PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on How John Dennis Can Become a Serious Challenger to Nancy Pelosi

MRoCkEd
06-09-2010, 08:34 AM
He needs to run "to the left" of Pelosi, taking all positions that "progressives" would agree with but which are compatible with libertarianism.

His ideas for low taxes and no bailouts will be enough to satisfy the Republicans (not like they are going to vote for Pelosi!)

But there's an overwhelming democratic population which Dennis needs to reach. I believe he should emphasize:

- Anti-Anti-Anti-War!
- Legalize pot! Reform drug laws!
- Repeal the Patriot Act! No Warrantless Wiretaps!
- No torture! Close GITMO!
- Pro-Gay marriage! (against federal mandates)
- Pro-Choice! (against federal mandates)
- Don't bailout Wall Street!

Do not talk about:
- Pro-Gun
- Anti-Healthcare Reform (speak on generalities about the need to care more about individuals than corporations)
- Repealing regulations, safety standards, or labor laws.

He should then also try to get endorsements from anti-war and other left-wing leaders such as Cindy Sheehan.

Ricky201
06-09-2010, 09:12 AM
He needs to run "to the left" of Pelosi, taking all positions that "progressives" would agree with but which are compatible with libertarianism.

His ideas for low taxes and no bailouts will be enough to satisfy the Republicans (not like they are going to vote for Pelosi!)

But there's an overwhelming democratic population which Dennis needs to reach. I believe he should emphasize:

- Anti-Anti-Anti-War!
- Pro-Gay marriage!
- Pro-Choice!

Do not talk about:
- Pro-Gun
- Anti-Healthcare Reform (speak on generalities about the need to care more about individuals than corporations)

He should then also try to get endorsements from anti-war and other left-wing leaders such as Cindy Sheehan.

I think you're sending the wrong message to the people of his district if he chants that he is "pro-choice" or "pro-gay marriage" when he has said time and time again that those are things that the federal government has no business in. Other than that, he should be chanting the other things.

Krugerrand
06-09-2010, 09:12 AM

- Anti-Anti-Anti-War!
- Pro-Gay marriage!
- Pro-Choice!

Do not talk about:
- Pro-Gun

Could you please identify where you find John Dennis supporting gay marriage or being pro-choice?

I think the unions are ripe to undercut their leadership and secure the workers' votes. I can't find a NO vote for her on NAFTA. She did vote against withdrawing from the WTO. I doubt union workers want their money funding any UN projects around the world. A commercial about spending she authorized that went to these projects tied into "Is this what your union dues bought you?" would be very effective.

MRoCkEd
06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
I think you're sending the wrong message to the people of his district if he chants that he is "pro-choice" or "pro-gay marriage" when he has said time and time again that those are things that the federal government has no business in. Other than that, he should be chanting the other things.
But that's effectively the same position for Californians. True, he wouldn't force other states to recognize gay marriage, but he should emphasize that he doesn't believe the federal government should interfere with California's decision to support these things.

Could you please identify where you find John Dennis supporting gay marriage or being pro-choice?

I think the unions are ripe to undercut their leadership and secure the workers' votes. I can't find a NO vote for her on NAFTA. She did vote against withdrawing from the WTO. I doubt union workers want their money funding any UN projects around the world. A commercial about spending she authorized that went to these projects tied into "Is this what your union dues bought you?" would be very effective.
Attacking unions is not the way to go..

Take a close look at the district - It is D+35!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California%27s_8th_congressional_district

BJ Lawson's district is only D+8.

Nancy Pelosi usually wins with over 80%.

furface
06-09-2010, 09:29 AM
State and local rights. I think I remember reading a poll once where a large amount of San Franciscans were for California seceding from the US. SF has always prided itself as being different, the "Baghdad by the Bay."

Don't stop slamming the federal government on:

1. Ceaseless wars.
2. Massive prison state.
3. Overriding California civil liberties and drug freedoms.
4. Privacy and intrusions onto civil liberties.

Try to stay away from gay marriage. I assume he believes it's a state issue. However even that's a problematic issue in SF where lots of people support a federal lawsuit to overturn CA's gay marriage ban.

RileyE104
06-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I think he should really stress 1) not just being Anti-War, but believing in NON-INTERVENTION, 2) Legalization, of course.. and 3) How the Federal Government shouldn't be involved with decisions involving Gay Marriage or Abortion

Krugerrand
06-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Allow me to take a look at the question from another angle ... what should the campagin strategy be? Does JD want to go on the attack early and strong in the hopes of building momentum and increased financial support? Would it be better stay low-key until late in the game. Let NP think this is an easy contest and she need not do any campaigning. Then, do a massive attack at the end and leave her little time to counter-attack/react. Massachusetts has a GOP senator because the DEMs did not take the contest seriously.

I'm not sure what I think is best ... but I'd be curious to hear others' thoughts.

Working Poor
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Maybe let NANCY THINK SHE DOES NOT NEED TO CAMPAIGN...

Krugerrand
06-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Do not talk about:

Health care should be attacked using the arguments that liberals on the left used. Frame it in the context of NP is acting on behalf of insurance and pharmaceutical companies - not residents of San Francisco. Passing bad legislation for the sake of passing can have disastrous consequences.

“We’ve paid the ransom, but at the end of the day the insurance companies are still holding the hostages,’’ Lynch said Friday. “This is a very good bill for insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. It might be good for Nebraska, I don’t know. Or Florida residents. But it’s not good for the average American, and it’s not good for my district. Or for Massachusetts.”
Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35976912/ns/politics-health_care_reform/?from=ET

In a story headlined: "Baffled by health plan? So are some lawmakers," a national news organization on Monday reported the discrepancy and wrote, "The confusion raises the inevitable question: If they did not know exactly what they were doing to themselves, did lawmakers who wrote and passed the bill fully grasp the details of how it would influence the lives of other Americans?"

To those readers who might think the above quotes were pulled from Fox News, we quote the Russian ambassador, speaking to the President in "Dr. Strangelove": "Our source was The New York Times."
This comes after the news that the law did not extend insurance coverage to "children" as old as 26, as intended, and would be highly unlikely to reduce insurance premiums or health care costs (also reported in The New York Times after the bill passed).

We are only beginning to discover what this bill will actually do versus what its advocates claimed it would do. The more that comes out, the clearer it is that rushing such a colossal piece of legislation into law was a huge mistake.
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Oops%2C+we+did+that%3F+More+ health+care+surprises&articleId=95a06f2f-35f5-460b-8bff-a4dbc185aa59

Krugerrand
06-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Perhaps stick to the door-to-door work. Then run ads showing Nancy campaigning for other candidates in other states.

dannno
06-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I agree with everything in the OP...

I'd love to see a big anti-war rally in Golden Gate Park with Ron Paul making a surprise appearance to tell the truth about our foreign policy and then support John Dennis. That will get them fired up, I tell you!

specsaregood
06-09-2010, 09:58 AM
But that's effectively the same position for Californians. True, he wouldn't force other states to recognize gay marriage, but he should emphasize that he doesn't believe the federal government should interfere with California's decision to support these things.

Uhm, somebody hasn't heard of "Proposition 8" Californians banned "gay marriage" in 2008. In many ways due to Obama's excellent GOTV with minorities who voted for Obama in the vast majority, but also voted for Prop. 8 in the vast majority. Which is ironic since Obama supports gay marriage.

furface
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM

My view is that you should always speak the truth loud and clear. Whatever crooks and liars have to say, let them say it.

Health care should be attacked using the arguments that liberals on the left used.

Don't attack health care. It should be a state issue. California could come up with a much better health care plan than Obamacare if we weren't taxed to death by the federal government to fight and spend on foreign wars.

dannno
06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Uhm, somebody hasn't heard of "Proposition 8" Californians banned "gay marriage" in 2008. In many ways due to Obama's excellent GOTV with minorities who voted for Obama in the vast majority, but also voted for Prop. 8 in the vast majority. Which is ironic since Obama supports gay marriage.

But he can still say he supports CA's right to have gay marriage..

Krugerrand
06-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Careful on that one. JD isn't running in all of California ... just San Fransisco.

dannno
06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
My view is that you should always speak the truth loud and clear. Whatever crooks and liars have to say, let them say it.

Ya I agree but the problem is they might give Pelosi a billion dollars to say it with :(

specsaregood
06-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Careful on that one. JD isn't running in all of California ... just San Fransisco.

I hear ya. My issue was with Mrocked saying that being against federal legislation of marriage is the same as being "pro" gay marriage in california. When the opposite is actually true now. As many pro-gay marriage people in california are no doubt looking for the federal government to override the state law which bans it. so actually, being anti-fed-involvment is anti-gay marriage in the state.

Krugerrand
06-09-2010, 10:06 AM
While I'm very interested in this race and have financially contributed to JD ... take my opinions for what they are ... somebody in Western PA that has no vote in the election.

Would it make sense for JD to publicly refuse any financial support from the GOP. "They chose their candidate, and their candidate already lost." Would that endear him to enough Democrats to make it worth the loss of money?

Would there be any money from the GOP? They may already consider it a lost cause and not worth their money. If that's the case, an early public refusal would be all good.

furface
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Ya I agree but the problem is they might give Pelosi a billion dollars to say it with :(

A simple truth will beat a billion dollar lie eventually. It's just really hard to micro-strategize a lot of these things. I've found that at a certain point it's best to stop worrying about schemes and just start being persistent about getting your message across.

klamath
06-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Emphasize being more anti war than Pelosi.
Emphasize her big banker bailout vote (TARP)

specsaregood
06-09-2010, 10:14 AM
One angle that could definitely be hit on is that Cali is a tax-donor state. If there was no federal taxes or less money going to the fed, cali would most likely not have a deficit.

K466
06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree he needs to make the tone of his message appealing to the left. We could get Pelosi and Reid out this year!!!!!!!! Too bad Sharon Angle isn't as good as Dennis.

furface
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
If I were John Dennis I would make a point of meeting as many people in his district face to face as possible. Do something that Nancy Pelosi would never do, which is go door to do and just start shaking hands. Hold big, free campaign events. People in SF love to party and most would never make it to a big money Pelosi campaign event. Nancy Pelosi is completely alienated from the people in her district. John Dennis should capitalize on this.

I once knew someone who said that Jane Fonda knocked on the door of her apartment campaigning for her then husband Tom Hayden. I know it's Jane Fonda who is famous, but people remember personal things like that. How many people do you think Nancy Pelosi will shake hands with? John Dennis can kick her ass on this aspect.

MRoCkEd
06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Would it make sense for JD to publicly refuse any financial support from the GOP. "They chose their candidate, and their candidate already lost." Would that endear him to enough Democrats to make it worth the loss of money?

Would there be any money from the GOP? They may already consider it a lost cause and not worth their money. If that's the case, an early public refusal would be all good.
I like it!

Jeremy
06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
He needs to attack her on war. He has nothing to lose. Every pro-war candidate before him has been destroyed.

Ricky201
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
If I were John Dennis I would make a point of meeting as many people in his district face to face as possible. Do something that Nancy Pelosi would never do, which is go door to do and just start shaking hands. Hold big, free campaign events. People in SF love to party and most would never make it to a big money Pelosi campaign event. Nancy Pelosi is completely alienated from the people in her district. John Dennis should capitalize on this.

I once knew someone who said that Jane Fonda knocked on the door of her apartment campaigning for her then husband Tom Hayden. I know it's Jane Fonda who is famous, but people remember personal things like that. How many people do you think Nancy Pelosi will shake hands with? John Dennis can kick her ass on this aspect.

I think that's part of the reason why he won his primary in the first place. John has been pretty good about going to places where Republicans haven't touched in years in San Francisco.

Travlyr
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM

NO... No... no... no... no... no... no... no... no... no... no... no... no... No... NO! This is politics.

Say, "I've been thinking about coming out of the closet." "It's about time we had true representation in congress." "Nancy voted for bailouts of the banks and for support of the wars, but I will propose a bailout for the people, and an end to the wars!" "Whatever money we save from ending the wars, I will give to the people of my district." "Our government wastes more each day than our district could spend in a year." The bailouts should have gone to the people in the first place, and if you elect me, then I will get you a nice big fat check, in your mailbox, by spring of 2011!" Vote John Dennis for congress!

Because it really doesn't matter what he says: YouTube - Obama promises to bring the troops home from Afghanistan. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p12cAclNCRU)

Nathan Hale
06-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Dennis has the perfect platform to undercut Pelosi - he got through the primary without having to undercut too many of his left-wing-friendly issues, so he has a chance. The key is to have a stealth campaign. Work the grassroots hardcore. Go door-to-door. Have house parties. Ambush Pelosi in the last month.

libertybrewcity
06-09-2010, 07:15 PM
a lot of what people have said has been right on with the people of san francisco.

What people need to know if that the unions in sf are extremely strong and active, and will campaign for pelosi while she does nothing. if we see pelosi campaigning in sf for something other than a bigtime fundraiser she knows that something is a threat.

john dennis has the republican vote and they will come out in droves once they realize republicans have a small chance. that is not a problem.

The major problem is getting the dems to cross over to vote for john dennis. SF is filled to the brim with party before principle types that will vote for pelosi no matter what. we need a strategy to get into their heads and make them think pelosi has betrayed the party.

John needs to be anti-war, anti-corporation and definitely liberal on social issues. When I was making phone calls for john, even Republicans were asking me straight up what John's stance on prop 8 was. I would say he believes in states' rights and they would tell me that is dodging the question. They want a yes or no answer. We can only imagine what kind of questions we are going to receive from dems and indys. Social issues will be key to race and there is no way to avoid them. Pro-choice and anti Prop 8 is the only way to go. There is no states' rights with this election for social issues.

He needs to attack her on war. He has nothing to lose. Every pro-war candidate before him has been destroyed.

As far as just attacking her on war, Cindy Sheehan ran and only landed about 15-20 percent of the vote. John needs to be an all around candidate be more than just a pro war candidate. He needs to be against the patriot act and the military industrial complex especially. people are into the local trend.

John isn't for environmental regulations so that will be something to overcome probably by being anti-corporatist. I think the first step to this whole process is making people think that Pelosi is in fact a corporatist. People are still brainwashed that Pelosi is "good".

MRoCkEd
06-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Pro-choice and anti Prop 8 is the only way to go. There is no states' rights with this election for social issues.
I'd have to agree

Krugerrand
06-10-2010, 08:24 AM
...john dennis has the republican vote and they will come out in droves once they realize republicans have a small chance. that is not a problem.

The major problem is getting the dems to cross over to vote for john dennis. SF is filled to the brim with party before principle types that will vote for pelosi no matter what. we need a strategy to get into their heads and make them think pelosi has betrayed the party...
Do you think my previous suggestion of refusing any money from the GOP would be of any benefit to this end? He could project himself as 'using the gop' to give people what they really want.

John isn't for environmental regulations so that will be something to overcome probably by being anti-corporatist. I think the first step to this whole process is making people think that Pelosi is in fact a corporatist. People are still brainwashed that Pelosi is "good".

I think this is key in many aspects - especially health care. Left-voters want universal health care. The anti-big phrama and anti-insurance companies is the way to attack her health care bill.

Brian4Liberty
06-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Even in SF, the gay issue does not make a campaign. Justin Raimundo is gay and it did not help. But it is a litmus test. Keep it simple. "I support the freedom and rights of all people. I support the freedom of gay people to marry."

Marijuana, also a litmus test, but no need to go any further then "I want to end the expensive and failed war on drugs. We need to decriminalize marijuana, and stop putting people in jail over it."

Focus on Nancy Pelosi:

- Her support of the wars.

- Her support of the bailout of the bankers (and how she ignored the vast majority of her constituents that opposed it. Get the numbers on that).

libertybrewcity
06-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Even in SF, the gay issue does not make a campaign. Justin Raimundo is gay and it did not help. But it is a litmus test. Keep it simple. "I support the freedom and rights of all people. I support the freedom of gay people to marry."

Marijuana, also a litmus test, but no need to go any further then "I want to end the expensive and failed war on drugs. We need to decriminalize marijuana, and stop putting people in jail over it."

Focus on Nancy Pelosi:

- Her support of the wars.

- Her support of the bailout of the bankers (and how she ignored the vast majority of her constituents that opposed it. Get the numbers on that).

yes, we can't focus on these issues but they are EXTREMELY important, maybe the most important issues to sf people. People already have this presumption of Republicans as being anti-abortion, anti-gay to the extreme, so we must transcend this.

And yes, highlighting nancy pelosi as a corporatist/war monger would be the most effective way to go. People know Nancy Pelosi and once they get in their minds that Pelosi is bad and this new guy John is good, maybe even good and almost a "democrat", they will change.

I am just speculating though. I don't the know the complete psyche of people in sf.

Krugerrand
10-25-2010, 10:24 AM
bump - because it's fun to look back on these every once in a while.

MRoCkEd
10-25-2010, 10:27 AM
JD seems to be implementing this strategy to a large degree. He'll surely post numbers better than any previous challenger.

malkusm
10-25-2010, 10:43 AM
JD seems to be implementing this strategy to a large degree. He'll surely post numbers better than any previous challenger.

I consider success to be 30%+ out there....hoping for the best. Nevertheless, I think it will take time to plant seeds out there that the libertarian wing of the GOP can work with them on a lot of the issues that they care about.

Nathan Hale
10-26-2010, 06:14 AM
Even if he loses, he can set himself up on a Lawson-like trajectory. Post awesome numbers this year, ride on his name recognition and performance through the primary in 2012 and spend his war chest then to destroy Pelosi.

LibertyMage
10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
He could work the precincts in his district.

Inflation
10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Reading comments from SF voters, I see many of them mention that Pelosi is not campaigning and it seems like there is no election happening.

John Dennis needs higher name recognition and an electorate aware that a Pelosi alternative exists.

It's too late for bumper stickers. Oh well.

There needs to be the appearance of an election!

If Pelosi won't campaign we'll do it for her, badly. Put up ugly signs commanding voters to "REELECT PELOSI!" next to Dennis ones if that's what it takes.

We need billboards all over SF saying "Fire Pelosi - Elect John Dennis."

Where is the Fire Pelosi Bus these days? It should be cruising through every neighborhood and crashing every public event in SF!

Keep the radio ads rolling! And keep watch on HQ at night, because Pelosi's opponents tend to become victims of broken windows.

Aratus
10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
it feels like my january senate race... JOHN DENNIS has yet to build up negatives as
the RNC is smucking poor nancy pelosi in all the 49 states out there including MY own
state let alone New Hampshire! is there any way to acknowledge CEO MEG and JERRY
without getting reefer madness conservatives all over libertarian people? the senate
race may have governor moonbeam having coat-tails, is it possible to say JOHN DENNIS
freethinks on social issues BETTER THAN JERRY BROWN EVER DID as folks say he is more
upset about the debt than CEO MEG who wonderously is media-blitzing as we speak?

Aratus
10-26-2010, 12:32 PM
are you folks so close to a legit headline

GOVERNOR MOONBEAM PART TWO?

Imperial
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Even if he loses, he can set himself up on a Lawson-like trajectory. Post awesome numbers this year, ride on his name recognition and performance through the primary in 2012 and spend his war chest then to destroy Pelosi.

He has already mentioned one possibility in an interview. If Nancy loses the speakership (seems likely atm), there is always the chance that she could resign her seat. In a special election, Dennis would then already have a campaign organization ready to go and would have turnout on his side.

I think a more realistic option could also be SF Board of Supervisors, if he were interested in it. Either way, Dennis is useful in getting Dr. Paul some delegates in 2012 based on California's weird allotment system.

Krugerrand
10-26-2010, 01:40 PM
~~
If Pelosi won't campaign we'll do it for her, badly. Put up ugly signs commanding voters to "REELECT PELOSI!" next to Dennis ones if that's what it takes.
~~

I like this. Signs that read something like:
Re-elect Nancy Pelosi - she's better than you are.

Inflation
11-01-2010, 03:02 AM
I like this. Signs that read something like:
Re-elect Nancy Pelosi - she's better than you are.

"Pelosi Forever!"

"SF Deserves Pelosi!"

Krugerrand
11-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Halliburton For Pelosi!
BP for Pelosi"