PDA

View Full Version : Undercover at Republican Election Night Parties

libertybrewcity
06-09-2010, 08:48 PM
When I decided it'd be funny to spend election night party-hopping the Republican events, I had no idea I'd end up meeting Vanessa Getty, hear Ross Mirkarimi tell me a joke and see a man asked to turn his September 11th conspiracy theory T-shirt inside out. But I'll never doubt this city again. San Francisco, you are weirder than I ever thought possible.

My very good friends, SFist's Brock Keeling and NBC Bay Area's Jackson West decided to join me on my quest to infiltrate a Republican election night party. It seemed like a wacky idea, something fun for our blogs. I threw on pearls, Jackson shaved his beard, Brock wore striped socks. I even tossed my great-grandmother's mink in my car for good measure.

We were dressing up as Republicans! Isn't this rich?

Brock, Jackson and I might differ in our lefty politics, but according to any red state rebel, we're each bound for hell. Everyone would be covering the Democratic events, we figured. Let's see what happens at Republican parties.

I'd heard a rumor that Republican Congressional Candidate John Dennis would be having a fancy shindig with free food and drinks at the Financial District's Palio D'Asti. Actually, I'd heard this rumor from Palio's owner, Chef Dan. And Dan made it clear that we were welcome to swing by and check out the scene. Brock, Jackson and I arrived at 6:30 p.m. and were ushered into the private room in the back.

Indeed, a full bar was flowing and lovely, fancy hors d'oeuvres were passed from uptight white person to uptight white person. It was then that I noticed the "9/11 Explosive Evidence" T-shirt man. His sideburns seemed almost aggressive as he pushed past us towards the asparagus pizza.

The back room of Palio is gorgeous, but it isn't huge. And the John Dennis folks filled up a little more than half of it. The crowd was certainly older. There were lots of well-dressed ladies and silver haired men, but I was most impressed with the collection of very beautiful, very similar young women. I stood in the middle of an Ann Taylor catalog and hoped my big hair and pearls were helping me blend.

All of a sudden, Ann Taylor Model Number 12 announces to the 30 or so of us gathered, "The candidate is arriving! Let's all go outside and greet him!"

No one reacted and she continued to plead. They actually wanted us to walk back through the restaurant and out the front door to stand on the sidewalk and applaud as John "Defeat Pelosi" Dennis arrived. I looked at her like she was nuts.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/culture/detail?entry_id=65369#ixzz0qPls4xG9

hmm..im going to send him an email about this.

HOLLYWOOD
06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Beth Spotswood = IDIOT

San Francisco's finest at typing faster than she thinks...

Brian4Liberty
06-09-2010, 09:26 PM
A sorry attempt at comedy filled with stereotypes. Nothing to see here.