PDA

View Full Version : Mick Mulvaney (SC)--Self Proclaimed Libertarian Republican

lx43
06-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Mick Mulvaney is running against John Spratt of SC. Mulvaney claimed to be a self decribed libertarian republican.

Real ID: Voted against implementing in SC

http://www.mickmulvaney.com/site/pdf/REAL_ID.pdf

From his Campaign site: http://www.mulvaneyforcongress.com/issues-2/

The Role of Government I believe in the United States Constitution. I believe in the concept of a limited federal government. I believe that the federal government’s primary duty is to safeguard our personal freedoms so that we can reach our highest potential as individuals.

Somehow our government has forgotten that. In just a generation Washington has gone from “Ask not what your country can do for you….” to “We will guarantee your GM warranty.”

It also strikes me that Washington has better things to do than to tell us how to live our lives. I don’t want to live in a nanny state or under a government that thinks it should be Big Brother. Generally speaking I believe what you do in your own home or in your private life is your business. At the same time neither is it the government’s job to institutionalize the corruption of American culture and history, or to legislate the wholesale destruction of our traditional community values.

The best balance comes in recognizing and honoring the limitations on the federal government – and the primacy of the people and the states – set forth in the Constitution.

So far so good, I just don't see anything about his stances on foreign policy.

South Park Fan
06-09-2010, 11:11 PM
He sounds like a good candidate. It's also in a R+7 district, so he might have a decent chance at winning this year.

lx43
06-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I hope he has a non interventionalist foreign policy. I'll contribute to his campaign and voluteer to help his campaign if he is.

nobody's_hero
06-10-2010, 02:25 AM
In just a generation Washington has gone from “Ask not what your country can do for you….” to “We will guarantee your GM warranty.”

I got a chuckle.

haaaylee
06-10-2010, 11:43 AM
what are his chances?

lx43
06-10-2010, 01:23 PM
You know how reliable internal polling can be. Rolling eyes.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/05/spratt_challeng.php

Rep. John Spratt (D-SC) faces the toughest challenge of his career, according to a new survey conducted for his GOP challenger, as party strategists say they are increasingly confident in their ability to knock off the chairman of the House Budget Committee.

The Public Opinion Strategies (R) poll conducted for state Sen. Mick Mulvaney (R), obtained by Hotline OnCall, surveyed 400 likely voters between May 17-18 for a margin of error of +/- 5.3%. Spratt and Mulvaney were tested against each other.

GENERAL ELECTION MATCHUP
Spratt 43% (-5 from last, 10/09)
Mulvaney 41 (+6)
The GOP's pressure on Spratt has helped push his personal ratings down. A total of 42% see him favorably, down 9 points from the fall, while his disapproval rating has risen 14 points, to 33%. Still, few know Mulvaney, whose fav/unfav rating stands at an anemic 13%/5%.

GOPers say they expect Mulvaney to have a chance at beating the 14-term Spratt, provided Mulvaney can raise the money necessary to compete. At the end of the first quarter, Mulvaney had $206K in the bank, about a quarter of the $823K Spratt has on hand. Mulvaney has raised about $262K so far this year, meaning he'll need a few good quarters to catch up with Spratt's incumbent advantage.

0zzy
06-10-2010, 01:29 PM
You know how reliable internal polling can be. Rolling eyes.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/05/spratt_challeng.php

Rep. John Spratt (D-SC) faces the toughest challenge of his career, according to a new survey conducted for his GOP challenger, as party strategists say they are increasingly confident in their ability to knock off the chairman of the House Budget Committee.

The Public Opinion Strategies (R) poll conducted for state Sen. Mick Mulvaney (R), obtained by Hotline OnCall, surveyed 400 likely voters between May 17-18 for a margin of error of +/- 5.3%. Spratt and Mulvaney were tested against each other.

GENERAL ELECTION MATCHUP
Spratt 43% (-5 from last, 10/09)
Mulvaney 41 (+6)
The GOP's pressure on Spratt has helped push his personal ratings down. A total of 42% see him favorably, down 9 points from the fall, while his disapproval rating has risen 14 points, to 33%. Still, few know Mulvaney, whose fav/unfav rating stands at an anemic 13%/5%.

GOPers say they expect Mulvaney to have a chance at beating the 14-term Spratt, provided Mulvaney can raise the money necessary to compete. At the end of the first quarter, Mulvaney had $206K in the bank, about a quarter of the $823K Spratt has on hand. Mulvaney has raised about $262K so far this year, meaning he'll need a few good quarters to catch up with Spratt's incumbent advantage.

824k? CHUMP CHANGE!

lx43
06-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I read on the website where Rick Santorium did a fundraiser for this guy. I still haven't found out his stance on foreign policy which is key for me; everything else I have read about him I have liked thus far.

0zzy
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I read on the website where Rick Santorium did a fundraiser for this guy. I still haven't found out his stance on foreign policy which is key for me; everything else I have read about him I have liked thus far.

I found a video, and, um, ya...
better not post it :o).

RileyE104
06-10-2010, 02:26 PM

post please...

BuddyRey
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, how is he on foreign policy? And is he open to persuasion from potential donors?

RileyE104
06-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Can anyone find this info out??

knarfxii
06-10-2010, 09:14 PM
is the real deal! I asked him when given the chance to repeal the Patriot Act, would he? He said he would absolutely, he is not willing to give up his Liberty for safety!

perfect answer!

rich34
06-10-2010, 09:25 PM

Why not? Post the damn thing for goodness sakes!

lx43
06-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Why not? Post the damn thing for goodness sakes!

I couldn't find it on Google or Youtube.

0zzy
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I couldn't find it on Google or Youtube.

it's on his own youtube account:
YouTube - Mick Mulvaney on Mallory Factor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDrevgU4KDE)

but, I guess he didn't really say anything bad after all. "cant be all things to all people." hm...

NEVERMIND D:

lx43
06-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I've emailed it, I'll paste his response to my questions should he reply.

Imperial
06-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Ive been doing some digging on this, and I found a couple good things.

Jason Lewis, the good talk radio host in Minneapolis, headlined a fundraiser for this guy (in South Carolina, half the country away)

PublicPolicyPolling shows Spratt up by only seven in January, and since then Mulvaney has had time to campaign hard.

HOWEVER, I spent a long while looking for ANYTHING on this guy's foreign policy, and I can't find it. Looking at that video, it looks like he cleverly diffuses questions on it before it comes up.

lx43
06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Well he hasn't responded to my simple question about his stance on foreign policy, the fed, budget cuts. Too bad he doesn't respond I could have donated $2,400 to his campaign and volunteered to help out.

Maybe you can have better luck than me.

Here is his contact information:

Contact
Mailing Address:
Mulvaney For Congress
P.O. Box 1975
Lancaster, S.C. 29721

Home: 803-547-0525 (Please don’t call after 8:30 at night…we have triplet 9-year-olds who go to bed early!)
Cell: 803-246-1001 (Usually the best way to get me; texts are great, too)
e-mail: MickMulvaney@mac.com
e-mail: Mick@MulvaneyforCongress.com

erowe1
06-15-2010, 01:47 PM
824k? CHUMP CHANGE!

Come again?