PDA

View Full Version : Progressives & the Obama administration

tangent4ronpaul
06-07-2010, 10:29 PM
This was a conference from today. Listening to it kind of made my ears bleed, but picked up some useful things. It should be up on the C-SPAN archives now or RSN, if you are feeling masochistic.

First off, they are not happy with Obama. The love affair is over. MoveOn, etc have tried to get seats at high level white house meetings and been rebuffed.

They are talking about "weeding" their own politicians. Those deemed too moderate, and those that vote for corporate interests.

They think they have had some significant wins with the current administration / Congress, but feel let down.

There is going to be a huge push to make corporate control of government an issue this election. We really need to follow suite. I don't think I've seen a single liberty candidate that has made this a platform issue, though some will not accept corporate donations. Another big issue is campaign finance reform.

They are approaching corporate control from the perspective of "the other 98%" - I think that's a web site too. Basically saying that lobbyists are working hard to keep 98% of the wealth in 2% of the pockets. We oppose it for different reasons. They are completely oblivious to the health care bill being a huge hand out to corporate profits.

Glen Beck scares the hell out of them.

They are not going to let go of Rand's comment on the civil rights act and are going to push their bent version of that to try and win in KY.

They think a huge win would be only loosing 3-5 Senate seats and 15 House seats because expectations are higher for a bigger loss.

They want to target Republicans that never vote with them and would consider gaining 1-2 of their seats a major victory.

The founder of Daily KOAS had a good argument against term limits. He said that CA had this and it was a disaster because the politician wasn't in the job long enough to get good at their job, so unacountable consultants actually ran things.

hmmmm....

Government agencies actually have FFRDC's to fill this function - to provide a corporate memory.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf05306/

Jobs are on their agenda.

all I can remember, right now.

-t

tangent4ronpaul
06-07-2010, 11:24 PM
That was a quick half page of posts for the middle of the night!

blimp!

-t

tangent4ronpaul
06-08-2010, 04:08 AM
ugh! - BLIMP!

hay - Matt did it! ;)

-t