PDA

View Full Version : The Tea Party And The Drug War

libertybrewcity
06-08-2010, 04:13 AM
I don't know if this was posted already..
interesting regardless:

Voter dissatisfaction with Republicans and Democrats is at historic levels, and the tea-party movement is hoping to play kingmaker in the November elections. The country's current breed of discontent is ideal for the tea parties, because economic concerns are foremost, allowing the movement to sidestep the divisions between its libertarian and conservative wings.

As the elections near, however, voters will want to know where the party stands not just on the economy but on social issues. A perfect illustration is drug policy, where conservatives advocate continued prohibition but libertarians argue for legalization. Which way should the tea party lean when this issue arises?

If the party is true to its principles — fiscal responsibility, constitutionally limited government, and free markets — it must side with the libertarians.

Fiscal responsibility means limiting government expenditures to programs that can be convincingly said to generate benefits in excess of their costs. This does not rule out programs with large expenditures, or ones whose benefits are difficult to quantify; national defense is guilty on both counts, yet few believe that substantial military expenditure is necessarily irresponsible.

Any significant expenditure, however, should come with a credible claim that it produces a benefit large enough to outweigh both the expenditure itself and any ancillary costs. From this perspective, drug prohibition is not remotely consistent with fiscal responsibility. This policy costs the public purse around $70 billion per year, according to my estimates, yet no evidence suggests that prohibition reduces drug use to a significant degree.
www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php%253FstoryId%253D127527893

Which way will the tea party lean?

nelsonwinters
06-08-2010, 04:55 AM
From this perspective, drug prohibition is not remotely consistent with fiscal responsibility.

not to mention the whole "Don't Tread On Me", pro-Constitution. pro-states rights theme.

speciallyblend
06-08-2010, 05:21 AM
The Tea Party will have to be for ending the drug war and ending marijuana prohibition! if it is not, then it will be another useless biggovgop arm!!

idirtify
06-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Someone should stand up and read that OP at a TP rally. If one can break into religious song at get all that attention and fame, then surely one can break into a logical policy position on the drug war and get SOME attention.

But this could be added to the end of the piece:
“…yet no evidence suggests that prohibition reduces drug use to a significant degree. BUT ALL EVIDENCE PROVES THAT IT MAKES DRUG USE, AND ALL ASPECTS OF LIFE, FAR MORE DANGEROUS.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
06-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Fiscal responsibility means limiting government expenditures to programs that can be convincingly said to generate benefits in excess of their costs.

I've never taken "fiscal responsibility" to mean that governments should be engaging in for-profit activities for either themselves or the population.

Working Poor
06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Until the tea party comes out against all the wars of I will never believe they are for fiscal conservativism. I am sure many of us here feel the same way.