PDA

View Full Version : Social Security number required to fish in PA

brandon
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
I just bought my fishing license the other day for $25. It's already absurd enough that one needs a license to fish, but to make it even worse I was required to submit my social security number to get the license.

Is this really necessary? :confused:

ninepointfive
06-10-2010, 09:51 AM
YES

now, back to your stall!

Cowlesy
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
I just bought my fishing license the other day for $25. It's already absurd enough that one needs a license to fish, but to make it even worse I was required to submit my social security number to get the license.

Seriously??? I haven't fished in PA for years, but I don't think you even need to submit a SS# to buy a gun, do you? (I think they make it optional)

constituent
06-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Is cane pole fishing exempted?

Danke
06-10-2010, 10:24 AM
The answer depends upon the agency. Some government agencies, including tax authorities, welfare offices, and state Departments of Motor Vehicles, can require your SSN number as mandated by federal law (42 USC 405 (c)(2)(C)(v) and (i)). Others may request the SSN, leading you to believe you must provide it.

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires all government agencies — federal, state and local — that request SSNs to provide a "disclosure" statement on the form. The statement explains whether you are required to provide your SSN or if it’s optional, how the SSN will be used, and under what statutory or other authority the number is requested (5 USC 552a, note). The U.S. Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) provides guidance and oversight regarding the Privacy Act of 1974. The text of the Privacy Act can be found at the Web site http://www.usdoj.gov/opcl/privstat.htm.

The Privacy Act states that you cannot be denied a government benefit or service if you refuse to disclose your SSN unless the disclosure is required by federal law, or the disclosure is to an agency that has been using SSNs before January 1975, when the Privacy Act went into effect. There are other exceptions as well. Read the Code of Federal Regulations section here: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/julqtr/28cfr16.53.htm

If you are asked to give your SSN to a government agency and no disclosure statement is included on the form, you should complain to the agency and cite the Privacy Act of 1974. You can also contact your Congressional representative and U.S. Senators with your complaint. Unfortunately, there appear to be no penalties when a government agency fails to provide a disclosure statement.

A federal program called the Federal Parent Locator Service — and its subset, the National Directory of New Hires — uses computerized databases to provide addresses and SSNs to state and local agencies to help locate parents evading child-support orders or to resolve parental kidnapping and child custody cases. No consent is required. While beneficial, such databases contain the potential for abuse if other purposes are found for such information.

brandon
06-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Maybe it is optional, but according to the 18 year old girl working at Dick's that sold me the license, she couldn't put it through without a SS#. I'll have to look into it some more.

Krugerrand
06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Maybe it is optional, but according to the 18 year old girl working at Dick's that sold me the license, she couldn't put it through without a SS#. I'll have to look into it some more.

What if you don't have one?

kahless
06-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Likely you can thank guys like Tommy Thompson, Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton and bi-partisan congressional support for enacting the 1996 Welfare Reform Act. People hear "Welfare Reform" and typically think it does not apply to them but there is so much big brother stuff as part of it that it effects all Americans regardless of welfare status. The states and local counties are given federal dollars to enact intrusive polices as part of the Act.

The purpose in this case is for punishing those behind on child support. They will deny driver, fishing or professional licenses if you are behind on child support.

dannno
06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
I never catch the amount of fish in a year that pays for the license.. but I do like to fish on occasion.. so I go out and spend money on a pole and gear, just to give all my fish and more money back to the state. It's so ludicrous.

catdd
06-10-2010, 10:38 AM
In Tn it is required the first time you register but after that you just show them your old license. The money is used for resources and habitat and the store gets only a very small percentage of it.

TonySutton
06-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Likely you can thank guys like Tommy Thompson, Newt Gingrich, Bill Clinton and bi-partisan congressional support for enacting the 1996 Welfare Reform Act. People hear "Welfare Reform" and typically think it does not apply to them but there is so much big brother stuff as part of it that it effects all Americans regardless of welfare status. The states and local counties are given federal dollars to enact intrusive polices as part of the Act.

The purpose in this case is for the purpose of punishing those behind on child support. They will deny driver, fishing or professional licenses if you are behind on child support.

we have a winner!

Since 1998, purchasers of Pennsylvania fishing license have been required to provide their Social Security numbers when they apply to purchase a fishing license. This requirement is set forth in federal and state laws on enforcement of child support obligations.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/ssn.htm

Krugerrand
06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
we have a winner!

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/ssn.htm

Tony, you're demonstrating a poor understanding of our Constitution. Clearly, the commerce clause intended put the Federal Government in charge of burdening the state with idiotic methods to enforce child support laws. Don't you see it?:rolleyes:

MelissaCato
06-10-2010, 11:11 AM
If you have a previous years lic ... all you have to do is show the old one. I've been showing the old one for years to get the new one, that's good enough in my neck of the woods. So far.

Razmear
06-10-2010, 11:12 AM
SC asks for your SS# as well.
I think it's pretty much universal at this point under the guise of preventing people who owe back child support from fishing, hunting or otherwise being able to provide for their families by using alternative methods to gather food.

I have no problem in paying the $10 per year to fish in this state, the DNR spends a pretty high percentage of the fees generated on hatcheries and stocking programs.

eb

dannno
06-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I have no problem in paying the $10 per year to fish in this state, the DNR spends a pretty high percentage of the fees generated on hatcheries and stocking programs.

eb

Hmm ya I'd be down to pay $10 if they are actually doing something besides enforcement... But here it's like $45/year.. $45 buys a lot of god damn fish. Probably more than I eat in year.

TonySutton
06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Tony, you're demonstrating a poor understanding of our Constitution. Clearly, the commerce clause intended put the Federal Government in charge of burdening the state with idiotic methods to enforce child support laws. Don't you see it?:rolleyes:

I missed the part where I said anything about whether or not it was constitutional. Can you [B]BOLD[B] it for me?

I was simply referencing the PA guideline that discusses it. The reference also mentions the PA Law.

TonySutton
06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Hmm ya I'd be down to pay $10 if they are actually doing something besides enforcement... But here it's like $45/year.. $45 buys a lot of god damn fish. Probably more than I eat in year.

PA used to do a lot of trout stocking, not sure if they still do it or not.

Krugerrand
06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
I missed the part where I said anything about whether or not it was constitutional. Can you [B]BOLD[B] it for me?

I was simply referencing the PA guideline that discusses it. The reference also mentions the PA Law.

True enough. I sure cannot. :)

dannno
06-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Well here we got the ocean, but I don't think they are doing any halibut stocking :(

MelissaCato
06-10-2010, 11:45 AM

PA is awesome with stocking trout. They have always been in my area anyhows. Over the past 3 or so years ... they stocked plenty for alot of good eating, rest assure, as a last resort people could at least feed themselves and family.

This year though I was told they stopped stocking areas where new property owners posted the property within like 500 yards. That kinda sucks, but hey, those fish went somewhere !!! :D

The PA Fish and Game Commission around here is awesome. It just sucks their funding is about nothing for next year and prolly many years later. Definately our children will not ever have the fishing life their parents did. Sad really.

Glad my son got at least one 26" palamino when he was 9 !!!

Seriously, I hope we get this economy in order via the US Constitution. Because if we fail, all future childrens will miss out on the little things in life, like gone fishing.

Ron Paul 2012 !!!! :D:D:D

brandon
06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
^^ Should point out that the license I talked about in the OP does not allow me to fish for trout. I have to purchase an additional "trout stamp" if I want to fish trout.

xd9fan
06-10-2010, 12:28 PM
somebody in PA needs to tell PA to fuckitself
unless PA will increase your personal Social security payments....they dont need the number....period.

kahless
06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
somebody in PA needs to tell PA to fuckitself
unless PA will increase your personal Social security payments....they dont need the number....period.

Actually PA should tell the feds to go fuck themselves since they are the ones requiring them to enforce the license policy.