PDA

View Full Version : You won't believe what teachers assigned kids for homework.

jbrace
06-08-2010, 03:43 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view/20100608basic_lessons_of_cash_grab/

MelissaWV
06-08-2010, 03:49 PM
On the one hand, it'd be great if parents had to foot the bill for schooling, rather than people who'll never even live 100 miles from their charming little ones, send a child to school themselves, or work at a school. On the other hand, I object to the *FORCING* aspect of the whole thing, and certainly using students (especially young ones) like this is revolting.

libertybrewcity
06-08-2010, 03:50 PM
lol, i bet teacher was just going to pocket the money.

sevin
06-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Teaching them early on that in life you have to work hard to earn money then hand it over to the state. Nice.

FSP-Rebel
06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Teaching them early on that in life you have to work hard to earn money then hand it over to the state. Nice.
Practice makes perfect.

tremendoustie
06-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Teaching them early in life that the government demands money and obedience, and isn't a magical sugar daddy that gives you free stuff.

I bet this is an eye opening experience for those kids.

BamaFanNKy
06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
lol, i bet teacher was just going to pocket the money.

Guess who popped in my head?
http://thefameflame.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/the-hangover.jpg

TC95
06-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Parents should be footing the entire bill for their own kids' education, but these schools already get money from the parents, and people who don't even have children, through taxes. They can shove it. If they want money directly from the parents' pockets then they can quit taking taxpayer money and basically become a private school and charge the parents whatever they want. If the parents don't like the fee, they can shop elsewhere.

MelissaWV
06-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Parents should be footing the entire bill for their own kids' education, but these schools already get money from the parents, and people who don't even have children, through taxes. They can shove it. If they want money directly from the parents' pockets then they can quit taking taxpayer money and basically become a private school and charge the parents whatever they want. If the parents don't like the fee, they can shop elsewhere.

Not only that, but please realize that the "Federal" portion of the education budget is a big blob of funds. That means that you might well be paying for California's schools.

Seriously, I don't want kids, I don't have kids, I'm not having kids, I don't want to pay for this indoctrinating bullshit.

As the article said, a lot of teachers and unions are whining about not getting enough of a raise, or (gasp!) not getting a raise at all. Boo hoo. Have they *LOOKED* at unemployment lately? Why should teachers be immune to it?

GunnyFreedom
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
the sheer audacity of the teacher alone is enough to evoke feelings of shock and awe... even before you consider exactly what all was going on in the big picture...

BlackTerrel
06-08-2010, 04:23 PM

Hahaha. Well put.

BTW this can't be legal right? Any word from the school or the teacher?

Dr.3D
06-08-2010, 04:25 PM
So now they are teaching the kids they should be paid for helping out around the house?

MelissaWV
06-08-2010, 04:27 PM
So now they are teaching the kids they should be paid for helping out around the house?

Labor should be paid for ;) Of course, the child doesn't pay for shelter or food, most likely, or to be driven around, etc.. I would have been pushing my luck indeed to ask mom & dad for money just for keeping the house clean.

GunnyFreedom
06-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I dunno, intra-family labor I don't think should be accounted so much -- to me it's more like one unit working as a team to survive on the homestead. We have to rely on each other to get through this, and we are a family. Removal of trash and washing of dishes is essential to the survival of the homestead, as we as a family just pitch in to survive and thrive. Assigning chores to children helps to teach skills and habits that will lead to them operating an outstanding home in the future. I guess "the family" is the only actual collective I accept, and that one I embrace whole-heartedly and without reservation.

tremendoustie
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I dunno, intra-family labor I don't think should be accounted so much -- to me it's more like one unit working as a team to survive on the homestead. We have to rely on each other to get through this, and we are a family. Removal of trash and washing of dishes is essential to the survival of the homestead, as we as a family just pitch in to survive and thrive. Assigning chores to children helps to teach skills and habits that will lead to them operating an outstanding home in the future. I guess "the family" is the only actual collective I accept, and that one I embrace whole-heartedly and without reservation.

There's nothing wrong with voluntary collectives.

Noob
06-08-2010, 04:53 PM
On the one hand, it'd be great if parents had to foot the bill for schooling, rather than people who'll never even live 100 miles from their charming little ones, send a child to school themselves, or work at a school. On the other hand, I object to the *FORCING* aspect of the whole thing, and certainly using students (especially young ones) like this is revolting.

We just should do away with Public Schools.

Vessol
06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
There's nothing wrong with voluntary collectives.

Yup, they can actually work very well in very small units(ie: families, or small communities). It's when they grow is when they become a major problem.

ChaosControl
06-08-2010, 05:05 PM
So if parents have to fund the school, why exactly do we even have public schools?

ChaosControl
06-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Yup, they can actually work very well in very small units(ie: families, or small communities). It's when they grow is when they become a major problem.

Actually I kind of like them. And I think as long as the community didn't get bigger than 100 or so people, it could do fine. I wouldn't mind even forming one based on organic farming and self sustainability some day.

dannno
06-08-2010, 05:40 PM
So if parents have to fund the school, why exactly do we even have public schools?

A liberal would argue that poor parents wouldn't be able to afford to send their kids to a good school, or maybe even to any school, and so the kid wouldn't have the same opportunities and it isn't their fault because they don't choose their parents.

But of course the result is that pretty much everybody gets a really crappy education.

Anti Federalist
06-08-2010, 05:49 PM
From the article:

You’ll be stunned to learn this happened at a school in New Jersey.

No, I'm not. Not at all. In fact, that explains 99% of this story.

GBurr
06-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Add in the fact that on average NJ public schools spend just shy of $15,000 a year per pupil. Private schools are performing much better at 1/3 the price.

For $15,000 you could send a kid to a preparatory school.

RM918
06-08-2010, 06:22 PM
No, I'm not. Not at all. In fact, that explains 99% of this story.

Figure it's just the unions still trying to grandstand against Christie?

JenH88
06-08-2010, 07:37 PM
all it takes to get an education is the desire to learn.. (and EVERY child is born with a burning desire to learn- the "why" phase is well known) libraries have free internet access. theyd do better help for true education just by making more books available to read free online..

but thats not the aim of course.. all of public schooling is specifically aimed to suppress the desire to ask. to hand over one's logic to "experts". to make slaves.. and well.. to get rich and attain power in the process..

as far as the article.. unbelievable! though not surprising..