PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina's Nikki Haley now up 20 points

Flash
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Lexington state Rep. Nikki Haley holds a 20 percentage-point lead in the four-way race for the Republican gubernatorial nomination, according to a poll conducted Sunday by North Carolina-based Public Policy Polling.
According to Sunday's automated telephone survey of 998 likely Republican primary voters, Haley totaled 43 percent support. U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett polled second at 23 percent support, up 7 percentage points from a PPP poll two weeks ago. Haley held a 21-percentage point lead in a PPP poll two weeks ago, but overall support for her reflected in Sunday's poll is up 4 percentage points.
The PPP analysis said it was likely Barrett would make an expected runoff against Haley.
"There's probably a better chance of her avoiding a runoff on Tuesday than not finishing first unless something crazy happens to shake up the race in the final 24 hours," the PPP analysis said. "The person who's really had a good couple of weeks is Gresham Barrett."
The former front-runner, Attorney General Henry McMaster had fallen to third at 16 percent, and Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer was fourth at 12 percent.
Haley, 38, has suffered no political damage from unproven accusations by two men that they had a physical relationship with the married mother of two, PPP said. Haley's favorability rating among voters has increased since the previous PPP poll.
According to the poll, 54 percent did not believe the accusers. One-third said they are not sure, and 13 said they thought the accusations were true.
Haley has said she would resign if proof of infidelity emerges, and 42 percent surveyed agreed she should drop out of the race.
"Nikki Haley's in good shape," said Dean Debnam, president of Public Policy Polling.
"Her campaign has deflected the allegations against her well, and so far she hasn't suffered any political damage in the wake of them."

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/07/1668130/south-carolinas-nikki-haley-now.html

Imperial
06-07-2010, 06:56 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/07/1668130/south-carolinas-nikki-haley-now.html

Wow, only a few weeks ago the frontrunners were McMaster and Bauer, with Haley kinda far behind and Barrett much further back.

HOLLYWOOD
06-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Public Policy Polling (PPP) is consistently one of the most accurate polling companies out there... good for Nikki Haley.

JosephTheLibertarian
06-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Didn't she have an affair?

BuddyRey
06-07-2010, 07:41 PM
YouTube - SA@TAC - Nikki Haley and the New Conservatives (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MH_H5yeVbg&playnext_from=TL&videos=HBGfYJoHbuo&feature=sub)

RSLudlum
06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Trying to painting her with the "Sanford Brush" has actually backfired..

0zzy
06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Didn't she have an affair?

if you watch the mainstream media and believe everything they say, then yes, she had an affair.

but you know better than to trust the MSM :).

TCE
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow, only a few weeks ago the frontrunners were McMaster and Bauer, with Haley kinda far behind and Barrett much further back.

Where did you read that? PPP had Haley up by 21 a bit ago. www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_SC_525.pdf

JosephTheLibertarian
06-07-2010, 09:08 PM
if you watch the mainstream media and believe everything they say, then yes, she had an affair.

but you know better than to trust the MSM :).

I just saw headlines.

Razmear
06-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Two different campaign workers, one of Barrett's and one of Bauer's each claim to have slept with her, it's all last minute slander and has already backfired on them.
Nikki needs better than 40% to avoid a runoff election with whoever comes in 2nd.

Here is my ballot for tomorrow in District 3 (Barrett's current district):

Governor:
Nikki Haley

Lt. Governor:
Bill Connor

U.S. Senator:
Jim DeMint

State Superintendent of Education:
Kelly Payne

District 3-- US House of Representatives
Mike Vasovski

Comptroller General:
Mike Meilinger

Attorney General:
Alan Wilson *

State Treasurer:
Curtis Loftis

Q1:
Yes

Q2:
Yes

The AG spot has an asterisk cuz I really don't like any of them, but he seemed the least evil. All the rest seem to be Pro-Liberty candidates.

btw, the establishment hates Haley, even hear stupid redneck comments about here on morning talk shows, raghead etc, so that make me want to see her win even more.

eb

libertybrewcity
06-07-2010, 09:19 PM
im not familiar with south carolina politics. is nikki haley a liberty candidate or true conservative?

Razmear
06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
im not familiar with south carolina politics. is nikki haley a liberty candidate or true conservative?

I think both, but definitions of "true conservative" vary widely.
http://www.nikkihaley.com/about-nikki

If you want to look her up. Primary day is tomorrow.

eb

RSLudlum
06-07-2010, 09:28 PM
The AG spot has an asterisk cuz I really don't like any of them, but he seemed the least evil. The remaining ones seem to be Pro-Liberty candidates.

btw, the establishment hates Haley, even hear stupid redneck comments about here on morning talk shows, raghead etc, so that make me want to see her win even more.

eb

Just about the total opposite here in the lowcountry with respects to Haley. Most of the callers on WTMA are for Haley and have voiced the same sentiment of the attacks having the opposite effect and garnering more support for her.

What's with you upcountry folk? ;)

Razmear
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
What's with you upcountry folk? ;)

I moved down here from Vermont, I take no responsibility for the idiots who surround me.

I was listening to a 93.3 fm morning show replay driving into work on Saturday morning, they are a rock station with the typical morning show idiots. They were going on about the raghead comment and googling to see what race she was and just going on with general insulting stuff about Hindus and so forth. I was half awake so I don't recall all the details, but it ticked me off a bit.

I hope she gets the 40% so it will put an end to all the BS. If there is a runoff the big lies will start to come out.

eb
undercaffinated

TCE
06-07-2010, 10:35 PM
What are Questions 1 and 2?

Razmear
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
What are Questions 1 and 2?

Advisory Questions – Republican Party Primary – June 8, 2010
The following advisory questions will appear on the June 8, 2010, Republican Party
Primary ballot. The questions are advisory in nature only and will have no direct
effect on any State law or the S.C. Constitution.

Advisory Question 1
The healthcare reform bill recently signed into law by President Obama requires all American citizens to
purchase health insurance or else to pay a fine to the federal government. The legislation also contains tax
benefits and other inducements that apply only to certain states, benefits that were apparently designed to
persuade those states’ Senators or Representatives to vote for President Obama's healthcare reform Bill.

Therefore, be it resolved:
The South Carolina General Assembly should defend the freedom of all South Carolinians to make their
own healthcare decisions by enacting legislation making it illegal to force the citizens of South Carolina to
purchase health insurance or participate in a healthcare plan against their will, or to comply with any of the
provisions or mandates of nationalized healthcare that do not apply equally to all states.

Do you agree with the resolution above? Yes or No

Advisory Question 2
Growth of state spending should not exceed the growth of the economy.
Therefore, be it resolved:
The South Carolina General Assembly should enact legislation to limit state spending growth in South
Carolina to a growth rate not to exceed the lesser of the annual percentage growth in income of the State's
citizens, or the growth in population plus inflation.

Do you agree with the resolution above? Yes or No

Aratus
06-08-2010, 07:36 AM
the governor's wife likes nikki haley and does not believe the slurs, rumors
and/or outright lies being spread like reeking less composted fertilizer???
if there is a further boost and/or jump in the polls in the next few hours?
it looks like she will not need a run-off if the grapevine gossip is ignored

Razmear
06-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Local news is reporting about an 18% expected turnout. We voted about noon and I was the 73rd on the sign in sheet. No one else was around.
Polls close at 7pm, hope she breaks the 40% barrier.

eb

AGRP
06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
YouTube - SA@TAC - Nikki Haley and the New Conservatives (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MH_H5yeVbg&playnext_from=TL&videos=HBGfYJoHbuo&feature=sub)

Oh God.

Southern Avenger speaking about the current takeover of the GOP establishment?

Pleasure overload!!!

I dont know what to do!!!!!

AGRP
06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
This is what ill do :)

YouTube - Barrett booed at Greenville Tea Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QsY2r7HbTM)

Razmear
06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Correction, she needs 50% +1vote to avoid a runoff.
Hoping she gets it in the first round and will be voting for her again if I need to in 2 weeks, regardless of the lies being spread about her.

eb

Flash
06-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Right now shes at 51%

http://www.politico.com/

Razmear
06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Still very early, less than 1% reporting. The low country is where she is expected to do very well.

eb

Razmear
06-08-2010, 06:32 PM
21% reporting
Haley 45.2%
Barrett 22.8%
McMaster 19.1%
Bauer 12.9%

50% needed to avoid a run off election in 2 weeks.

eb

Flash
06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Incumbent Inglis is out of office.

Razmear
06-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Sweet!
Ingles and Barret out of the house.
Haley is at 48.4%, If Lexington country continues on the same track then she should break 50% and avoid the run off.

eb

BamaFanNKy
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
listening on WTMA.com Jack Hunter break it down.

justinc.1089
06-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm in SC district 1 and voted for Haley and Thurmond.

Does anyone know how Mike Vasovski (hope I spelled his name right!) is doing? Does he have a shot to win over there?

Razmear
06-08-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm in SC district 1 and voted for Haley and Thurmond.

Does anyone know how Mike Vasovski (hope I spelled his name right!) is doing? Does he have a shot to win over there?

Mike has no chance. I voted for him but he is at about 7% right now.

Also Ingles is not out yet, he advances to the run off in two weeks.

Haley is about 1% away from not needing the run off, but it seems unlikely she'll pull it off with 98% reporting. Barrett should get smoked, unless another one of his staffers says they boinked Nikki or he pulls some other dirty tricks.

eb

Flash
06-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Also Ingles is not out yet, he advances to the run off in two weeks.

Yeah I forgot SC had that run-off rule.

BamaFanNKy
06-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Talk of a white flag and no run off.

justinc.1089
06-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Barrett's going to look like an idiot if he goes through with the run-off lol.

angelatc
06-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Barrett's going to look like an idiot if he goes through with the run-off lol.

Unless he has a sex tape...:)

justinc.1089
06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Unless he has a sex tape...:)

He better hope he has one, I just found out from my local news Barrett MUST go through the run-off according to our state law.

The ONLY way Barrett can withdraw and not go through with the run-off against Haley is if Bauer and McMaster also withdraw so that there are no other candidates.

BamaFanNKy
06-08-2010, 09:14 PM
He better hope he has one, I just found out from my local news Barrett MUST go through the run-off according to our state law.

The ONLY way Barrett can withdraw and not go through with the run-off against Haley is if Bauer and McMaster also withdraw so that there are no other candidates.

He can have a ballot but ask for his voters to vote for Haley.

Razmear
06-08-2010, 09:15 PM
One of Barrett's cronies, Davenport, was behind the original allegations of an affair, so expect more dirty tricks from his camp.
For the good of the party he should step down as he has no chance of winning. All he can do is add enough smears to give the Dem a better chance.
He came close to loosing in his House district, somehow Oconee Country gave him a 2 to 1 victory when all the other counties went for Haley or were nearly tied. He lost in Anderson by about 140 votes :D.

eb

lx43
06-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I hope bailout Ingles loses in the run off. Of course I don't know that much about his republican opponent either.

justinc.1089
06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
One of Barrett's cronies, Davenport, was behind the original allegations of an affair, so expect more dirty tricks from his camp.
For the good of the party he should step down as he has no chance of winning. All he can do is add enough smears to give the Dem a better chance.
He came close to loosing in his House district, somehow Oconee Country gave him a 2 to 1 victory when all the other counties went for Haley or were nearly tied. He lost in Anderson by about 140 votes :D.

eb

I doubt anything too crooked went on there because there are at least some people that like him not only there, but all over SC. I know my own dad and a friend of my dad's voted for him for example. I tried and tried to talk them out of it... but Barrett had offered my dad's friend's two sons jobs with SLED if he was elected governor, so my dad's friend really wanted my dad to vote for Barrett.

RSLudlum
06-08-2010, 10:57 PM
but Barrett had offered my dad's friend's two sons jobs with SLED if he was elected governor, so my dad's friend really wanted my dad to vote for Barrett.

the good ol boy network is alive and well

Razmear
06-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I doubt anything too crooked went on there ....

I'm not alleging anything crooked, unless inbreeding is a crime :D
Seneca is Barrett's home town, I think, so no surprise he'd do well there, just didn't think he'd win by 3000 votes.

eb

justinc.1089
06-09-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm not alleging anything crooked, unless inbreeding is a crime :D
Seneca is Barrett's home town, I think, so no surprise he'd do well there, just didn't think he'd win by 3000 votes.

eb

Lol, yeah Seneca is where my dad's friend is from, and still lives, and I actually lived somewhat close to there as a kid for a short time. So my dad's friend knows Barrett somewhat and thats why Barrett said he would try to get my dad's friend's sons a job with SLED.

I'm not particularly impressed about that really, but I guess its not that bad. Regardless, I didn't vote for Barrett and didn't think much of him.