PDA

View Full Version : Where Is Summer?

tpreitzel
06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree. This might be another year without much of a summer. This Wednesday, the forecast is for approximately 80 F in south central Montana which will be one of the warmest days so far this year. However, the temperatures are due to drop back into the mid 60 F range within a day or so afterward. A couple of days in the 80s every couple of weeks don't really constitute summer in this area. How much of this aberration is due to volcanic activity, aerial spraying (see thread, What in the world are they spraying? [1]), solar activity or some combination thereof? Strange days indeed.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/06/04/1217165/more-rain-in-boise-when-will-it.html

[1] http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=246805

Vessol
06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I dunno about you, but it sure felt like summer today in Eastern NC.

libertybrewcity
06-06-2010, 08:17 PM
the coldest winter i ever spent was a summer in san francisco- mark twain

BuddyRey
06-06-2010, 08:23 PM

Word! The incredibly muggy, sweltering days we often experience during Carolina summers make me envy folks in the Rocky Mountains.

FreeTraveler
06-06-2010, 08:25 PM
It's seriously summer here south of Nashville, TN. It's broken 90 a couple days already, and lots in the high 80s.

RSLudlum
06-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Word! The incredibly muggy, sweltering days we often experience during Carolina summers make me envy folks in the Rocky Mountains.

93degrees in Charleston today

specsaregood
06-06-2010, 08:44 PM
It is definitely summer here in NJ. 90s all last week and I have a bunch of tomatoes already blooming and some will be ready to eat by the 15th, while 4th of july is usually a good hope to have some tomatoes by date here.

Justinjj1
06-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Summer is alive and well here in Texas. It broke 100 today.

RSLudlum
06-06-2010, 08:57 PM
It is definitely summer here in NJ. 90s all last week and I have a bunch of tomatoes already blooming and some will be ready to eat by the 15th, while 4th of july is usually a good hope to have some tomatoes by date here.

Oh yeah! I've already been picking beans, peppers, and cucumbers for two weeks and the corn is tassled. I'll be picking my first tomatoes this week and maybe some carrots.

tpreitzel
06-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Well, maybe there's hope for the remainder of the warmer months ... So far, it's absolutely not even close to summer in the NW US...

I remember the summer of 1980 (extreme one, I'll agree) where the high temperature in OK was 100+ F for 45+ days in a row ... The equivalent in the northern Rocky Mountains would have been in the 80s... So far this year, we're struggling to hit mid 70s with a LOT of overcast as well.

james1906
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
It's summer here in the Piney Woods. Woke up early and mowed the front yard at 9 am. Got too hot, so I didn't mow the back until 7 pm.

dannno
06-06-2010, 09:35 PM
I've already picked a bunch of tomatoes.. roommates got a big harvest of corn, mine was not so good cause i started most of it a little later and we had to move, didn't end up putting the corn in containers and moving it, i just took all the corn off. They weren't quite ready.

Hasn't gotten really hot, but it's always pretty temperate here.

Icymudpuppy
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I haven't seen a day over 59 yet this year. It's been cold and wet. My corn, tomatoes, and squash look mighty pekid.

CGeoffrion
06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
It's been a hoooot summer so far up in MA as well. Coolin off a bit this week finally

Fredom101
06-06-2010, 10:20 PM
It's a typical June so far here in San Diego. Overcast skies, highs around 68-70. May was much colder than average.

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-07-2010, 12:06 AM
It's been a little colder than usual. Usually around the low 60s, but Milwaukee is notorious for its cold weather...

puppetmaster
06-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Jetstream is low for this time of year. If you are above it you are cold and below typical summer...
we are on or above the jetstream alot this year and we had wind and cold for the first five months!

BuddyRey
06-07-2010, 02:34 AM
It's been a little colder than usual. Usually around the low 60s, but Milwaukee is notorious for its cold weather...

You wanna tell me what a principled Voluntaryist such as yourself, whom I have always admired, is doing living in the Republik of Viskonsin? :D

talkingpointes
06-07-2010, 02:39 AM
It's summer here was 111 for the afternoon high yesterday and the same is expected of today.

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-07-2010, 02:48 AM
You wanna tell me what a principled Voluntaryist such as yourself, whom I have always admired, is doing living in the Republik of Viskonsin? :D

Haha. Yeah, I am not fond of Wisconsin whatsoever. Well, I am stationed here (CG), and I can't wait to leave this place in a little under a year. I'll be much more at home once I arrive in NH :p (Though I will say, there are some amazing local liberty activists, who I admire. Liberty on the Rocks & Adam Mueller doesn't live too far away)

Thanks for the kind words.

Vessol
06-07-2010, 02:52 AM
There are coast guard bases in Wisconsin O_o

libertythor
06-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Summer isn't official until June 20th.

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-07-2010, 03:16 AM
There are coast guard bases in Wisconsin O_o

Yep. Sector Lake Michigan is one of the largest Sectors in the country. We handle all of Lake Michigan and the inland rivers/lakes around the lake.

tpreitzel
06-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Yep, where is summer? Now, a tornado rips through Billings, MT yesterday afternoon. My RV no longer has 3 skylights thanks to the marble sized hail. Furthermore, I've been noticing an apparent * aerial spraying program over the past couple of months over the Billings, MT. Anytime Billings, MT receives nearly 1/5 of its annual rainfall in a few hours, one knows something wacky is occurring and I'm not entirely convinced it's simply nature behind it. I was a few miles away from Metra Park at the time. I simply saw the hail and lightning.

YouTube - Tornado Destroys MetraPark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlGsNN7TPrc)

* I Don't know for sure, but Sunday afternoons sure seem odd with the planes and contrails which last for hours.

MelissaWV
06-21-2010, 09:29 AM
It's going to be in the 90s again in Florida. That's a cooldown from being over 100, though, so I suppose one should be grateful. Hot, humid, with a good chance of afternoon storms.

It seems like summer's doing just fine.

GunnyFreedom
06-21-2010, 09:35 AM

It's seriously summer here south of Nashville, TN. It's broken 90 a couple days already, and lots in the high 80s.

93degrees in Charleston today

Summer is alive and well here in Texas. It broke 100 today.

Yes, Summer is definitely hiding out in the SouthEast.....

AmericaFyeah92
06-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Still waiting in Washington state :(

paulitics
06-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Joe Bastardi is predicting a record breaking hot summer and hurricane season in the east this year. He is usually on target with his long range forecasts. He doesn't believe in global warming, but thinks the set up is ripe for whacky weather.

acptulsa
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Summer is down here, as the Texan observed. Alive and well. Come take all of it you want; we'll be happy to spare you some.

It's a typical June so far here in San Diego. Overcast skies, highs around 68-70. May was much colder than average.

And June in Diego differs from January in Diego how exactly...?

Todd
06-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Same here in VA.

Why..about the first of May we had a few days in the 90's.

fisharmor
06-21-2010, 10:07 AM
This Wednesday, the forecast is for approximately 80 F in south central Montana which will be one of the warmest days so far this year.

If that's the case, I might be moving to Montana soon.... just to raise me up a crop of dental floss....

The problem is that I like it cool, and I'll take a good bit of cold in the winter, but y'all take it waaaay to far there.

BTW here in Northern VA we're also staring down the barrel of 90 degrees all week. All the grass in the area is starting to brown already.
And almost exactly four months ago we were under three feet of snow.

Anti Federalist
06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Gorgeous, sunny, dark blue sky and 10-15 kt. NW wind.

About 75 or so.

NH FTW, again. :p

JK/SEA
06-21-2010, 10:09 AM
In the PNW its typically cool and wet in June. It's actually the rare years that we get hot weather in June. July and August and September are the true summer months around here, so everything appears to be normal....so far.

rich34
06-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Maybe not for you, but in WV it's been summer for about 2 months now. I tell ya it seems like we did a little bit of spring and then just went straight to summer.

Fredom101
06-21-2010, 10:15 AM
73 and sunny yesterday in home sweet home san diego!

Scofield
06-21-2010, 10:22 AM
70degree weather is not summer weather.

Summer has not reached upstate New York this year. Nor did it come last year.

I am disappoint.

RM918
06-21-2010, 11:41 AM

I am disappoint.

It's 85 right now down here. That's why I'll never move any closer to Canada than I am now.

MelissaWV
06-21-2010, 11:46 AM

I am disappoint.

Buffalo, NY 10-day Forecast:

Today, Jun 21; Mostly Sunny; High 78°; Low 64°

Tue., Jun 22; T-Showers; High 80°; Low 68°

Wed., Jun 23; Mostly Cloudy; High 81°; Low 70°

Thu., Jun 24; Few Showers; High 79°; Low 63°

Fri., Jun 25; Partly Cloudy; High 76°; Low 60°

Sat., Jun 26; Partly Cloudy; High 81°; Low 68°

Sun., Jun 27; Scattered T-Storms; High 83°; Low 67°

Mon., Jun 28; Isolated T-Storms; High 78°; Low 62°

Tue., Jun 29; AM Clouds / PM Sun; High 78°; Low 62°

Wed., Jun 30; Mostly Sunny; High 78°; Low 61°

Average High for the above? 79.2°

CoreyBowen999
06-21-2010, 11:51 AM
94 degrees every day down here in Houston. I HATE YOU ALL

puppetmaster
06-21-2010, 12:14 PM
still all about the jetstream. We are way below average so far this year. still no days in the eighties and we should be averaging 80's now. Our alfalfa crops are a least three weeks behind for this time of year.

speaking of country....
Went to the Rodeo last night in Reno and heard a Joke by the Rodeo Clown.

He said that one good thing about the "Cash for Clunkers" program is that is got about 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road. ;)

Fredom101
06-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Summer is down here, as the Texan observed. Alive and well. Come take all of it you want; we'll be happy to spare you some.

And June in Diego differs from January in Diego how exactly...?

Well June is usually more overcast than January, highs in the upper 60's both months, lows are around 60 in June, mid-40's in Jan.

It's a rough place to live. ;)

rancher89
06-21-2010, 03:30 PM
The roofers took a break at the hottest part of the day today (YIPPEE new roof going on) even they think those who do tar roofing or work on highway construction during the summer are nuts. They'll be here til the sun goes down and back tomorrow at dawn.

AZ--Phoenix--been there, done that, we used to take the siesta (I did swimming pool maintenence a couple of years there.) It is just too freaking hot from 1-3 PM to do any serious work (unless your life depended on it...even then I'd try to do whatever you had to do at sometime other than the peak hours.)

You just don't know how much the humidity affects the temp until you leave the south, live in 5-10% humidity for 6 years and then fly home. Seriously, it was like hitting a brick wall getting off the plane in Atlanta.

It's a lot more comfortable at 111* w/5-15% humidity compared to 98* w/100% humidity. The south would have never become so populated without air conditioning. How I grew up without it, I don't know....Unfortunately, we might end up getting used to it again...

Paulitical Correctness
06-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Mississippi's rather hot.

Scofield
06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I am really starting to get irritated with the piss poor weather.

If it's not overcast and chilly, it's warm (mid-70's) with slight cloud coverage. There hasn't been a 90 degree, with bright blue sky, day in two years now. It's already June 22nd, and I still have yet to even put my feet into my pool or even lay outside in the sun reading a book or relaxing.

Shit, last year I only got to go swimming about four times.

Razmear
06-22-2010, 02:05 PM
104 here today according to my digital thermometer. I'll trade for your 'piss poor' 70's in a heartbeat.

Scofield
06-22-2010, 02:07 PM
104 here today according to my digital thermometer. I'll trade for your 'piss poor' 70's in a heartbeat.

Sounds good.

Enjoy the constant overcast, rain, wind, and chilly temperatures!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-22-2010, 02:13 PM
110 degree Heat index here in Baton Rouge, LA

Summer has been here for over a month. :(

MelissaWV
06-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Sounds good.

Enjoy the constant overcast, rain, wind, and chilly temperatures!

I found upstate New York invariably depressing, and I've only ever visited. It's something about the region that always made me feel glum.

Scofield
06-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I found upstate New York invariably depressing, and I've only ever visited. It's something about the region that always made me feel glum.

Yeah, it is pretty depressing these days.

Bad weather, not much to do, high cost of living, lack of jobs, outrageous taxes, poorly run government, a University system without national recognition (meaning, since I go to an instate University, I'm going to be stuck in upstate New York or in the tri-state area), lots of poverty, and on and on.

Why the hell do I still live here?

RCA
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Muggy summer nights are why I love the South. Heat without humidity = discomfort. California is for vacations.

osan
06-22-2010, 06:40 PM
I agree. This might be another year without much of a summer. This Wednesday, the forecast is for approximately 80 F in south central Montana which will be one of the warmest days so far this year. However, the temperatures are due to drop back into the mid 60 F range within a day or so afterward. A couple of days in the 80s every couple of weeks don't really constitute summer in this area. How much of this aberration is due to volcanic activity, aerial spraying (see thread, What in the world are they spraying? [1]), solar activity or some combination thereof? Strange days indeed.

Are you kidding? It was 100* today in beautiful Elkview WV ... and about 90% humidity. By 7 AM I was sweating like a pig as I shoveled a few wheelbarrowfuls of dirt from one place to another.

Thus far, plenty of summer here.

satchelmcqueen
06-22-2010, 08:40 PM
i land survey for a living and trust me, it is summer!