PDA

View Full Version : A Penny Saved...

MrOrange
10-13-2007, 11:04 AM
A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned for Ron Paul 2008

For the next 18 days (until the end of October), I'll be making sacrifices... little sacrifices in an effort to maximize the amount I can give to the Ron Paul campaign.

I don't know about everyone else, but I probably will not come close to maxing out at $2300 by the end of the primary season, because I'm relatively poor (let's say lower middle class). I already do without a lot of perks in life. But still, like many Americans, I am a very wasteful person. I find myself spending my hard-earned money on frivilous things (a candy bar here, a soda there, many $4 beers everywhere).

For the next 18 days, I will attempt to eliminate most of that wasteful spending and bring it down to a level approaching necessity. I will attempt to quantify the amount saved into a solid dollar amount, which I will then donate in a lump sum (along with my regular donation) on Halloween night to the Ron Paul campaign. That isn't to say I will not be having fun and will lock myself in a hole for two and a half weeks, Ghandi-style. I just won't have AS MANY beers, won't go to the movies AS OFTEN, won't drink as many $1.25 sodas from the vending machine, etc...

I'll keep everyone updated regularly on my progress.

This is a good excercise on controlling wasteful spending anyhow. And it's also a good way for the not-so-well-off of us to dig deep for extra funds to give to the campaign. Let's face it, we all like to see Lady Liberty fill. And we all could probably be doing just a little more to get to that $12 million. Pennies add up people. I think I can significantly boost my regular contribution just by trimming a little fat. Anyone with me on this? We can help blow the top of the torch on October 31.

I'll start with $5, representing the pack of smokes I might have bought today had I not quit 10 days ago. I'll keep a running total on this thread. Thanks all.

Total: $5

LibertyEagle
10-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Neat idea. It's people like you that give me real hope that this campaign can and will succeed. :)

me3
10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Self control and personal accountability are empowering. They're skills that will last all of your life.

MrOrange
10-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, me3 and LibertyEagle.

Cancelled an online sports media package due to renew: $7.95
Other estimated food/snacks savings: $1.25

Original $5.00 + $9.20 = $14.20 of fat trimmed so far for Ron Paul.

This stuff can add up quickly and I'm being fairly conservative with the estimates of what I would have spent.

Hope some people join me in trimming some fat for Ron Paul. It's pretty painless.
I have no goal or estimate of what I will be able to accumulate, but I don't think it would be unrealistic to think I could gain an extra $100 in 18 days.

MrOrange
10-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Money that normally just flies out of my pocket. This isn't hard:

food/snacks savings Sunday ($3.13)
+
not buying a newspaper ($1.00)
+
food/snacks savings Monday ($5.58)
=
After 2.5 days: $9.71 + $14.20 (previous total) = $23.91 total savings, extra money going to Ron Paul.

Just trimming some of the fat everyone. Not even much of it. It doesn't sound like much and I'm not sacrificing a whole lot (yet) for Ron Paul (not really a heroic endeavor). I just want to show everyone how easy it is to give your donation an extra boost, just by making small, daily lifestyle choices.

There are a lot of people like me, who don't have a lot of money lying around and who probably cannot afford to max out their donation by the primary season. This is a way for them to give more than they already have without putting their finances on life support.

Thanks for listening. We'll get to $12 mil :D