Call 630-232-8811 for information about peanut-free promotion.)
Date: July 12
Game: Detroit Tigers vs. Cleveland Indians (MLB), Detroit, MI
Date: July 16
Game: Reading Phillies vs. New Britain Rock Cats (Class AA), Reading, PA
Call 610-375-8469 for tickets in peanut-free section.
Date: July 18
Game: Toronto Blue Jays vs. Boston Red Sox (MLB), Toronto, ON
Information for Ordering Tickets
Date: July 22
Game: River City Rascals vs. Lake Erie Crushers (Frontier League), O'Fallon, MO
Tickets (Note: Call 636-240-BATS for details about peanut-free promotion. Peanut-free tickets are located in section 109.)
Date: July 24
Game: Washington Nationals vs. San Diego Padres (MLB), Washington, DC
Information. (Note: Request an order form from the contact listed for the peanut-free game.)
Date: July 26
Game: Detroit Tigers vs. Chicago White Sox (MLB), Detroit, MI
Date: July 29
Game: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. St. Louis Cardinals (MLB), St. Louis, MO
Tickets, or call 314-345-9500 and ask for Peanut-Safe Tickets (available at a reduced rate of $14/ticket).
Date: August 2
Game: Lowell Spinners vs. Vermont Lake Monsters (Class A), Lowell, MA
Tickets (Note: Call 978-459-2255 for information about peanut-free promotion.)
Date: August 4
Game: Lakewood BlueClaws vs. Lake County Captains (Class A), Lakewood, NJ
Tickets: Contact Jo Ann Molnar at longbranchchair@foodallergy.org or 732-241-5444. (More information about peanut-free/FAAN promotion.
Date: August 5
Game: River City Rascals vs. Southern Illinois Miners (Frontier League), O'Fallon, MO
Tickets (Note: Call 636-240-BATS for details about peanut-free promotion. Peanut-free tickets are located in section 109.)
Date: August 8
Game: Toronto Blue Jays vs. Baltimore Orioles (MLB), Toronto, ON
Date: August 10
Game: Seattle Mariners vs. Chicago White Sox (MLB), Seattle, WA
Tickets and Information
Date: August 12
Game: Minnesota Twins vs. Kansas City Royals (MLB), Minneapolis, MN
Date: August 14
Game: Reading Phillies vs. Binghamton Mets (Class AA), Reading, PA
Call 610-375-8469 for tickets in peanut-free section.
Date: August 19
Game: River City Rascals vs. Kalamazoo Kings (Frontier League), O'Fallon, MO
Date: August 23
Game: Washington Nationals vs. Milwaukee Brewers (MLB), Washington, DC
Information. (Note: Request an order form from the contact listed for the peanut-free game.)
Date: September 2
Game: River City Rascals vs. Evansville Otters (Frontier League), O'Fallon, MO
Date: September 5
Game: Toronto Blue Jays vs. New York Yankees (MLB), Toronto, ON
Date: September 11
Game: Minnesota Twins vs. Detroit Tigers (MLB), Minneapolis, MN

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/a/peanutbaseball.htm

MelissaWV
06-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Peanut dust is enough to trigger allergies in those with severe cases. Likewise, asthma sufferers can have acute reactions to pollutants including (but not limited to) cigarettes to the point they can't even be in a smoker's house due to the residue left on furniture and clothing. Making fun of that and implying that those people are "hypocondriacs" is a disservice to everyone involved, and makes you look foolish.

That being said, these same people have known about planes and peanuts as snacks for years. Who here remembers the last time someone had a reaction and a plane they were on had to make an emergency landing? Me neither.

If planes aren't going to serve peanuts, then will peanuts themselves be banned? In other words, will the TSA agents (while they are confiscating your toenail clippers and improperly packaged shampoo) be nabbing anything that might generate peanut dust on a plane? What about someone who came from their job at the peanut plant and sat next to someone with an allergy? We must have machines that check everyone for peanut dust before they get on a plane!!!

Or, you know, those people with severe peanut allergies could be very careful and avoid the dust, and even potentially avoid flying. It seems to have worked out thusfar.

Forcing everyone else to tiptoe around you in order to accommodate your specific allergy, phobia, disability, or preference is really one of the biggest problems we have going socially right now. It's the gateway to taking away way more important freedoms.

MelissaWV
06-11-2010, 01:22 PM
But the fun has just started?

Peanut-Free Baseball Games

ooking for peanut-free baseball? Here's an up-to-date list of Major League, Minor League, and Independent League teams that have announced peanut-free sections or games, plus information on how to buy tickets. Where the ticket link isn't specific to the peanut-free promotion, I've also included contact information for customer service so that you can ensure that you're placed in the proper part of the stadium.

Before you buy tickets to a peanut-free ballgame, you should be aware that ballparks vary in their outside food policies. Some ballparks forbid outside food entirely, while others make no restrictions. Likewise, some of these promotions will only restrict peanuts and, perhaps, tree nuts in the concession areas closest to the peanut-free seating, while others may not sell any peanut-containing products anywhere during the game. Call customer relations before purchasing your tickets if you have any questions about the particulars of the promotion, and always bring any emergency medication your doctor has recommended.

Do you know of a peanut-free game I should include on this list? Send me an e-mail and I'll be happy to add it.

http://foodallergies.about.com/od/nutallergies/a/peanutbaseball.htm

Except that this is how it SHOULD be done. This isn't a response to a law, but a response to consumers. It's a directory maintained privately, to help people with allergies navigate through life a little more easily. Towards the bottom it also includes peanut-free snacks and such. There are schools that go "nut free" because students with allergies cause them to take notice of the situation. That's a good approach. Then there are regulations and laws put into place banning this or requiring that. That approach sucks and costs us all time and money and seldom actually addresses the issue it was supposed to address (or protects those it's supposed to, either).

akforme
06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
a great opportunity for an airline to pick up 1.8 million new passengers.

fisharmor
06-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I have never met a single person in 35 years who has a peanut allergy.
Or a nut allergy of any kind.

Forget the economy, forget how many people are dying in the middle east, forget that the people in both parties are fed up with lying, weak-need politicians.

Thread winner.

Brian4Liberty
06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Pretzels.

TonySutton
06-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Why didn't they link us to all the reports of people having reactions while aboard planes that were serving peanuts?

susano
06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Peanut dust is enough to trigger allergies in those with severe cases. Likewise, asthma sufferers can have acute reactions to pollutants including (but not limited to) cigarettes to the point they can't even be in a smoker's house due to the residue left on furniture and clothing. Making fun of that and implying that those people are "hypocondriacs" is a disservice to everyone involved, and makes you look foolish.

I don't believe them.

What do you wanna bet you could haul out some kind of dust, call it peanut dust, and the peanut allergy people have a reaction? What do you wanna bet you could produce steam, call it cigarette smoke, and the smoking Nazis claim they can't breath?

I'm not saying they're not having reactions. I'm saying they are hypochondriacs, i.e., it's psychological.

susano
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Why didn't they link us to all the reports of people having reactions while aboard planes that were serving peanuts?

Exactly. What's next, strawberries?

susano
06-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Pretzels.

Pretzels = pretzel dust

Enter the wheat gluten allergics

fisharmor
06-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Those reports are buried under the mountain of dead babies that got us the car seat laws.

susano
06-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Those reports are buried under the mountain of dead babies that got us the car seat laws.

Except that the carnage from car crashes is real. Peanut dust, not so much.

Dr.3D
06-11-2010, 02:29 PM
So why not let the airlines decide if they want to lose the business of people who have peanut allergies? All they need to do is tell everyone when they are buying a ticket, they might have peanuts on board the plane.

This would then alert those with that specific allergy so they can decide if they want to fly with that airline.

HOLLYWOOD
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM

WHAT! You mean they (House of 'So-Called' Representatives) ran out of Post Offices to rename?

jkr
06-11-2010, 02:36 PM

Thread winner.

im married to one actually

its no joke

susano
06-11-2010, 02:39 PM

its no joke

Can your spouse be in the same room as someone eating peanuts or peanut butter?

dean.engelhardt
06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I can't remeber the last flight I was on that served peanuts. The government is trying to take credit for a free market answer that already exists.

susano
06-11-2010, 02:41 PM

its no joke

BTW, I know someone allergic to all nuts. He needs to eat them to have a reaction, however.

Thrashertm
06-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Won't someone think about the children!!?!? What about the children!?!? Oh my!!!!!

jkr
06-11-2010, 02:45 PM
its the MOST common food alergy
effects ~15% of population

my wife here brother and dad are ALL alergic to theses deadly substances and they MUST be baned! think of the children!

it is funny what is "leagal" and what is not...

the nut dust on planes is due to the recirculated enviroment, which is a problem on planes in general ( perfume )
certain folks are sensitized to the point where inhalation is enough to trigger a response

wifey has met MANY people THROUGHOUT her life with nut allergies and say
"any one who hasn't met someone like her must be a hermit", HEHEHE

Icymudpuppy
06-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I am allergic to most nuts.

Peanuts and Walnuts give me the worst reaction. Any mucus membrane which comes in contact with nuts will become inflamed and if swallowed, the inflammation of my throat can and has caused my airway to close up necessitating a breathing tube. That hasn't happened since I was a toddler since I have learned to detect nuts before it gets that far.

Even non mucus membranes can react. I made a batch of peanut butter cookies bare handed once to help my big sister, and my hands began to swell up.

I have learned to avoid eating baked goods unless I can see the ingredients, and avoid places where dust from nuts might be prevalent.

Still, I don't see why a ban should be necessary. Why ruin everybody else's time. I could request a peanut free flight if there are any, or I could bring a respirator to wear if I thought it was a big problem. My allergy isn't as bad as some people's.

susano
06-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I am allergic to most nuts.

Peanuts and Walnuts give me the worst reaction. Any mucus membrane which comes in contact with nuts will become inflamed and if swallowed, the inflammation of my throat can and has caused my airway to close up necessitating a breathing tube. That hasn't happened since I was a toddler since I have learned to detect nuts before it gets that far.

Even non mucus membranes can react. I made a batch of peanut butter cookies bare handed once to help my big sister, and my hands began to swell up.

I have learned to avoid eating baked goods unless I can see the ingredients, and avoid places where dust from nuts might be prevalent.

Still, I don't see why a ban should be necessary. Why ruin everybody else's time. I could request a peanut free flight if there are any, or I could bring a respirator to wear if I thought it was a big problem. My allergy isn't as bad as some people's.

If someone ate a PB sandwich near you, would that be a problem?

MelissaWV
06-11-2010, 03:10 PM

I have met many.

I have not, however, met a single person who wants legislation to try to save them from a potential reaction.

susano
06-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm still wondering is someone can have a reaction from PB fumes.

MelissaWV
06-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Can your spouse be in the same room as someone eating peanuts or peanut butter?

Your previous posts are along the same lines.

Peanuts (and other nuts that people are allergic to) are a special case because of the oils involved. Let's pretend that you're right, and peanut dust doesn't cause reactions (even though it does). If someone is on a plane with you, eats peanuts, and doesn't wash their hands thoroughly, any surface they are touching is going to have traces of peanut oil. If you then touch that surface, you are coming into contact with it. The oil is fairly tenacious. If the oil comes into contact with a mucous membrane, that person can have a reaction if they're allergic. There are a lot of "if"s in that scenario. Someone who has a peanut allergy knows all of this already, and avoids scenarios where they will be surrounded by peanuts or peanut dust. The legislation is stupid and unnecessary.

Smoke is not the same as steam. Cigarette smoke carries with it certain pollutants, just like smog and car exhaust, which are not good to breathe in. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. Are there people who love to cause a scene and be melodramatic about the smoke? Of course. Are you seriously contending that people who have a reaction to peanut dust (who often don't know right away that's what's happening) are hypochondriacs and it's all psychological? Why stop there? Why not follow that line of logic to its conclusion? Why aren't ALL allergies considered psychological? If you want to pretend that this is the case, go on ahead, but your "I don't believe you!" confrontational attitude does, in fact, make you seem quite foolish.

I'm still wondering is someone can have a reaction from PB fumes.

Assuming you're being serious (which is doubt at this juncture), peanut butter is processed, goopy, and does not vaporize in any real sense. Peanut dust is inhaled, and comes into contact with the mucous membranes.

People with supersensitive peanut allergies can have anaphylactic reactions just from being in the same room as peanut dust. My friend Karen, for one, can't eat jelly if you used the peanut-butter knife to spread it.

Peanut butter might be another big problem, suggests one recent study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The United States lags behind China and India in peanut butter production. But people in the U.S. have more peanut allergies. That might be because U.S. producers dry roast peanuts instead of boiling them, the new study suggests. Dry roasting appears to change the peanut protein into a form that triggers a more powerful allergic reaction.

I suppose someone's potentially life-threatening allergies will continue to be a source of giggles for you. I'm glad you have such a unique sense of humor and refuse to get educated. Hopefully no one you know has a reaction and dies while you lecture them on how melodramatic they are being, and how it's all in their head ;)

Anyways, all of that is beside the point entirely. The point is that legislation isn't needed. People who have allergies already know to be careful and avoid these kinds of situations.

susano
06-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Your previous posts are along the same lines.

Peanuts (and other nuts that people are allergic to) are a special case because of the oils involved. Let's pretend that you're right, and peanut dust doesn't cause reactions (even though it does). If someone is on a plane with you, eats peanuts, and doesn't wash their hands thoroughly, any surface they are touching is going to have traces of peanut oil. If you then touch that surface, you are coming into contact with it. The oil is fairly tenacious. If the oil comes into contact with a mucous membrane, that person can have a reaction if they're allergic. There are a lot of "if"s in that scenario. Someone who has a peanut allergy knows all of this already, and avoids scenarios where they will be surrounded by peanuts or peanut dust. The legislation is stupid and unnecessary.

Smoke is not the same as steam. Cigarette smoke carries with it certain pollutants, just like smog and car exhaust, which are not good to breathe in. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. Are there people who love to cause a scene and be melodramatic about the smoke? Of course. Are you seriously contending that people who have a reaction to peanut dust (who often don't know right away that's what's happening) are hypochondriacs and it's all psychological? Why stop there? Why not follow that line of logic to its conclusion? Why aren't ALL allergies considered psychological? If you want to pretend that this is the case, go on ahead, but your "I don't believe you!" confrontational attitude does, in fact, make you seem quite foolish.

If the mere presense of peanuts can, indeed, cause someone to go into something like anaphylatic (sp) shock, then they should be banned from planes. I'm saying that I don't believe that's the case. However, if I'm wrong, I have no problem with being shown that I am. I have seen someone go into shock from eating fish, and I wouldn't want anyone to have their life threatened like that.

You missed my point on the steam. I'm saying if someone who believes they can't breath in sight of cigarette smoke were tricked into think that steam was cig smoke, I would bet you could expect a reaction.

susano
06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I suppose someone's potentially life-threatening allergies will continue to be a source of giggles for you. I'm glad you have such a unique sense of humor and refuse to get educated. Hopefully no one you know has a reaction and dies while you lecture them on how melodramatic they are being, and how it's all in their head ;)

Anyways, all of that is beside the point entirely. The point is that legislation isn't needed. People who have allergies already know to be careful and avoid these kinds of situations.

No, a life threatening situation isn't a source of amusement to me. You misunderstand me.

If airlines are subsidized with tax money, and I don't know if they are, legilslation could, indeed, be passed. If not, and the presense of peanuts is serious, then the airlines should ban them at all times, just like smoking.

MelissaWV
06-11-2010, 03:37 PM
If the mere presense of peanuts can, indeed, cause someone to go into something like anaphylatic (sp) shock, then they should be banned from planes. I'm saying that I don't believe that's the case. However, if I'm wrong, I have no problem with being shown that I am. I have seen someone go into shock from eating fish, and I wouldn't want anyone to have their life threatened like that.

You missed my point on the steam. I'm saying if someone who believes they can't breath in sight of cigarette smoke were tricked into think that steam was cig smoke, I would bet you could expect a reaction.

It's not about sight. I already stated there will always be people who are melodramatic hypochondriacs. That's a given. However your statement made it seem like it's only psychological, and that smoke and dust really don't cause a reaction at all. That's hogwash.

I had pneumonia recently and am going through the aftermath of it, which includes sensitivity to stuff I used to be able to tolerate. Being in a smoker's car is now impossible. It feels like I'm breathing sawdust. Driving with "outside air" coming in is a hassle, because the exhaust from vehicles feels like sandpaper in my airway. When I breathe there's an unnerving whistle or bubbling sometimes. It's not in my head, trust me; it's loud enough that others around me can hear it, too. That sensitivity that is thankfully only temporary for me is how others live.

It shouldn't be about proving that peanut dust can cause reactions in some people. Even if it does, it shouldn't trigger a ban. Do you know that dust mite feces causes way more allergic reactions? Will all passengers be scanned for mites? How about pollen? Passengers with potential airborne illnesses are still boarding planes, and some of those can be just as deadly. Since some passengers have lower immune systems, maybe we should scan people before boarding for influenza or other similar things? Where, precisely, is that line drawn...

Bossobass
06-11-2010, 03:45 PM
...at the same time, Government will add more subsidies and guarantees to the prescription drug and food processors while clearing the way for more poisonous additives and addictive drug ingredients that twist the human immune system into a diseased pretzel.

Bosso

Icymudpuppy
06-11-2010, 04:28 PM
If someone ate a PB sandwich near you, would that be a problem?

No. No dust from PB&J, and as long as they don't get the stuff on things I am going to touch, I'll be fine. Rub some PB on the sink handles, and then I go in and wash my face and my face will swell up.

For me, it isn't the oil that is the problem. It is the proteins. Clean pure peanut oil is non-allergenic. For example, Tim's cascade style potato chips. I can eat them all day and they are cooked in 100% peanut oil. I suspect the same is true for most nut allergy people. They are making a false assumption about the oil, rather than the true culprit, the proteins.

I am also allergic to many animals. Why are cats so much worse than most? It is not pet dander that people are allergic to, it is their saliva. Cat's clean themselves by smearing their saliva everywhere, and that is why cats are so much more dangerous than dogs for pet allergies. A lot of people think it's the dander, but it's the saliva.

MelissaWV
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
No. No dust from PB&J, and as long as they don't get the stuff on things I am going to touch, I'll be fine. Rub some PB on the sink handles, and then I go in and wash my face and my face will swell up.

For me, it isn't the oil that is the problem. It is the proteins. Clean pure peanut oil is non-allergenic. For example, Tim's cascade style potato chips. I can eat them all day and they are cooked in 100% peanut oil. I suspect the same is true for most nut allergy people. They are making a false assumption about the oil, rather than the true culprit, the proteins.

I am also allergic to many animals. Why are cats so much worse than most? It is not pet dander that people are allergic to, it is their saliva. Cat's clean themselves by smearing their saliva everywhere, and that is why cats are so much more dangerous than dogs for pet allergies. A lot of people think it's the dander, but it's the saliva.

When I talk about oil, I don't actually mean "peanut oil" in the sense of what comes in a bottle. I am talking about the actual oil (residue) that gets on your hands when you eat nuts. That residue does contain elements of the protein, and it isn't something you can wipe or rinse off effectively. This is why cross-contamination is a bit of a dicey issue. Someone might be kindly going in to wash the stuff off in the bathroom, but if they touched the handle, they've left you a gift.

andrewh817
06-11-2010, 05:32 PM
If it's so big a problem why weren't the airlines pushing to ban it from their flights, personally? Oh right, it isn't a big problem!