PDA

View Full Version : Is this good?

libertybrewcity
06-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

By Alan Gomez, USA TODAY
Arizona's tough new immigration enforcement law is fueling an exodus of Hispanics from the state seven weeks before it goes into effect, according to officials and residents in the state.
Though no one has precise figures, reports from school officials, businesses and individuals indicate worried Hispanics — both legal and illegal — are leaving the state in anticipation of the law, which will go into effect July 29.

Schools in Hispanic areas report unusual drops in enrollment. The Balsz Elementary School District is 75% Hispanic, and within a month of the law's passage, the parents of 70 students pulled them out of school, said District Superintendent Jeffrey Smith. The district lost seven students over the same one-month period last year, and parents tell Smith the Arizona law is the reason for leaving.

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-06-08-immigration_N.htm

low preference guy
06-09-2010, 11:45 PM
it's going to hurt their economy.

as for reducing violence, eliminating the War on Drugs would be more effective.

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Terrible things will probably happen:

Unemployment will drop, State costs for social services and education will drop, wages will increase... It will be a catastrophe. :rolleyes:

Marenco
06-10-2010, 12:27 AM

Unemployment will drop, State costs for social services and education will drop, wages will increase... It will be a catastrophe. :rolleyes:

Armageddon. :D

libertybrewcity
06-10-2010, 12:58 AM

will wages increase if there is no work?

Kregisen
06-10-2010, 04:30 AM
It doesn't matter if it helps us or hurts us, as long as illegals are leaving I'm happy. The border is a national security issue; we can't have anyone undocumented come in.

osan
06-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law

They are free to go if that is what they wish. Nobody holds them there, to my knowledge.

MelissaWV
06-10-2010, 06:45 AM

Yep. Even though there are legal citizens leaving at the same time (throwing out the baby with the bathwater), the net effect is that there will be a population reduction in the state. Many states are "overpopulated" right now, which is to say they have too many worker bees for the amount and types of jobs available. If there are legal and illegal Hispanics leaving, I am willing to bet some of them hold "normal" jobs (not just picking produce or gardening or whatever else) that will now be vacant. This means that some of Arizona's unemployed are going to find themselves employed, if they so wish. Some of them being illegal, and some of them being poor, the strain on social services (which we can't afford as a nation, either) will be reduced.

As for wages rising and the cost of education dropping, I don't think there will be enough of an exodus for either thing to occur in any noticable way. The only way I could see this happening is if so many Hispanics in one sector left, wages had to rise to attract replacement workers. This MIGHT happen for low-level agriculture jobs, but I don't think we'd see a marked rise in wages because those jobs don't really attract professionals on a large scale. The people replacing them are likely to be students or other immigrants who are willing to work for fairly little.

Education budgets shrinking? Really? Do you think that will ever happen? :rolleyes: There will be a reduction in the strain on school lunch programs and things like that, but that's a social service to me (free/reduced lunch and those breakfasts provided to poor children). I doubt there will be a large enough reduction at any one school to merit consolidation of students and reductions in staff. Even if that were warranted, the school would not want to let anyone go in this economy and deal with a public relations problem. What might change, if enough of a certain demographic leaves, is targetted classes, but those are usually taught by teachers pulling double-duty. ESOL programs, for instance, are often taught by Spanish teachers. If ESOL is cut, Spanish won't, because most schools have a foreign language requirement. I know. I aced Spanish, too. It's a really dumb requirement.

Of course, the real question is "where are they going?" One state's gains are going to be other states' losses.

sevin
06-10-2010, 06:51 AM
One state's gains are going to be other states' losses.

Well they should know things aren't going well in California, so I'm betting they're gonna come to Texas.

furface
06-10-2010, 06:55 AM
I highly doubt MDs, RNs, scientists, engineers, & skilled technicians are leaving the state in droves. It's hard to predict the outcome, but my guess would be that Arizona will see an economic benefit from it.

This is an experiment in State Rights, and Arizona should have the right to carry it out. I think there's a lot of fear among illegal alien proponents that the experiment will show that illegal aliens are a tremendous drain on economies. Me personally, I would merely like to see the results of the experiment one way or another. Knowledge is power.

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Education budgets shrinking? Really? Do you think that will ever happen? :rolleyes:

I doubt there will be a large enough reduction at any one school to merit consolidation of students and reductions in staff.

Lol! Government will never willingly cut any budget! But in these economic times, they will be required to cut as much as they can.

In my town they closed and consolidated many schools over the years, due to drops in enrollment. Not sure if they cut budget though. Probably gave the bureaucrats a raise...

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
will wages increase if there is no work?

Wages increase as workers become scarce. Wages decrease when there is a worker surplus. Supply and demand.