PDA

View Full Version : What a Ron Paul president would do.

Legend1104
06-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I read an article from Ron Paul a few months ago about what a constitutional president would look like and it got me to thinking. Could a constitutional president get away ending programs by the mere fact that they are unconstitutional? What I mean is take, Andrew Jackson for example. When he was president he thought the national bank was unconstitutional and vetoed it. Not wanting to wait until it actually ended, he pulled all of the funding out of it and put it into "pet banks." Could a constitutional president say that something was unconstitutional and decide not to carry it out? for example saying, "The role of the president is to uphold the constitution and social security is unconstitutional . Therefore, I am not going to have it collected." Would this constitute an overstepping of his power, or would this be an example of him fulfilling his role of upholding the constitution?

TCE
06-07-2010, 10:38 PM
As ironic as it is, the only real way to minimize government as the President at this point is to use Executive Orders. Strip all of the regulatory agencies of their power, order all the troops home, don't nominate anyone to unconstitutional cabinet positions and let them die and/or nominate people who would dismantle them.

Brett
06-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Reminds me of when Bush said he had to abandon the free market in order to save it.

I don't think I would respect Ron Paul anymore if he ignored the Constitution to "save" it. He'd have to fight for freedom through legal constraints.

TCE
06-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Reminds me of when Bush said he had to abandon the free market in order to save it.

I don't think I would respect Ron Paul anymore if he ignored the Constitution to "save" it. He'd have to fight for freedom through legal constraints.

In my scenario (all legal actions), he would be sacrificing due process to restore some liberty.

Matt Collins
06-07-2010, 11:31 PM
It would look something like this:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/rockwell/30-day-plan.html

libertybrewcity
06-07-2010, 11:41 PM
As ironic as it is, the only real way to minimize government as the President at this point is to use Executive Orders. Strip all of the regulatory agencies of their power, order all the troops home, don't nominate anyone to unconstitutional cabinet positions and let them die and/or nominate people who would dismantle them.

this may be seen as quite hypocritical though as ron paul has criticized the misuse of executive orders and the expansion of the executive branch in the past century. Ron may be able to do some good with exec orders but he will likely need a congress on his side to repeal the beasty legislation.