PDA

View Full Version : Almost to the front page Digg: Obama goes ghetto, seeks to kick ass

libertythor
06-08-2010, 10:30 AM
http://digg.com/politics/Obama_Goes_Street_Seeking_Ass_to_Kick_Over_Oil_Spi ll

MelissaWV
06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
When people do this to people we support, we get upset and say that it's an attempt to avoid addressing the actual issues at hand. When people do this to someone we oppose, it's hilarious news.

Being inconsistent sucks.

libertythor
06-08-2010, 10:33 AM
When people do this to people we support, we get upset and say that it's an attempt to avoid addressing the actual issues at hand. When people do this to someone we oppose, it's hilarious news.

I just want this article to make Digg history. It would be the most negative Digg article on Obama to make the front page.

MelissaWV
06-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I just want this article to make Digg history. It would be the most negative Digg article on Obama to make the front page.

It doesn't bother you in the least that the phrase being made so much of ("kicking ass") was fed to him by Matt Lauer, a part of the video conveniently left out? The implication that Obama came up with the phrase on his own and is "going ghetto" is nauseating.

I'm in the minority on this one, though, as I realized in the other thread about this already.

libertythor
06-08-2010, 10:37 AM
It doesn't bother you in the least that the phrase being made so much of ("kicking ass") was fed to him by Matt Lauer, a part of the video conveniently left out? The implication that Obama came up with the phrase on his own and is "going ghetto" is nauseating.

I'm in the minority on this one, though, as I realized in the other thread about this already.

He shouldn't be taking his political tips from Matt Lauer or Hollywood. BHO needs to lay off of the celebrity parties.

Aratus
06-08-2010, 10:42 AM
expect this to set off "jack tough" and expect more swear_talk out of the mouth of "jack tough" real soon, now...

MelissaWV
06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
He shouldn't be taking his political tips from Matt Lauer or Hollywood. BHO needs to lay off of the celebrity parties.

The question was why he wasn't down in Louisiana kicking butt.

He answered it using similar verbiage.

It's not a "political tip" and the fact people aren't even bothering to see the entire thing, which I suffered through this morning, is ridiculous.

What am I saying, though? I'm sure people tracked down the source and watched the entire interview, looking for valid points to criticize, and not laughing it up about "Obama going ghetto" because he responded to a question with the same verbiage it was asked with.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/37568416#37568416

He hasn't heard any good ideas that would work. He talks about fishermen on the verge of tears. They discuss the Administration's response, including "there is no evidence the slick is coming from the oil rig" comments the day after the sinking of the rig. There's talk about deep drilling and shallow drilling (which is mornic considering it's the Government who wanted these companies to go deep to start with).

In other words, there's plenty of stupidity to address.

At around 8:10 in, he talks about the moratorium on deep drilling and how awesome shallow drilling is. A little thereafter they talk about how the Gulf might look like shit for now, but maybe in a few years it won't. :rolleyes:

@9:50
Matt Lauer: "Critics are now talking about your style... they're saying here's a guy who likes to be known as 'cool, calm, and collected,' and this isn't the time for cool, calm, and collected. This is not the time to meet with advisors, this is a time to spend more time in the Gulf and --- I never thought I'd say this to a President --- but, kick some butt. And I don't mean it to be funny."

The video being circulated begins at 10:50.

Is the objection actually that Lauer says "butt" and Obama says "ass"? Or is it because people think the notion of "kicking butt/ass" is "ghetto"?

I don't get the giggles over this.

All the other bullshit in this interview, and people seize on this. Way to fall into the superficial trap, folks. Bravo.

Bruno
06-08-2010, 11:27 AM

As you mention, "butt" was used by Matt Lauer, he chose "ass". He could have just avoided using either.

This rethoric by him (and Matt) comes after similar comments by Bill Maher and Spike Lee calling for him to "be a real Black President" and to "go off!" No coincidence.

He also says, "there's not an idea out there brought forth by the critics that we haven't explored..." I heard there were over 38,000 suggestions already offered to BP. His administration has already gone through all those options? Amazing. :rolleyes:

Now watch him respond to his critics by calling the BP exec and "giving him a piece of my mind" (finally).

As a side-note, I had his "tuh, tuh, tuh" instead of "to" when he isn't using a telepromptor.

Jordan
06-08-2010, 11:44 AM

BlackTerrel
06-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Logic fail. People in the ghetto do not use the term "kick ass".

Obama was raised in Hawaii. Not the ghetto.

sratiug
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Obviously you never spent a night in jail for saying damn to a sheriff pointing a gun at you that just ripped your brand new jacket after you called him to report the bad guys. It was ghetto bullshit. He couldn't kick anybody's ass.

It's funny Lauer thinks Obama would call and bitch out a CEO when it works the other way around.

akforme
06-08-2010, 11:48 AM

LOL good one.

Bruno
06-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Do you speak for all ghettos? Grouping them together? Collectivist. :p :rolleyes:

And I've heard plenty of people from my town's more "ghetto" regions use that phrase when I was in school.

I don't think he was trying to be ghetto, just trying to "be tough" to respond to critics that said he should.

libertythor
06-08-2010, 03:27 PM

I know that. It is just funny that he is slipping like this right after a couple of comedians joke about him supposedly not being "black enough".

It is almost like Obama is forcing a couple of gaffes to counter that.

libertythor
06-08-2010, 06:51 PM
bump

osan
06-09-2010, 05:55 AM
The question was why he wasn't down in Louisiana kicking butt.

He answered it using similar verbiage.

An error on his part because he should have suspected an ambush. He's the friggin president, after all, and should always expect an ambush. :(

It's not a "political tip" and the fact people aren't even bothering to see the entire thing, which I suffered through this morning, is ridiculous.100% agree. I despise Obama - what he stands for, what he does, and how he does it. I do NOT do it as an ideologue, but based on the substance of his actions and no matter how much I may dislike him either as president or even as a man, I will not allow myself to indulge in the sort of nonsense you describe here because it is unvarnished bullshit. And as I believe you mentioned elsewhere, if we are willing to engage in this sort of baloney, how are we better than they are when they do it? We either walk our talk or we are as full of shit and evil as they are and the title to liberty we generally claim rings hollow. I would also add that such behavior does nothing good for the credibility of such persons. I will add further that there is no difference between such people and those they criticize unjustly.

Is there anything more frightening than a mob that wrings its hands, drooling and licking its lips as the people therein mirror in every significant manner those they seek to cast into the flames while claiming to be radically different and that they hold some moral high ground? Such people are the scariest things I can dredge from my imagination.

In other words, there's plenty of stupidity to address.Agreed, so let us not indulge such falseness. There is no need and in the eyes of smart people it severely damages the credibility of those who do.

Is the objection actually that Lauer says "butt" and Obama says "ass"? Or is it because people think the notion of "kicking butt/ass" is "ghetto"?I believe it is about disparaging him at any opportunity, plausibly or otherwise, just because he is who he is, which is utter bullshit. These same people would criticize him even if he did something undeniably correct.

We, the people, are in enough trouble as it is. Behaving as unprincipled morons is not making things better for the cause of freedom.

Thanks for bringing this up - people need to hear it, not that it will change anyone's behavior, I fear.

osan
06-09-2010, 06:03 AM

They do in the ghettos in which I grew up in NYC.

The ghetto is more a state of mind than a place, FYI.