PDA

View Full Version : Making Ron look "presidential"

vertesc
06-07-2007, 04:10 PM
One of the big problems with RP's image - as discussed in other threads - is the fact that he just doesn't look or act "presidential." In interviews he looks like a nice old man, but he seems like a wimp next to someone who is polished and square-chinned like Romney. I wouldn't suggest Paul get so greasy that water beads off him, or betray the honesty that makes him such a great candidate; but there is a lot he could do to sell that honesty better.

Think about the image he really excels with: the straight talker, the honest guy who is completely guileless. That is a great image, very presidential. Think Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031679/). But his stature, his gait and his appearance don't support the Jimmy Stewart we see inside.

I'm sure we can offer lots of suggestions about how to help... but there are professionals who are PAID to do this stuff, and do it well. Would anyone be interested in starting a fund to pay for one of these image professionals?

Bob Cochran
06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
One of the big problems with RP's image - as discussed in other threads - is the fact that he just doesn't look or act "presidential."
I kind of think that, too. But his record and message are winning more people every minute. His image might not matter!

We'll see. I like him just the way he is.

DjLoTi
06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Ron's a baller. ;)

Sal Collaziano
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
You think Ron Paul should... CHANGE?! I understand where you're coming from but a man can't get much a better following than Ron Paul has - AS IS!

MusoSpuso
06-07-2007, 04:18 PM
One of the big problems with RP's image - as discussed in other threads - is the fact that he just doesn't look or act "presidential." In interviews he looks like a nice old man, but he seems like a wimp next to someone who is polished and square-chinned like Romney. I wouldn't suggest Paul get so greasy that water beads off him, or betray the honesty that makes him such a great candidate; but there is a lot he could do to sell that honesty better.

Think about the image he really excels with: the straight talker, the honest guy who is completely guileless. That is a great image, very presidential. Think Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031679/). But his stature, his gait and his appearance don't support the Jimmy Stewart we see inside.

I'm sure we can offer lots of suggestions about how to help... but there are professionals who are PAID to do this stuff, and do it well. Would anyone be interested in starting a fund to pay for one of these image professionals?

I somewhat agree but what you are talking about really is the job of his campaign handlers. I would hope they know what they are doing in this respect but perhaps a friendly email reminder?

DrStrabismus
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Well, he's said that he wants to be a weak president, so hopefully people will realize that that is the role the president was supposed to play. He's supposed to be limited, I think a lot of people want the president to be almost king-like though.:(
Personally, I think it takes the stronger person to restrain one's self when they have the opportunity to take more power.

RPR-omaha
06-07-2007, 04:20 PM
I thin Ron Paul looks fine. To me he looks like a really nice grandfatherly figure. I think that can be easily sold as presidental.

SeanEdwards
06-07-2007, 04:42 PM
He's supposed to be limited, I think a lot of people want the president to be almost king-like though.:(

This reminds of a quote from by that nutcase, Katherine Harris, who said, "God is the one who chooses our rulers." :rolleyes:

Regardless of whether you think divine intervention is involved, there is no way in hell that our elected officials should be confused with 'rulers'. At most, they are hired administrators. At least that's what they should be in a democratic republic.

Oh yeah, I think Paul looks totally Presidential. He looks like freakin Gandalf. Put him in a white robe and a funny hat, and the battle for middle earth is on!

specsaregood
06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I thin Ron Paul looks fine. To me he looks like a really nice grandfatherly figure. I think that can be easily sold as presidental.

To me he looks, acts and just seems like a knowledgeable trustworthy grandfather should. I wouldn't change it much at all. I would like it if a bit more often, he showed the true anger/compassion that he feels. There have been a few instances where you see that, but not quite enough. When he does, it is powerful.

Ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_BjK1QqDOo at 6:50 into it.

LizF
06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
It certainly couldn't hurt to have someone who helps w/the nonverbal communication stuff (e.g. I remember someone in another thread said that they thought RP would have done well to sit up straighter during an interview they saw him do).

I remember a talk given by a theater studies prof who taught a class in public speaking say that the communication of a message can be divided into 3 parts:

-- 60% visual presentation (appearance: looks/attractiveness; clothes; hair; etc.)
-- 30% oral presentation (delivery of the message: what your voice sounds like; accent; rate of speech; pauses; etc.)
-- 10% message itself

However we don't want RP to get so caught up in this image to the detriment of his (very powerful message), as an important part of his appeal IMHO is that he is *not* slick, packaged, and processed like most of the other candidates in both parties. The BBC article someone posted in another thread speaks to this.

I think his wisdom and avuncular qualities can go a long way. Moreover, he is physically fit, dresses well (I mean the navy suit is practically a uniform for these guys anyways), and makes eye contact with whomever he speaks, exuding earnestness.

Others on this forum may have better suggestions, which they should feel free to share, but off the top of my head, I'd recommend RP: 1) be more mindful of his posture when doing televised sitting interviews, and 2) perhaps slow his speech/delivery somewhat during radio interviews. I'd never noticed the second concern before I listened to his interview this week w/NHPR's Laura Knoy on "The Exchange"; I thought RP did very well and was given an opportunity to articulate some points he has not had a chance to express during the debates, but I think he would have done well to slow his rate of speech just a tad so that those with a slower baud rate would have been able to savor more fully RP's wonderful message. )

Just my $0.02.

LizF
06-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Another (somewhat snarky) comment/observation is that after 6 1/2 yrs of a president who has been an abysmal public speaker, most of the 2008 candidates (even Tommy Thompson) already seem smooth and polished by comparison.

Sakimoto
06-07-2007, 05:28 PM
I just want Ron to be himself. That's what I like about him. It is what sets him apart from the greasy politicians and their phony demeanor. Asking him to change is being superficial.... I say if America wants to elect our president based on image rather than substance, we deserve what we get...

Misesian
06-07-2007, 05:30 PM
A friend of mine from work today was pointing out how he looked like some cartoon character and than he realized who it was. Laurel from Laurel and Hardy. He did a google and he DOES actually look like the cartoon version especially.

I just said "What's wrong with that?!" :)

I hope American has woken up enough to realize that a pretty face doesn't make a good president. Also it's hard to argue that Rudy and McCain are better looking gentleman than Ron Paul. He is a pretty tall guy, and looks in decent shape since he's an exercise maniac. Just stop slouching, and maybe do something about those yoda forehead lines and the "presidential look" will be mitigated.

Another friend of mine, RP supporter, said that RP looked kinda like Dr. Death in one particular interview, you know, Jack Kevorkian.

Though on the flip side, my wife thinks he is cute, and another female coworker of mine said the same thing. He DOES have that very nice and sweet grandfatherly persona about him which works too.

beermotor
06-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Well, he's said that he wants to be a weak president, so hopefully people will realize that that is the role the president was supposed to play. He's supposed to be limited, I think a lot of people want the president to be almost king-like though.:(
Personally, I think it takes the stronger person to restrain one's self when they have the opportunity to take more power.

... we have to show them, that IS king-like! There's a lot of arguments that monarchy may actually be superior to democracy, in that monarchs are less likely to be swayed by irrational winds. Ron Paul is a rational, thinking man - something everyone should strive to be. The rest of those guys are all just manipulators, like the guy said about Duncan Hunter on the CNN comment page - "all steak, no sizzle." CARTOONS. Caricatures of real men.

Ron Paul is like intellectual Fight Club. Rational thought, REASON, is like a nuclear attack on the dogmatic manipulators. His image plays into this perfectly. He is diametrically opposed to them - that is his strength - people pick up on that unconsciously. These are the kinds of things they try to teach you in law school in the litigation class.

Trust me, he's doing just fine.

james1906
06-07-2007, 05:47 PM
his downhome, folksy manner plays well. he stands out from the rest that way. remember, he's a doctor by trade.

Bloody Holly
06-07-2007, 05:53 PM
The honesty in his face when he speaks looks presidential enough for me!

Richandler
06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
The whole idea is to get a candidate elected who thinks that is all. Paul is the only one to do so.

Bossobass
06-07-2007, 06:04 PM
After having met with and spoken to Congressman Paul, I can say this without hesitation:

All he has to do is look straight into the camera and be himself. When the truth is delivered with sincerity, with RP staring you right in the eyes, well let's just say it's pretty darned powerful.

The debate venue doesn't work as well because you have to look at everyone in the audience vs straight into a camera.

Not to mention it beats the heck outta watching Jr stutter his way through a used-car sales pitch any day.

Bosso

ksuguy
06-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I think he has improved in his recent appearances. He just sounds more confident and energetic.

LFOD
06-07-2007, 06:50 PM
hmm.. now that you mention it, the comparison to Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is perfect! That character is almost an icon of American culture - Ron can tap into that affection Americans have for the honest guy who isn't flashy but is not afraid to stand up to the big dogs of politics and who isn't trying to be anything other than what he is.

SeanEdwards
06-07-2007, 06:55 PM
hmm.. now that you mention it, the comparison to Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is perfect! That character is almost an icon of American culture - Ron can tap into that affection Americans have for the honest guy who isn't flashy but is not afraid to stand up to the big dogs of politics and who isn't trying to be anything other than what he is.

I think it would be cool if one of the folks who is good at making youtube videos put together one that explicitly made that connection by showing a clip of James Stewert from "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" juxtaposed with Ron Paul addressing Congress.

LFOD
06-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Videos are great! I love seeing all the spontaneous creative input that's going into the campaign - from original songs to videos to home made signs - WOW How about a T-shirt store with cool original design T-shirts? Donate everything after expenses to the campaign? Continuing on the Mr. Smith theme, the front could have a big smiling picture of Ron with the words "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "Ron Paul 2008" on the back....

SeanEdwards
06-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Videos are great! I love seeing all the spontaneous creative input that's going into the campaign - from original songs to videos to home made signs - WOW How about a T-shirt store with cool original design T-shirts? Donate everything after expenses to the campaign? Continuing on the Mr. Smith theme, the front could have a big smiling picture of Ron with the words "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "Ron Paul 2008" on the back....

"Mr. Paul goes to Washington"?

vertesc
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Aha! I knew that SOMEONE here would be familiar with the movie. For you young whippersnappers, "Mr. Smith" is Jimmy Stewart, down-home farmboy who is simple and honest. He gets sent to Washington to fill out the term of a senator who passed away, in the expectation that he'll be totally manipulable, a puppet to the powers that be. Of course, it turns out that he's a real American Boy, and he becomes the one honest man who stands up to dirty politicians.

He becomes Ron Paul. I agree that the honesty of his message is what makes him such a strong candidate, and that should never change (and never will change, I'm sure). But I'm talking about little things, like being conscious to stand straight when talking to a camera, like making a conscious effort to always get the fire in his speech that we hear when he gets passionate. Or like standing straight, looking another candidate straight in the eye without flinching, and saying without any guile: "you mean you NEVER read the 9/11 commission report?"

No one is talking about compromising Ron's identity. I'm talking about making his VISUAL identity match up with the content of his message. He MUST be different, even diametrically opposed to the look of Rudy McRomney... but that difference doesn't mean he should slouch, and look apologetically at the camera in an interview.

jon_perez
06-08-2007, 11:42 AM
I find absolutely nothing wrong with the way Ron Paul presents himself.

His honesty, passion, intelligence and sincere concern for his country shines through every time he talks. If that is not enough for Americans, then they do not deserve someone like Mr. Paul.

And actually, I think Ron Paul knows how to create flair and drama when needed like any politician needs to.

In fact, I felt that in the New Hampshire GOP debate he went just a tiny bit overboard with his "pro-constitution" spiel and alienated the (self-labeled) Republicans a bit. The real-time poll showed a clear divergence in response between uncommitted and Republican during the portion he talked about leaving Iraq asap. (My opinion was that he should have reiterated on the Vietnam experience even more - when Americans left Vietnam to completely "fend for itself", the communists did win out but it did not spell disaster for the US at all - back then it was communists, today it is Islamic fundamentalists...)

Which is not to say he should pander to these people but just that he make an effort to figure out why a certain group of Americans - people who in fact consider themselves as having Republican values which is precisely who Ron Paul considers himself as representing - feel the way they do. Adhering to principles (e.g. the constitution) is a top quality for a leader to have, but listening to and understanding people is every bit as important.