PDA

View Full Version : In China, those responsible for the spill would be hung or shot

ninepointfive
06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Which would you support?

Perhaps searing hot tar and feathers! time to bring it back!

Bruno
06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
In Japan, they might even commit suicide from shame

angelatc
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
And yet it would happen anyway.

It's like you people have never made a mistake. And before you say, "Well, I've never made a mistake that screwed up an entire coastline!" allow me to point out you've never been allowed that kind of responsibility in the first place.

Yes, let's sing the praises of living in a brutal regime.

Bruno
06-10-2010, 10:08 AM

It's like you people have never made a mistake. And before you say, "Well, I've never made a mistake that screwed up an entire coastline!" allow me to point out you've never been allowed that kind of responsibility in the first place.

This wasn't just a "mistake" it was incompetence, mismanagement, ignoring warning signs from weeks earlier, etc. Listen to the stories of the survivors of the well explosion. 11 lives were lost, in addition to the incredible damage caused.

ninepointfive
06-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Tar and Feathers!

constituent
06-10-2010, 10:12 AM
I guess if you support the death penalty then the case could be made...

Travlyr
06-10-2010, 10:12 AM

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for accidents of the scale we see in the Gulf. That is government at work. BP/EPA. The people involved knew the risks. And they also knew the liability. We have to force changes for future generations or it will only get worse.

Baptist
06-10-2010, 10:21 AM
If I were king there would be no prisons in America. If you stole, damaged property, committed fraud, or caused somebody monetary loss, you would be forced to pay them back fourfold. Those who could not or refused to compensate those they harmed would be put to death. For crimes such as murder, rape, and the like, you would be put to death.

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
In Japan, they might even commit suicide from shame

Still possible. One of the Enron guys did it.

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
This wasn't just a "mistake" it was incompetence, mismanagement, ignoring warning signs from weeks earlier, etc. Listen to the stories of the survivors of the well explosion. 11 lives were lost, in addition to the incredible damage caused.

Yep, it was more than just a mistake. And it also sounds like multiple things went wrong and were improperly handled.

If you are driving down the street and accidentally hit and kill a kid, what happens? Manslaughter charges?

dannno
06-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Those who could not or refused to compensate those they harmed would be put to death.

So wait a minute.. those who are poor and steal a loaf of bread would be put to death :confused:

Or would you have a labor camp for them to earn the compensation :confused:

Maybe you could call them Compensation Camps :D

Baptist
06-10-2010, 11:34 AM
So wait a minute.. those who are poor and steal a loaf of bread would be put to death :confused:

Or would you have a labor camp for them to earn the compensation :confused:

Maybe you could call them Compensation Camps :D

Stealing is wrong, period. Why do you make excuses for some wrongs, some of the time? Is it cool to rape under certain circumstances?

It is always wrong to lie, steal, murder, and rape.

I didn't say my society would be perfect. The poor guy could agree to be a slave/indentured servitude to the person he stole from. After paying off four loafs of bread he'd be free.

erowe1
06-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Among the hung and shot would also be a lot of people who weren't responsible. And even of those who were responsible, certain well-connected people would avoid punishment.

Brian in Maryland
06-10-2010, 01:08 PM
If I were king there would be no prisons in America. If you stole, damaged property, committed fraud, or caused somebody monetary loss, you would be forced to pay them back fourfold. Those who could not or refused to compensate those they harmed would be put to death. For crimes such as murder, rape, and the like, you would be put to death.

Innocent people are convicted all the time. Many people have been found innocent after years on death row, or after serving very long sentences. Some are even found innocent after execution. This is why I changed my mind about the death penalty years ago.

Working Poor
06-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Innocent people are convicted all the time. Many people have been found innocent after years on death row, or after serving very long sentences. Some are even found innocent after execution. This is why I changed my mind about the death penalty years ago.

^^ this

ChaosControl
06-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Well I don't support the death penalty. But I do support fining them into bankruptcy, but with that government sponsored limited liability, we cannot exactly do that... Damn corporatist b.s.

NewFederalist
06-10-2010, 04:38 PM
"In China, those responsible for the spill would be hung or shot."

I would guess the BP executives are happy they didn't spill oil on Chinese coastline then. BTW, they would be HANGED or shot. Probably shot... one round in the back of the head.

LibForestPaul
06-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for accidents of the scale we see in the Gulf. That is government at work. BP/EPA. The people involved knew the risks. And they also knew the liability. We have to force changes for future generations or it will only get worse.

What liability? The executive board members still have their benzes, their 12 room homes, their summer vacation homes on the beach, not too mention their lives. BP, the corporate person(thank you scotus), is protected from major litigation. And they will get to keep oil leases. And no criminal penalties for anyone.