PDA

View Full Version : Man bans cops from his buisiness.

Vessol
06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Why aren't the MSM jumping all over this :rolleyes:.

YouTube - COPS NOT WELCOME! Cafe Owner Bans Police From His Business (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-geofKDngLs)

AmericaFyeah92
06-07-2010, 03:56 PM
hahahahaaaaaa!

Hope he sticks to his guns. Of course, if he gets burglarized he may be in an awkward position...

heavenlyboy34
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
3 cheers for the store owner!

sratiug
06-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I wonder if he put a sign up barring police and they sent an undercover cop in could he file charges against them for impersonating a civilian?

Toureg89
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
hahahahaaaaaa!

Hope he sticks to his guns. Of course, if he gets burglarized he may be in an awkward position...
no, he won't. when he pays taxes, he's paying the salary of his local PD, so they are obligated to serve him.

but, by the same token, he is not obligated to sale his own property (coffee) to LEOs via his property establishments (coffee shop).

government can not discriminate against people, as it does not have "rights". people can.

silus
06-07-2010, 07:09 PM
no, he won't. when he pays taxes, he's paying the salary of his local PD, so they are obligated to serve him.

but, by the same token, he is not obligated to sale his own property (coffee) to LEOs via his property establishments (coffee shop).

government can not discriminate against people, as it does not have "rights". people can.
Well said. Nonetheless expect response time to suffer.

ChickenHawk
06-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Either he is an intolerant collectivist or this is a publicity stunt designed to appeal to those that are. It's probably both.

JosephTheLibertarian
06-07-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't like banning anyone from my business, unless they cost me $$$, then yeah. Otherwise no.

I wish him good luck :) Local cops may target that sucker.

Old Ducker
06-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Haha! I know that place and have eaten there before.

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Either he is an intolerant collectivist or this is a publicity stunt designed to appeal to those that are. It's probably both.

Wrong. I hope every business owner disallows any Government employee from their establishments. You think our Revolutionary tavern owners allowed in their occupiers, and tyrants do you? British are welcome! Eh, I don't think so.

Starve the beast! They must know that they do not have the support of the population.

ChickenHawk
06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Wrong. I hope every business owner disallows any Government employee from their establishments. You think our Revolutionary tavern owners allowed in their occupiers, and tyrants do you? British are welcome! Eh, I don't think so.

Starve the beast! They must know that they do not have the support of the population.

Law enforcement is a legitimate function of governement and one of the requirements for government to even exist. If he wanted to ban cops that are known to use excessive force on an individual basis that would be one thing, but banning all cops is intollerant and stupid. However, IRS agents I could agree with.

BuddyRey
06-08-2010, 12:40 AM
I wish I could patronize this man's business.

tremendoustie
06-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Law enforcement is a legitimate function of governement and one of the requirements for government to even exist. If he wanted to ban cops that are known to use excessive force on an individual basis that would be one thing, but banning all cops is intollerant and stupid. However, IRS agents I could agree with.

Cops in portland are notorious.

low preference guy
06-08-2010, 01:17 AM
SCANDAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOMEONE TELL RACHEL MADDOW!!l

libertybrewcity
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
this is great. i wonder what would happen if someone banned gays or women or some other group of people?

low preference guy
06-08-2010, 01:23 AM
this store owner sounds like a liberal that would agree with Rand Paul's defense of private property.

Slutter McGee
06-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Back in college I worked at an all night diner. We told cops they couldnt come in until after 3:30 in the morning. If they came in earlier...we lost tons of business. Plus cops dont tip worth shit.

This doesnt seem like a business decision, so probably dumb move on his part. But I do support private property rights, so good for him.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

demolama
06-08-2010, 07:51 AM

There is nothing legitimate about the police force, it is a construction of the mid 19th-century. Local constables and sheriffs, however, are the only legitimate law enforcement entity that dates back to Roman times. What we consider law enforcement today is no different than the standing army that Britain imposed upon the colonies after the French and Indian war-- garrisoned troops functioning as local law enforcement. We may call them police but they are essentially soldiers in all but name.

They get special treatment for what they do as a job. British soldiers who shot and killed innocent civilians were shipped back to England to face trial so that they could easily get off. Today local law enforcement kill people... they get paid leave, internal reviews, and nothing remotely close to a trial.

They are a special group of citizens because they work for government... they are not accountable to the people at all... we do not elect them... they are hired.

Sheriffs and constables are the only law enforcement we elect.

LibertarianfromGermany
06-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Nah, has nothing to do with collectivism to judge people by their groups if you consider becoming a member of that group can be considered an action in itself. For example, while it would be collectivist to say "All Jews are greedy", saying "All police officers are statists" is not, because becoming a police officer in itself is a support of the state. Therefore if you are against the state in general (or certain functions of it), it is entirely reasonable to ban people who represent that state from your private property.

And being an Ancap, I disagree with your first statement also, but we won't get to a conclusion on that in a short discussion anyways so I'm not gonna get into that.

TinCanToNA
06-08-2010, 08:09 AM

Starve the beast! They must know that they do not have the support of the population.I assume by Revolutionary tavern owners you mean the Patriots, as the colonies were almost evenly divided among Tories, Patriots, and those seeking neutrality.

I think you're being a tad extreme, but to each their own.